Hello Forumites! In order to help keep the Forum a useful, safe and friendly place for our users, discussions around non-MoneySaving matters are not permitted per the Forum rules. While we understand that mentioning house prices may sometimes be relevant to a user's specific MoneySaving situation, we ask that you please avoid veering into broad, general debates about the market, the economy and politics, as these can unfortunately lead to abusive or hateful behaviour. Threads that are found to have derailed into wider discussions may be removed. Users who repeatedly disregard this may have their Forum account banned. Please also avoid posting personally identifiable information, including links to your own online property listing which may reveal your address. Thank you for your understanding.

Securing Loan onJoint Mortgaged Home

I have a joint mortgage with my husband (still 17 years to go). Does anyone know if my husband is able to secure a loan,or use his ownership as a guarantee without my consent as the joint owner? Also, if he were to indicate to a lender that he was sole owner, would the mrtgage lender be made aware (by the lender of the loan) that he has used the house as security or guarantee?


  • BitterAndTwisted
    BitterAndTwisted Posts: 22,492 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker
    I think that it might depend on whether the property is held as joint tenants or tenants in common but I could be making that up, as I have no experience of this. If you suspect that your husband may be in the process of applying for a secured loan against your wishes you should contact your mortgage lender immediately. Or perhaps I'm thinking of the Land Registry. I dunno.

    Have you asked your question on the Mortgages & Endowments forum? There may be people more able to give you a sensible answer there.
  • Richard_Webster
    Richard_Webster Posts: 7,646 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    In order to register the mortgage at the Land Registry the lender would need both signatures if the property is owned by 2 people (regardless of whether joint tenants or tenants in common) so it could not be a secured loan without OP's agreement.

    As a retired conveyancing solicitor I believe the information given in the post to be useful assuming any properties concerned are in England/Wales but I accept no liability for it.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors


  • All Categories
  • 343.8K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.3K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.9K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.4K Life & Family
  • 248.5K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback
  • 15.1K Coronavirus Support Boards