Millionaire Challenge

Options

Comments

• lessonlearned
    lessonlearned Posts: 13,337 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    Hi Al - welcome.

Sounds like you are off to a good start and at aged 25 you are in a great position. I'm sure that your OH will soon be as enthusiastic as you are - all it takes is those few baby steps and a little taste of success and there will be no stopping you.

Don't do yourself down about a lack of skills or education. Skills can be acquired at any time of life. And, in any case, it's not about aptitude it's about attitude. If you are patient and have a good strong work ethic you will reach your goal. I know plenty of wealthy people who failed miserably at school. Some of them are millionaires, some are just "comfortable" - all of them refused to give in. All of them worked hard and found their own little niches.

Definitely a good idea to have short term goals - it does help to measure your progress as you go. Helps you to stay focussed. And it's also good to give yourself a little reward or treat along the way. A nice meal out occasionally, or a little holiday or in Tink's case a fab car.

In my case it's usually a painting or a nice piece of sculpture or pottery, or when I'm being naughty - a gorgeous piece of jewellery. I justify my naughty little spends because in the past my collections have been good investments that have saved my bacon. Although I sold a lot of my art and antiques when I was broke I did manage to hold on to my "good" jewellery. These will be for my niece and my future daughters-in-law and any granddaughters I may have. In the meantime I get the pleasure of wearing them and I swan around feeling like a million dollars.

Well after Tuesday's devasting news and a couple of days licking my wounds I feel a lot better - perhaps the sun helps lift the spirits. It's hard to be too miserable when the sun is shining so brightly.

I am managing to get OH out in the sunshine each day. Even if he does sleep the day away at least he's out in the fresh air and when he is awake he "supervises me" as I potter about, tending my little nursery of pot plants or pottering about in the bungalow or in his room at the nursing home.

I have already turned his room into a little bedsit with his favourite paintings and treasures from our travels over the years. I bought myself a comfortable armchair and of course I have my yoga stuff in there so I'm all geared up to spending lots of time with him.

I'm going to take a spare cafetiere and my own coffee. I'm afraid I'm a real coffee snob:o, I will also take some goodies to eat and perhaps the odd bottle of vino …….

When the weather is bad I'll also take some needlework (tapestries or embroidery) to while away the hours and I will buy a new CD player as well as setting up his iPod. I have already started stockpiling him some "talking books" but will save them in case he slips into a coma. Apparently his hearing will likely be one of the last of his senses to fail so at least he can listen to music and have someone read to him when I can't be there. It's the best I can do but hopefully he will be comfortable and kept entertained a little.

I've contacted all his old friends and colleagues to let them know how the land lies and several have already said they want to visit him. I've also lined up a few outings for the days he is up to it.

So all in all I've tried to dream up ways to make things go smoothly and to ensure he is well cared for. He knows the score and whilst he is disappointed of course he is calm and serene.

Obviously I will be devoting most of my time to him whilst trying to spend a bit of time with my parents too and really won't have any time for money making schemes. Luckily the renos on both properties are going really well and the boys don't need me to be quite so hands on. Having said that I will still be supervising the landscaping, helping with colour choices etc and should manage to do a bit of furniture up cycling in my spare moments.

That little plant nursery of mine is doing well. I buy small plants and grow them on, take cuttings etc - I've saved a small fortune doing this. In fact I'm already thinking ahead to next years planting schedule…….

Everyone has been so kind - both on here and in real life. I have my wonderful boys and my family and friends to support me.

If I could use a racing analogy. My OH is not yet on the "final furlong", he is however most definitely on the "Home Straight".

Whilst it is so desperately sad that his life is going to be such a short one (he is 57) and I shall of course miss him dreadfully, I can console myself that we have had 33 glorious happy years together - much more than some people get. We've packed a lot of living into those 33 years and we've had an absolute ball. I don't regret one single moment.

I shall have thousands of memories to treasure and sustain me and my fabulous boys will be his legacy.

And then, when it's over and the dust has settled I shall get back to the task in hand - perhaps not £1m but perhaps I can manage £500K - if I can stick around long enough without losing my marbles. ;)
  • tinktay84
    tinktay84 Posts: 299 Forumite
    Options
    LL, even now you are inspiring people more than you will ever know.
    There are obviously no words any of us can say that will make the pain or the inevitable any easier BUT we are all here. I am sure I speak for a lot of us on here when I say we are happy to be your sounding off board.If youre stressed, angry, uspet..even if you feel like youre being silly or selfish, we wont think that.We will be the ones to pick up the troubles you offload.
    I know all too well that what you type on here isn't a true reflection of how you feel and the image you project is often a more positive one than reality. I am more than happy for you to message me privately even if its just for a good old moan about something daft like running out of your fave coffee! I wont judge, I wont try and give you answers...I will however be there with as many clich!s I can fit into one message :-) :-)
    trainee millionaire (aka not there yet!)
  • lessonlearned
    Options
    Aww thanks Tink.

At the moment I don't feel too bad. I guess that's because I can still be of use and value to OH. I can entertain him, make him feel comfortable and act as his interpreter (most of the time). We can still communicate a little. We can still spend some quality time together.

I can however foresee a time when I will only be able to stand by and watch helplessly, when the only thing I can offer is just "being there".

I can foresee dark days ahead and yes I may well need to come on here and rant and rage sometimes.

One day at a time………

Hope you've had a good week.

Looks like we are in for some great weather this weekend.

Enjoy.

Tomorrow I shall be spending most of the day with DS2 at the flipper. OH will be watching the footie (Cup Final). I draw the line at sharing that with him - I'd rather watch paint dry. ;)
  • Buffythedebtslayer
    Options
    LL, so sorry to hear your news. Lots of Love to you and your OH and family XXX
    Nevertheless she persisted.
  • troglodyte
    troglodyte Posts: 697 Forumite
    Options
    LL we are all inspired by your attitude, it sounds as though you have a good plan to make the most of the time left as well as a great store of happy memories to sustain you both.
  • lessonlearned
    edited 17 May 2014 at 10:55AM
    Options
    I think I've tried to plan it all as best I can for the best outcome that can be had.

Without being too immodest planning and strategic thinking is what I'm quite good at, although I'm always open to suggestions so if anyone has any ideas I would be glad to hear them.

Then I like to roll my sleeves up and take affirmative action. I'm not one for hanging around just waiting for things to happen.

Taking positive action is just something I always do, whether it's grabbing my finances by the neck when I faced bankruptcy or taking control of my own health issues or in this case ensuring OH gets the best possible care. I just jump in…….

Perhaps it's the control freak in me coming out but I can't stand the idea of relying on others when I know I can do stuff myself.

I've always known that I can't change the outcome of OH's illness, from the beginning we knew he'd been handed a death sentence. We can't change a thing but we can take control of how we deal with it……

Just like a great many things in this life. It's not what life throws at you that matters, it's how you deal with it that counts.

Tink you too have been dealt a bitter blow but you have shown great strength and courage. You will not only survive but in the long run you will thrive too - you'll do it for your kids.

Anyway the sun is shining again, I've had a good sleep - life is good. OH will be happy watching the footie today and I will be toddling off to the flipper to help DS2.

One last nasty job - removing all the old filthy insulation and some rubbish that the previous owners left in their loft. The bedroom ceilings are already down so just need to get this last final job out of the way before the plasterers do their thing.

Apart from sorting out the cellar this is the last really messy job.

It's now down to the fun stuff, putting everything back together again, decorating and furnishing. The kitchen units are in - looking fab. Appliances are on site, together with worktops. Just awaiting the floor tiles - next Wednesday.

We've really gone to town on the kitchen - it's a reasonable size but there is no separate utility area so I've splashed out and gone for fully integrated appliances for a really modern streamlined look to make it look spacious. It should be fab.

I'll try and do some piccies when it's all done.

Right time to make a picnic to take to the flipper - got to keep DS2 happy and well fed and watered. :rotfl:

PS Today's little diary gem.

If you can't be great, be different; it often nudges greatness.

Don't follow the crowd, be yourself, be quirky, be individual, learn from Tink who saw a gap in the market (the need for female trades).

Look out for those niche business opportunities.
  • al6n
    al6n Posts: 21 Forumite
    edited 18 May 2014 at 7:22AM
    Options
    I think I've tried to plan it all as best I can for the best outcome that can be had.
    Rest assured there's nobody out there who could do it better.

al6n wrote: »

1. Get a good deal on a new printer/all in one combo
    I've had my current one for as long as I can remember, in fact I can't remember where it came from but the last couple of weeks it has started jamming loads and smudging all the words down the right hand side of the page, I can't put up with it as paperwork that I have to print and show to customers is crucial to my job. I have a few spare ink cartridges so hopefully I can find one that takes the same ink.

2. Get a new 0% balance transfer credit card
    I owe £1100 on a 0% credit card, the 0% period is due to expire soon. It is our only debt and we could stretch to pay it off if we had to but it would be more convenient to keep it on interest free if possible.

3. Carry out at least one job alone
    I worked alone for a while, in my line of work this is not practical so a few years ago I took on an assistant, he gets paid on a per job basis so he doesn't cost me anything when I'm not earning anything. Lately though due to a change in the industry there are certain jobs that I can do alone but I've still been utilizing the help. He has other sources of income so I wont feel bad about cutting him out on the odd job here and there. It wont make a huge impact on my year but it certainly isn't a good financial move to keep paying for uneccessary help.

Thats me done for now, I look forward to hearing from you all.

1. I've got a new printer, I didn't manage to find one that uses the same ink as the old one but I did check the reviews and the new one is supposed to be a lot cheaper to print per page. It also came with a set of cartridges so in my mind that offsets the cost quite a lot even though I did end up paying the high street price.

2. I've sorted out a new 0% balance transfer card with tesco bank, it's only a 12 monther but the bt fee only worked out at £7.xx so I can't moan about that. I do need to give myself a slap on the wrist though as I managed to miss the end of the 0% period on my last card by almost a month, thus costing me a completely unnecessary £17.xx. I'll learn from that and set a reminder for next year.

3. I was planning to complete this yesterday but wound up having a bbq with the family instead of going out working. I'll definitely complete it this morning as I have a very easy job arranged, I don't think I'll count it though as it's a bit too easy! It's always nice to have a job arranged though, it's the only time when I can leave the house knowing that I'm definitely going to make some dough, pre-arranged jobs are a rarity though.

Keep plodding on everyone I'll check back soon.
  • lessonlearned
    Options
    You've made a good start. :D

Two little moans this moaning.

Went to property 2 to clear the loft and the previous owner has left a load of junk up there. I did have a quick sort to see if there was a priceless antique or two - no such luck. It is a bit annoying having to clear up other peoples junk and rubbish.

Another lovely day here so I'm off to spend some time with my boys, some more gardening at property 1. The scaffolders have not removed all the scaffolding as promised :mad: - so we are being held up again yet again……..

No wonder I'm such a control freak - if you want a job doing and all that. Ah well I'm not going to let it get to me. The sun is shining and I shall make the most of it. OH a bit crabby last night - I suppose it is to be expected.

Have a great week and hope you all make lots of money…..

My money task this week is to have a bit of a sort out. I have a pile of receipts and invoices to go through. It won't make me any extra money but at least I can keep track of what I'm spending. :eek:
  • CornishOptimist
    Options
    Hi All,

Firstly this is a fascinating thread and has really turned on a lightbulb for me!

I suppose I should explain the basic background:

Im 25 and my Fiancee is 30, 1 child (no plans for more)

Currently saving up for our wedding (May 2015) and for a deposit for a house (reached the 8K mark this week!)

We are not high earners, but equally we live in Cornwall, so cost of living isn't as high as it could be.

Currently both saving money by living at home (NOT EASY!!!) but much better than renting (something I refuse to do)

My OH is much more of a financial "free spirit" much happier to spend, never in debt, but thrift bless her is not a strong suit. Accumulating wealth is very much a hobby of mine, not hers! Working on it though.

Im not sure that with our respective incomes that the magical seven figures is quite within our reach, but I have the following aims:

Mortgage free by OH's 55th Birthday
    £300,000 in savings/assets by my 50th Birthday
    Achieve majority of income from rent by my 40th Birthday

We are both in fairly crummy jobs, but have a VERY good work ethic, not scared of hard work. Major issues for us, self-esteem!! Only in the last year or two have we really started to concentrate on having a good future and started to feel good about ourselves, sad but true.

Not sure what advice anyone can give, but sometimes its just good to say your goals outloud!!

Good luck everyone

CO
  • al6n
    al6n Posts: 21 Forumite
    Options
    Hello Cornish optimist. I agree, saying your goals out loud (or writting them down) makes them feel a lot more real and gives you something to reflect on further down the line when reviewing progress and deciding what changes need to be made.

No priceless antiques in the loft LL? How dare they!

I've sort of completed goal number 3 from the other day today but the case in question was far too easy for it to really count. I'm going to make trying to do a bit more work on my own more of an ongoing goal though now rather than a one time thing. I'm already pretty certain that this years overall income will be a down compared to last years but I think that if I play it smart I should be able to increase the profit margin a bit.

Speaking of decreasing expenses I've got a good story for anyone who does a lot of motorway driving. Up until almost a year ago I used to get 360-380 miles from a full tank of diesel in my big heavy van, now in the same van since learning a bit about economical driving I easily get 450-500 at the only expense of extra journey time. I used to drive everywhere at 70+mph for years, that changed as soon as I realised that sticking to a max of 60mph got me 450 miles and 50mph got me 500miles (over 500 on a really good run). I won't lie it does take a lot of discipline to stick to 50mph on a two hour motorway drive and I don't always manage it but wherever possible I leave home early enough to cover the extra half hour I need. Driving at night wherever possible is a big help if you can work it that way as less trafic means less slow down/speed up driving which is a big burner of fuel. Last year I did 35k miles, approx 2/3 would have been on the motorway, the slow !!! driving made a nice positive difference to my expenses. I'm not traveling so far on motorways at the moment as more of my work is local to me but this is a lesson I definitely won't forget.

We've also got a little 1.6 petrol auto focus which people claim are awful on fuel, I have to agree that it's not great but when driven as above I completely smash the mpg figures that most people online say they get. I once reset the trip computer and drove for 10 miles at 70mph then checked the mpg, I then repeated it for 60 and 50, I forget the exact figures but the difference was incredible.

I hope that helps somebody. Wasting fuel is wasting money!
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.5K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.1K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback