MSE News: BT and TalkTalk hike phone prices – again

Options
Former_MSE_Helen
Former_MSE_Helen Posts: 2,382 Forumite
edited 28 April 2011 at 9:10AM in Phones & TV
This is the discussion thread for the following MSE News Story:

" Users will see the cost of using their landline soar this week, in the latest round of rises ..."

Comments

• Heinz
    Heinz Posts: 11,191 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker Car Insurance Carver!
    edited 28 April 2011 at 10:40AM
    Options
    BT rises

Line rental.
    Up by 30p to £13.90 a month. However, the 'ulimited anytime plan' will cost an extra £4.70 a month on top, rather than the previous £5 additional figure.
    • Chargeable daytime call costs. Up from 7p to 7.6p per minute.
    • Call connection fees. Up 1p to 12.5p.

TalkTalk rises

Line rental.
    Up by 30p to £12.60 a month.
    • Chargeable daytime calls costs. Up to 7.6p from 6.5p.
    • Call connection fees. Up from 11.14p to 12.5p.
    Identical rises/prices shown in red.

That's not compettion, that's a cartel.
    Time has moved on (much quicker than it used to - or so it seems at my age) and my previous advice on residential telephony has been or is now gradually being overtaken by changes in the retail market. Hence, I have now deleted links to my previous 'pearls of wisdom'. I sincerely hope they helped save some of you money.
  • Niksan
    Niksan Posts: 309 Forumite
    Options
    So how come they're increaing? Is it because of raising oil and energy prices? Or are they having to hire more people to brasso the stoneage copper? ;)
  • Pincher
    Pincher Posts: 6,552 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Funny, just switched from TalkTalk to BT, and BT seems to be a much better deal. I was happily with Tiscali for about ten years,
    and then TalkTalk took it over. Nothing much happened initially,
    but they gradually changed the way they charge, and I was paying £66 instead of the more typical £40 a month from December 2010.

The key difference is the BT AnyTime deal includes 0845 and 0870, whereas TalkTalk excludes them. Since I call these numbers quite a lot, that's the difference.
  • callum9999
    callum9999 Posts: 4,393 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    Pincher wrote: »
    Funny, just switched from TalkTalk to BT, and BT seems to be a much better deal. I was happily with Tiscali for about ten years,
    and then TalkTalk took it over. Nothing much happened initially,
    but they gradually changed the way they charge, and I was paying £66 instead of the more typical £40 a month from December 2010.

The key difference is the BT AnyTime deal includes 0845 and 0870, whereas TalkTalk excludes them. Since I call these numbers quite a lot, that's the difference.

TalkTalk does include them.
  • ppc1
    ppc1 Posts: 139 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    I have been with Talk Talk since 2008 and never had any problems with the service.(I am out of contract). I called them yesterday to ask for my MAC code to move provider. I was going to take advantage of a deal Martin recommended with Plusnet. The lady on the phone said she could beat the deal and offered me £6.00 per month credit on my bill for 12 months with no further tie in after this period. I am therefore happy and staying with Talk Talk. My bill is usually £23pm which includes line rental, broadband and calls. Any one with Talk talk bear this in mind. They are trying hard to keep loyal customers.
  • Comstock
    Comstock Posts: 322 Forumite
    Options
    With BT and TalkTalk now charging 7.6ppm for daytime calls, plus a 12.5 connection charge, plus £13.90 a month line rental it's well worth considering getting an Asda mobile sim card, which charges 8ppm with no connection charge. Tesco do a similar tariff as well.

You could get 170 minutes of calls just for the line rental of a BT line.
  • Heinz
    Heinz Posts: 11,191 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker Car Insurance Carver!
    Options
    Comstock wrote: »
    With BT and TalkTalk now charging 7.6ppm for daytime calls, plus a 12.5 connection charge, plus £13.90 a month line rental it's well worth considering getting an Asda mobile sim card, which charges 8ppm with no connection charge. Tesco do a similar tariff as well.

ADSL broadband's a little difficult on a PAYG mobile though.
    Time has moved on (much quicker than it used to - or so it seems at my age) and my previous advice on residential telephony has been or is now gradually being overtaken by changes in the retail market. Hence, I have now deleted links to my previous 'pearls of wisdom'. I sincerely hope they helped save some of you money.
  • bod1467
    bod1467 Posts: 15,214 Forumite
    Options
    I was reading the TalkTalk forums (see post #69 in text link below - I can't post actual links because I'm new) and noted that they made an official statement that (for people currently in contract) the increase in prices does not constitute a change in terms to the customer's material detriment, thus TT are saying it does not offer an opportunity to exit the contract. They are saying this is because their wholesale costs have increased.

Now call me cynical but - a TT customer has a contract with TT, not their wholesale provider, so such a change is to the customer's material detriment. As such (IMHO) the TT statement is mistaken at best and downright lies at worst.

What say you?

The link ... talktalkmembers.com/forums/showthread.php?t=60792&page=7

Edited to say - I have broadband and phone with BE, so I don't have a vested interest in the outcome, merely a curiosity. :)
  • mememememe
    mememememe Posts: 59 Forumite
    Options
    Comstock wrote: »

Note from 31st May, Asda will be charging 10ppm, up from 8ppm. See the bottom of this page: http://www.asdamobile.com/compare_tariffs.html
  • Comstock
    Comstock Posts: 322 Forumite
    Options
    Heinz wrote: »
    ADSL broadband's a little difficult on a PAYG mobile though.

As Shakespeare said- therin lies the rub........

If 3G dongles ever get good enough and cheap enough, landlines are toast, IMHO
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.7K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure