Free Office Software article discussion

Options

Comments

• datostar
    datostar Posts: 1,288 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Is your account an old @ntlworld address? I had loads of problems last year trying to get my wife's new computer set up.

Some changes they made to the old server made it clash with Thunderbird. Existing installations still work (my own laptop has been running Thunderbird with my @ntlworld account for about 3 years), but you can't set up new Thunderbird associations with old ntlworld accounts.

I overcame it as follows.

Set up a new @virginmedia address and associate this with Thunderbird.

Then set up your old @ntlworld address to forward to the new @virginmedia account.

I suspect the ntlworld servers will be closing down soon, anyway, so we might as well get ready for it.

Thunderbird works with the ntlworld IMAP server with no problems at all. I use it on 3 machines. Haven't used the POP3 server for ages. For what it's worth, Virgin Media email piggybacks on Google Mail.
  • silvasava
    silvasava Posts: 4,433 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Changed settings to IMAP - email page all set up on Thunderbird but still cannot access Virgin - does anyone know if I should use the google address or virgin?
    Small victories - sometimes they are all you can hope for but sometimes they are all you need - be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle
  • WhiteChristmas
    Options
    For what it's worth, my (still working) ntlworld/Thunderbird installation is using the following settings:

Server:
    Server type: pop mail server
    Server name: pop3@ntlworld.com
    Port: 110
    Username: myaddress@ntlworld.com

Connection security: none
    Authentication: Password, transmitted insecurely

Outgoing server:
    Servername: smtp@virginmedia.com
    Port: 465
    Username: myaddress@ntlworld.com
    Authentication method: normal password
    Connection security: SSL/TLS

As I said, this was set up years ago and still works, but I failed miserably to make a new install work with an ntlworld address last time I tried.

Good luck.
    I'm dreaming of a white Christmas.
    But, if the white runs out, I'll drink the red.

• silvasava
    Options
    At last - managed to connect using IMAP settings

BIG thanks to everyone for their help. I've also added the calendar as well so I'm a happy bunny now ;))
    Small victories - sometimes they are all you can hope for but sometimes they are all you need - be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle
  • datostar
    datostar Posts: 1,288 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    silvasava wrote: »
    Changed settings to IMAP - email page all set up on Thunderbird but still cannot access Virgin - does anyone know if I should use the google address or virgin?

Use Virgin address and if I remember right you need to set up IMAP access on the Virgin Mail website.
  • silvasava
    Options
    datostar wrote: »
    Use Virgin address and if I remember right you need to set up IMAP access on the Virgin Mail website.

Many thanks DS - I reconfigured Virgin & then Thunderbird - all working fine. Have forwarded my old NTL account to the Media account so all ready for when they finally discontinue ntl
  • RaspberryFool
    Options
    I have Microsoft Office 2010 professional on my main PC, but only the starter package on my laptop so cannot share between both when working on my writing.
    As I am officially retired and not particularly technically savvy, which free word programme would you recommend I download so I can switch between both PC and laptop, please? I have Microsoft 7 home edition on both.

Just noticed this post - so you may have already solved it. I would check the conditions of your MS Office software. I was under the impression that you could use it on one desktop AND one laptop PC. So, providing that you have the installation discs, you could remove the starter pack from your laptop and install the professional suite in its place.
    RaspberryFool
    Men are from Mars, Women are from ... Cadburys!
  • prowla
    prowla Posts: 13,185 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Can you remind me how to check how many bits my OS is?

And do I click on both of these or the just one?

My operating system is Windows Vista if that helps.
    This command should tell you 32 or 64:
    getconf LONG_BIT

• leeh33
    Options
    I use a couple of Glarysoft programs regularly, which I'm surprised haven't even got a mention. Disk SpeedUp does a brilliant job of defragging and optimizing hard drives, and Glary Utilities is just full of excellent tools like a registry cleaner/optimizer, startup manager and disc cleaner.
    There's also the excellent Avira Antvir live CD virus cleaner, which boots from a CD and doesn't even give Windows a chance to boot into any nasty viruses. It's updated DAILY, so catches pretty much all viruses!
    I too have used Kingsoft Office, but am about to give Oxygen Office a whirl. Kingsoft also do an insane antivirus program ;)
  • Hefster101
    Options
    I find oldversion dot com very useful!

Hefster101
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.5K Work, Benefits & Business