Changing from Talktalk to Sky Unlimited Broadband

Options
Hi All,

Received a call from Sky and considering signing over to their talk line and unlimited broadband service. We are currently with talktalk both for line and broadband. Just wanted info on several issues. Ideally would love to hear from anyone who has made the same, or vice versa, switch and get their opinion on services and quality between the two providers.
1) Is it worth while? With talktalk we have had tooooooo much headache, "power outages" causing days without service probably 2-4 times in 18 months. Regular rebooting of the router etc.
2) Can have sky tv etc, so can we negotiate? Currently if we sign will be £39 one off connection to take control of the line from talktalk, and around £23 for unlimited broadband and unlimited talk plus line rental, can we negotiate in anyway?
3) They said process would take 29 days, but we could arrange for talktalk to cancel our service on the day sky estimate they can activate the connection, is that possible?
4) In general how are sky in the East London area, we do a lot of video to video chat, online movie streaming and gaming etc,
Thanks

Comments

• macman
    macman Posts: 53,098 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    If your line is already LLU'd by TT then you may not be able to transfer direct to a Sky LLU service, you may have to go back to BT on a free return to donor for 12m line rental.
    There are some reports on here that Sky will undertake a direct transfer, certainly no one else will.
    Dob't cancel your TT service directly, this will be done via a MAC given to Sky. If you cancel via TT you will inevitably get a gap in service and have to pay a cease charge.
    No free lunch, and no free laptop ;)
  • chib
    chib Posts: 537 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Home Insurance Hacker!
    Options
    I've been using TalkTalk for my Phone & Broadband for two years with zero problems on their 'Max' package. I've always used Sky for the Plus service and then upgraded to HD in 2009.

We didn't qualify for Sky Broadband in our previous town... when I moved in March I did... switched to Sky to save £5 a month (Then an additional £10 as I dropped the HD charge) and have zero complaints with Sky. (Other than they restrict you to their router... which you can easily work around but the fact they do it is a bit poor!)
  • Nostromo
    Nostromo Posts: 430 Forumite
    Options
    Ive just moved from Xilo who use talktalk LLU.My phone was with Xilo too.The phone line was switched over to Sky on 8/4/11 and then broadband activation on 18/4/11.So 10 days without broadband.
    However Sky have issues with their routers just now mine never arrived till the 20th and when it did it lost wireless and internet connection all the time needing a reboot of the router to get it going again.Not good considering they tell you not to switch the router off in the first 10 days to determine your line speed.
    They are sending another router and i will ask them to start the 10 day training again to get a better connection speed.
    The dodgy router in question is a Sagecom 2304N but its not full N spec it only goes upto 72mbps.If the lan address starts C8C thats the one with problems.
  • chib
    chib Posts: 537 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Home Insurance Hacker!
    Options
    The above post is one of the big downsides with Sky Broadband, for me if my router was problematic I'd like to know I can pop in an old Netgear one to get me by. (Well, I still can - but not with their approval)

Note - I have the Sagemcom 2304N with a C8:C .... Mac address and have no problems - though I've only been using it for a month or so.
  • Nostromo
    Nostromo Posts: 430 Forumite
    Options
    It seems to drop wifi all the time so if your connected by LAN you may not notice it.But on mine it just lost all internet too.Ive made some sdjustments to the router settings but wifi still drops now and again.Changed the channel manually to 6 instead of auto and changed the mode too auto 54g instead of just auto.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure