MoneySaving Weddings Article Discussion

Comments

• We find that a lot of our customers actually design their own invites, by getting fonts online or finding freelance and student designers who's portfolio the design would benefit then coming to a digital printers like us.

Same also goes for photographers- you'll find that a lot of student or starting freelancers will do it for a low price or free because they need the experience and images for their portfolio.

Behance is a really good place to find such people as you can narrow your search down to your town/city.
  • sj999
    sj999 Posts: 61 Forumite
    We find that a lot of our customers actually design their own invites, by getting fonts online or finding freelance and student designers who's portfolio the design would benefit then coming to a digital printers like us.

Same also goes for photographers- you'll find that a lot of student or starting freelancers will do it for a low price or free because they need the experience and images for their portfolio.

Behance is a really good place to find such people as you can narrow your search down to your town/city.

Facebook has an Wedding app which you can use (saves on postage). You can also create a wedding invitation website and email the link (there are loads of free hosts out there).
    Or you can use wedding invitation templates which you can download from the internet. These are normally in MS Word format so can also be used in Open Office as well. Then you just need some good quality paper, some envelopes and lots of 2nd class stamps.
  • Hi All,

I haven't posted on here for some years but do confess to being a fan of Martin's and a Money Saver plannin a wedding under £3K.

After OH proposing three times (lack of diamond ring which was important to me having got it wrong twice before!), recent holiday in Majorca I proposed, materialness aside - I bought him a lovely silver patterned high street ring and it's become really special to him ;)

We're marrying in January - we aren't saving for a big one, both in our 40s, no reason to wait. I came on here for help with my dilemma, which I'll ask at the end after sharing my ideas:

Dress: recently purchased 2nd hand on ebay, Maggie Sotterro dress originally £850 for £75 plus £30 courier - she threw in veil and underskirt (which will be resold on ebay and maybe recoup about £40 from that). Needs a small stitch fixed, cleaning (about £50) so a fantastic dress for less than £200. although Mother wanted me to have a big expensive £1000 dress, I couldn't justify it even if it cost me nothing!

Invites: own, OH is a printer/designer

Cake: Tesco Large and Medium Celebration Fruit cake, dowel rods for stacking them, Sainsburys large plain sponge photocake for cutting out the back - cake topper is my extravagance, made and personalised, clay to keep.

Mens Suits: just OH's, and buy ties or ties/shirts for dads, best man and my best man to match

Bridesmaids: None, my 18yr old son is my best man and will walk me down the aisle but not give me away - I've already left ;)

Flowers: Mum paying but still on a budget - small posy any in season flowers (keeps price down) that match color scheme, buttonholes and corsages, total less than £50

Favors: make own, in discussion because if they are on a budget, is there any point at all.

Photos: a friend

Hair/makeup: blowdry straight down (usually put up scruffy in a scrunchie!), makeup by a friend who knows how to do her own (I'm useless with it)

Cars: Friends offered to drive me, which I may do yet, is only 2miles up the road, otherwise cab!

Overnight guest accommodation: £19 rooms bagged at Premier Inn following MSE email two weeks ago.

Rings: Tesco vouchers at Goldsmiths, but waiting to see if they increase to 4x as they did last Christmas before we cash them in -OH may have titanium ring which will give me vouchers for some diamond earrings ;)

So... ceremony (100 guests), informal buffet with a reception drink from 4pm. Evening 7.30 (potentially a further max 300 guests - we belong to some clubs and have a lot of mates!) with nibbles (paid service charge to provide own but have a 'friend' setting up some theme colored fairycakes she's bringing to brighten up the table), dj.

Dilemma: part from reception drink, toast drink, it's total pay bar, which is fine for the ceremony people as they are getting buffet and wedding cake. Party people are getting nibbles. Neither of us drink. If we wanted to spend more we would be tempted to put on food (we like to eat).

What's your view on pay bar? I know they are common these days but that's more acceptable when you are paying for food anyway...

p.s. a free way to involve people close to you, is have readings at your ceremony.. my best friend and my mum :)
  • geordie_ben
    geordie_ben Posts: 3,118
    First Anniversary
    Forumite
    I've not yet been to a wedding where the couple have paid for the bar. I'm sure people know you're on a budget, so won't really mind. And those that do.. are they really friends?!
  • After spending a great deal of time searching for affordable white gold wedding bands we had no luck. Gold is simply just out of our price range, after doing some research we found cobaltchromeforever.com , which were a tenth of the price of white gold and look exactly like them. Also these rings don't scratch as easily as gold or even platinum! We couldnt be happier with our wedding bands.
  • Miss_Bliss wrote: »
    Hi All,

Dilemma: part from reception drink, toast drink, it's total pay bar, which is fine for the ceremony people as they are getting buffet and wedding cake. Party people are getting nibbles. Neither of us drink. If we wanted to spend more we would be tempted to put on food (we like to eat).

I think it's nice you're giving 2 drinks and no prob to expect guests to pay for the rest!! Have a lovely wedding x
    CC1 £7,944.10
    CC2 £2,680.03
    CC3 £1,020.88
  • Thank you both for your response.. I'm a bit more relaxed about it now :)
  • geordie_ben
    geordie_ben Posts: 3,118
    First Anniversary
    Forumite
    Just hint to people that if they bring a bottle of wine/vodka etc in a gift bag it looks much like a present... it'll fill their glasses up nicely :)
  • transport: use friends or family's cars if your a car buff/ptrol head then see if a local car club will let you hire/lend you one
    :kisses3: Married 29th September 2012:love:
  • Great saving ideas for probably "the" most expensive thing I have ever encountered.

After reading that the average wedding costs around 15-20K I can now vouch that it soon racks up.

One thing I have been looking at is buying the not perishable things now as there are some great offers on- I have invitations and all the wedding stationery bought already.

I was wondering about how far in advance I can buy single use cameras?? and Do they have an expiry date or something??

Confetti weddings have them at 20% off - meaning they work out at only £150 each :j:j
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.8K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.3K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.4K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 606.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.7K Life & Family
  • 247.2K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.8K Discuss & Feedback