MoneySaving Weddings Article Discussion

Comments

• sugargurlie
    sugargurlie Posts: 104 Forumite
    Hi, I got married last May and managed to have a lovely wedding on a budget. We did everything quite last minute as we got engaged at New Year, and had a holiday booked for May, and decided to make it our honeymoon. But it worked out perfectly!

Venue
    After trying the local usual suspects and finding most of them booked or overpriced I tried to think of where wouldn't be booked and decided to try new venues. There were a couple of hotels opening in our area and they were both desperate for business. We picked one outside the city, and got a brilliant rate for a Friday wedding by letting them talk us into it, reducing the price as they went! We got added extras for free, like the honeymoon suite and a toastmaster, and reductions on the food, buffet, and dj. They had special rates for the first year to get their name known, and the day was superb, we couldn't have hoped for better. So I'd suggest see if there are any new venues near you looking to drum up some business, and see what they'll reduce to get it.

Invites
    We made our own, we kept them simple and they looked lovely. We also hand-delivered most of them.

Decorations
    I liked the idea of flowers but the cost was too much. Our venue suggested using candles as centrepieces, and put them together ourselves using bits and pieces from Ikea and M&S. We gave them away to female friends and relatives at the end of the night as a keepsake. Candles were also the daytime favour (cheap and lovely, without the obligation for guests to keep them) and bought wooden roses from ebay for the ladies at night (which cost about £8 for 200!)

This meant we could spend a bit more on other things, like my hubby bought his kilt rather than hiring (future moneysaving, as he's saving £150 for a kilt hire for every wedding we go to now), and we got a good photographer which we are really glad about as our album is a work of art.
  • hey guys -

new to the forum sites but recieve martin lewis's emails all the time and clocked that he had discussion and tips for weddings. I only got engaged 3weeks ago and we're deciding to get married abroad in Mexico as we went there for a holiday and fell in love with the place.

our wedding for a 2week all inclusive in a 5 star hotel in cancun (flights etc all included) is costing £1300 each and then the wedding itself is £1000 (this includes blood tests as its abroad they want to make sure your not diseased, wedding co-ordinator, venue set up on beach or different area, champagne toast for 30 guests, cake and food for 30 guests, boquet and buttonhole and marraige and licence etc) so all in £3600 and we'll just make that our honeymoon! :-)

Only downside is people who are wanting to go some can't as asking them to pay a grand for a holiday (to see the wedding) is expensive. But it will be a small intimate wedding like 5 family members from each side and a handful of friends between us.

I'm trying to do everything so cheep as it'll be in summer 2013 and we're just saving right now eeeeeek! But I feel £3600 all in is actually reasonable after reading some tips and reviews and the average wedding costs 15k!!!!! but we dont want to start our marraige in debt or have the pressure of huge bills.

I'm going to use pebbles from the beach and write people's names on them for the seating arrangements so it's FREE!

I'm getting my creative head on to make up wedding favours, I'm thinking the nuetral coloured candles (ivory/white/beige/brown) scented from Ikea which are under £2 for 36 in a pack, get a few of them and get ribbon to tie round (take it out the silver tin) and print off in card our own personalised message and attach to the ribbon. I've also came across fantastic favours on Ebay like retro sweets like love hearts and they sell them as favours with personalised massages but thinking could cut costs down again to go into a cash and carry and buy them myself and either just but the personalised lables off ebay and stick them on or print them off myself.

My cousins wedding, she had small bottles of perfumes as wedding favours (the ones out of the boots xmas girt set hugo boss, chloe, ghost etc) which was a really nice favour and she bought them in the new years sales after xmas so they were alot cheaper.

I'm not sure yet if I'm going for the typical wedding dress or a nice beach dress probs a wedding one (but light) as it is my first and will be my only wedding ever. Been eyeing up ones from Ebay which are amazing.

Thinking to have a party or not when we come home (for the people who couldn't make it abroad for the wedding) but the reception is the bit that costs the most rather than the wedding (in the UK) as it includes food, dj, venue, decorations etc.

So I don't know what to do with that one.

I can't wait (at the moment when the stress levels are ok :rotfl:)
  • jemb
    jemb Posts: 910 Forumite
    We just got my OH's wedding ring and were VERY suprised at a tip we were told. So, we went in to Goldsmiths looking for a bracelet for his Sister's birthday. And I saw a bracelet (funky one with leather and silver) and so that's cool (for him, not the sister, shiny things always lead to a diversion, yes I may have been a magpie in a former life). And I saw a load of Titanium rings. Now, my OH didnt want gold, was looking for a metal one, paladium, titanium etc and we'd budgeted £500 as we'd seen one by gerschner. So, I saw a few rings by this bracelet, only £99 -£150 when the others further on, still Titanium but branded as wedding rings for £250- £300. The lovely lady explained as it's branded as 'wedding ring' they think they have a captive audience so the prices are higher, the same (ish) rings in the none wedding section are cheaper as not aimed at the Wedding market. Typical of him (not me, i think i'm the more expensive one of us) he chose the one he fell in love with that was just £99! So, wedding ring for him £99! Saving of £401! Hope that helps someone!
    Married the lovely Mr P 28th April 2012. Little P born 29th Jan 2014
  • ixwood
    ixwood Posts: 2,550 Forumite
    123lgoldie wrote: »

Only downside is people who are wanting to go some can't as asking them to pay a grand for a holiday (to see the wedding) is expensive. But it will be a small intimate wedding like 5 family members from each side and a handful of friends between us.

I'm trying to do everything so cheep as it'll be in summer 2013 and we're just saving right now eeeeeek! But I feel £3600 all in is actually reasonable after reading some tips and reviews and the average wedding costs 15k!!!!! but we dont want to start our marraige in debt or have the pressure of huge bills.

To be fair, getting married abroad moves a lot of the cost to the guests, so although the wedding is only costing you £3600, it's costing your guests £15k say, making it closer to £20k in total.
  • ixwood
    ixwood Posts: 2,550 Forumite
    jemb wrote: »
    We just got my OH's wedding ring and were VERY suprised at a tip we were told. So, we went in to Goldsmiths looking for a bracelet for his Sister's birthday. And I saw a bracelet (funky one with leather and silver) and so that's cool (for him, not the sister, shiny things always lead to a diversion, yes I may have been a magpie in a former life). And I saw a load of Titanium rings. Now, my OH didnt want gold, was looking for a metal one, paladium, titanium etc and we'd budgeted £500 as we'd seen one by gerschner. So, I saw a few rings by this bracelet, only £99 -£150 when the others further on, still Titanium but branded as wedding rings for £250- £300. The lovely lady explained as it's branded as 'wedding ring' they think they have a captive audience so the prices are higher, the same (ish) rings in the none wedding section are cheaper as not aimed at the Wedding market. Typical of him (not me, i think i'm the more expensive one of us) he chose the one he fell in love with that was just £99! So, wedding ring for him £99! Saving of £401! Hope that helps someone!

Good plan. Not mentioning the W word before booking/buying anything can't hurt.

PS Titanium isn't generally recommended for rings, as it's too strong and won't give before your finger does if it gets caught in anything and also can't be cut off by the fire brigade. And it can't be resized later either.
  • jemb
    jemb Posts: 910 Forumite
    ixwood wrote: »
    Good plan. Not mentioning the W word before booking/buying anything can't hurt.

PS Titanium isn't generally recommended for rings, as it's too strong and won't give before your finger does if it gets caught in anything and also can't be cut off by the fire brigade. And it can't be resized later either.

He's had a titanium just fashion type ring before and it was fine. It's a perfect size too so should be ok. Lets just cross our fingers he doesnt need to borrow the fire brigate or we could be up whatist creek sans paddle or his finger could!:rotfl:
    Married the lovely Mr P 28th April 2012. Little P born 29th Jan 2014
  • I cant stress this website enough to brides to be, lightinthebox.com do all sorts but mainly dresses that would be of interest to most people. They are based in China but have fantastic reviews (and dont delete the odd unhappy review so they are genuine and they also resolve any issues quickly which people always comment on). I was recommended this site by a friend who only accepts the highest standard, and she was blown away with them! I'd risk using them over ebay but ultimately it's a personal choice I guess, just check them out and see what you think.
  • schofield8883
    schofield8883 Posts: 379 Forumite
    123lgoldie wrote: »
    hey guys -

new to the forum sites but recieve martin lewis's emails all the time and clocked that he had discussion and tips for weddings. I only got engaged 3weeks ago and we're deciding to get married abroad in Mexico as we went there for a holiday and fell in love with the place.

our wedding for a 2week all inclusive in a 5 star hotel in cancun (flights etc all included) is costing £1300 each and then the wedding itself is £1000 (this includes blood tests as its abroad they want to make sure your not diseased, wedding co-ordinator, venue set up on beach or different area, champagne toast for 30 guests, cake and food for 30 guests, boquet and buttonhole and marraige and licence etc) so all in £3600 and we'll just make that our honeymoon! :-)

I'm going to use pebbles from the beach and write people's names on them for the seating arrangements so it's FREE!

I'm getting my creative head on to make up wedding favours, I'm thinking the nuetral coloured candles (ivory/white/beige/brown) scented from Ikea which are under £2 for 36 in a pack, get a few of them and get ribbon to tie round (take it out the silver tin) and print off in card our own personalised message and attach to the ribbon. I've also came across fantastic favours on Ebay like retro sweets like love hearts and they sell them as favours with personalised massages but thinking could cut costs down again to go into a cash and carry and buy them myself and either just but the personalised lables off ebay and stick them on or print them off myself.

My cousins wedding, she had small bottles of perfumes as wedding favours (the ones out of the boots xmas girt set hugo boss, chloe, ghost etc) which was a really nice favour and she bought them in the new years sales after xmas so they were alot cheaper.

I'm not sure yet if I'm going for the typical wedding dress or a nice beach dress probs a wedding one (but light) as it is my first and will be my only wedding ever. Been eyeing up ones from Ebay which are amazing.

Thinking to have a party or not when we come home (for the people who couldn't make it abroad for the wedding) but the reception is the bit that costs the most rather than the wedding (in the UK) as it includes food, dj, venue, decorations etc.

So I don't know what to do with that one.

I can't wait (at the moment when the stress levels are ok :rotfl:)
    could i ask where you got this package from? what the website was im interested in doing something like this for my wedding but im unsure what websites to trust as its a lot of money and dont want to lose it.
    £3600 is a great price and if its not being cheeky would like to have the same or similar

Also for brides in the uk have a look on facebook for hairdressers, nail, tans, flowers makeup cakes etc there are some great deals someone in my local are is charging £20 for a cut and styling for a wedding and they even come to your house with tans at £10 even flowers are cheap on there. there are tons of cake makers around my area that dont charge too much for a wedding cake and you can send them a picture and they'll give you a quote unusual place for searching but i supose without the overheads of shops etc they can make it cheaper.
    :j
    “You know you're in love when you can't fall asleep because reality is finally better than your dreams.” ― Dr Seuss
    :love: I Married My Prince Charming 01.06.13:kisses2:
  • sammy_wheeler
    sammy_wheeler Posts: 2,351 Forumite
    ben---- please remove-- you are spamming- you are not allowed to advertise
    Is a married woman!! 23rd July 2011 Best day of my life!

TTC first baby Jan 2013
  • One thing i have noticed is that everyone is now on the disposeable cameras bandwagon It is a great idea and means you dont need to worry about missing out on any fun stuff while you are chatting to gran etc

however the market now only has 2 options buy cheap unbranded cameras and risk them being worthless or buy expensive branded ones that look lovely and will work fine but are a little too expensive, Kodak ones (best on the market) are £7.99 each.

I remebered the days of my youth (1990's) when you'd buy a disposeable camera from boots for £3 and take it on holiday and get great phots so i checked the boots website and "whoa!! buy one get one free on all single use cameras!!!". I get good quality cameras from a reputable dealer at what is essentially half price and as I can collect from my local store i dont need to pay for shipping!!! and I get advantage points for the cameras and eztra points if i develope them instore so i get around £15 worth of points in total.

Now all I need is some stickers to brighten them up and i have halved my camera budget!!!!
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.8K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.3K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.4K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 606.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.7K Life & Family
  • 247.2K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.8K Discuss & Feedback