MSE News: Missing cash fears after Focus DIY administration

Former_MSE_Helen
Former_MSE_Helen Posts: 2,382 Forumite
This is the discussion thread for the following MSE News Story:

"Customers who have unfulfilled orders with Focus DIY could face losing their cash due to the group's financial woes ..."

Comments

• corbyboy
    corbyboy Posts: 1,169 Forumite
    First Anniversary
    What's the rationale behind not delivering people's orders? If the stores are still trading they must still be buying and selling stock. Why are they allowed to do this?
  • LoopyPrune
    LoopyPrune Posts: 205 Forumite
    edited 5 May 2011 at 7:47PM
    I would imagine its just stock they hold in warehouses/stores etc I can't see other firms delivering to them incase they failed to get paid also.

Im not surprised one of the DIY chains went under. In my home town we have Focus, B&Q and Homebase all within a mile of each other aswell as the 4 big supermarkets. Simply not enough customers to go around. Its not like you repaint your house every fortnight.
    Credit card and overdraft at 18. 2 loans and 3 storecards at 20. University education flushed down the toilet through debt at 22. Car finance at 23. Car repossessed at 24. Rock bottom at 25. Learnt my lesson 26-33. Now 34 with a mortgage on an affordable house, a car paid for with cash and a bank account in credit. I learnt the hard way.
  • i purchased a patio set a parasol and a bbq from focus on tuesday may 3rd.
    Due to it not fitting it all in my car i asked the store to keep it until i could get back to pick it up in a larger vehicle, my partner and i went to collect it with our receipt this afternoon and to my outrage they will not give us the goods which have already been paid for, no refund or credit note either so we have lost out on nearly £300. This was paid for by debit card, after ringing trading standards, ernst and young the administraors, citizen advice and the police we have had no joy.
    please help?? what options do i have??
  • stuart30
    stuart30 Posts: 499 Forumite
    i purchased a patio set a parasol and a bbq from focus on tuesday may 3rd.
    Due to it not fitting it all in my car i asked the store to keep it until i could get back to pick it up in a larger vehicle, my partner and i went to collect it with our receipt this afternoon and to my outrage they will not give us the goods which have already been paid for, no refund or credit note either so we have lost out on nearly £300. This was paid for by debit card, after ringing trading standards, ernst and young the administraors, citizen advice and the police we have had no joy.

I dont see how they have a leg too stand on...the store will have multiple cctv running so they will have you entering and leaving.

You left without all goods..this will be recorded on cctv,so i dont see how legally they can dismiss your claim for your goods that have been bought and paid for.
  • iamcornholio
    iamcornholio Posts: 1,900 Forumite

You can do a charge-back on the debit card - contact your bank
  • not sure if my partner bank do the chargeback, two people we spoke to at the bank have never heard of it, i really cant understand how they can keep something thats been paid for and i have proof of payment.
    the manager said there was nothing he could do.
    no customer orders were allowed to leave the store due to the administration today
    so !!!!ed off!! we had saved up for this purchase, its theft in my book!
  • ormus
    ormus Posts: 42,714 Forumite
    not really. if the retail company havent paid for the goods yet, they still belong to the suppliers. not you.
    virtually all suppliers have a term in their sales contract, stating that goods remain the property of the supplier until they are paid for.
    Get some gorm.
  • split_second
    split_second Posts: 2,761 Forumite
    shame there arent any stores nearby that are doing what mfi did..........

the chairs the customers would sit on while getting quotes were for sale at our local one, along with other random items (like the fake computers on the displays lol)
    Who remembers when X Factor was just Roman suncream?
  • corbyboy
    corbyboy Posts: 1,169 Forumite
    First Anniversary
    ormus wrote: »
    not really. if the retail company havent paid for the goods yet, they still belong to the suppliers. not you.
    virtually all suppliers have a term in their sales contract, stating that goods remain the property of the supplier until they are paid for.

So the supplier has given the goods to Focus, the customer has paid for the goods but Focus has kept hold of the cash and not given it to the supplier.

So Focus have the goods and the money. The goods should either go to the customer or be returned to the supplier. Where they definitely should not be is inside the Focus store.
  • ormus
    ormus Posts: 42,714 Forumite
    the administrators will sort that problem out.
    ive seen situations where suppliers have had lorries at their customers stores back doors, claiming their goods back.

ps
    ive done it myself once.
    Get some gorm.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills