May 2011 Grocery Challenge

edited 29 April 2011 at 4:42PM in Old Style MoneySaving
945 replies 79.6K views

Replies

• tigerfeet2006tigerfeet2006 Forumite
    14K posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    DH came home and said "Hmm! that smells nice!" then has sat down with a plateful of dinner and has declared " bl00dy hell! woman this is absolutly perfect! just the taste I wanted and needed." :D So definatly a success all round tonight and he put some in the Aladin pot for his lunch tomorrow of his own volition. He hates it when I do veggy meals as he is a dedicated meat eater but I am determined to make him eat less meat :rotfl:
    BSCno.87
    The only stupid question is an unasked one
    Loving life as a Kernow Hippy
  • CupOfChaiCupOfChai Forumite
    1.4K posts
    Hi ladies and gents, can I please be put down for £70 again for this month? Going to try for that this time again, although I am considering revising my target slightly as I remembered I will now be buying the odd bit of cleaning stuff on top of what I was getting before (due to different arrangements in the new place I moved to) and I'm going to include that.

So far I've spent £52.59 out of that. That isn't as bad as it looks, as it includes my main online shop that is for the whole month, so now I just have to top it up with bits of bread, F&V etc as and when needed.

ETA Congrats to tigerfeet on your dinner success!
  • zpr1c3zpr1c3 Forumite
    35 posts
    First NSD of the month yesterday :)

However, today I received my fortnightly Mr T shop which was £51.11, with a few things missing so went Mr M and ended up spending £15.39 on lots of extra bits (mostly offers though). Then the OH came home with £6.23 worth of nothingness from Mr M.

So, not a very good day GC wise :(
    Grocery challenge: May £246.29/£250, June £385/£200, July £400/£300, August £198/£200, September £128.53/£120
    NSD's: June 8/10, July 14/10 :j , August 11/12, September 12/12
  • CRANKY40CRANKY40 Forumite
    3.8K posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
    ✭✭✭✭
    espresso21 wrote: »
    I am finding this time of year difficult - as the weather gets better, my husband does more barbecues which are meat-heavy. Normally I cook meals which can be stretched in various ways but a bbq tends to be a slab of meat and some salad - it's a bit difficult to use the normal tricks to stretch the meals in this case.

Home made burgers maybe, and definitely home made kebabs on skewers. If you make the kebabs you can use pieces of meat or fish with pieces of onions, peppers and mushrooms etc between them. Invest in some metal skewers as they can be used time and time again and don't catch fire when you put them on the barbecue.
    July grocery challenge £0.00/£250  
  • SunnydaySunnyday Forumite
    3.9K posts
    Part of the Furniture Combo Breaker
    ✭✭✭✭
    Evening Peeps :wave:

I`ve not read any of the thread yet as i`ve only just posted my April totals so i`ve got some catching up to do :eek:

I`m adding the pet spends and our food spends together again from this month as i`ve monitored it seperately for a few months and i`m happy with how it has worked out. I may split it again in the future if it gets out of hand but my little experiment seems to have worked and i`ve managed to get the totals down.

For May i would like to be down for £210 please MrsM.

Big thanks to MrsM, Pink & Rosieben for all your hard work, it is much appreciated :A

I`ve done a bit of a meal planner for the next week that just needs a few tweaks so i`m catching up a bit. Oh and we`re already eating the salad leaves from the garden so a nice bonus there already :j

Happy shopping this month peeps!

SD
    Planning on starting the GC again soon :p
  • meanmariemeanmarie Forumite
    5.2K posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts
    ✭✭✭✭
    Spent €1.99 on soem gluten-free, wheat-free SR flour....will try it as I really think that I should try to avoid wheat if I can.

Marie
    Weight 08 February 86kg
  • rosiebenrosieben Forumite
    5K posts
    ✭✭✭✭
    Old family favourite for dinner tonight Cauliflower, egg and potato curry. ...

Great recipe tiger :beer: I've put it in the index
    ... don't throw the string away. You always need string! :D

C.R.A.P.R.O.L.L.Z Head Sharpener
  • BexstarsBexstars Forumite
    365 posts
    I think my budget may be getting blown, but as its my first go at this its a good learning curve for me. Spent £12.45 yesterday, which did include £5 on nappies so not too bad but DH has done the monthly tesco online shop which is coming tonight which I think is around the £50 mark, hopefully this will mean I only need fresh stuff for a while!
  • quintwinsquintwins Forumite
    5.2K posts
    ✭✭✭✭
    morning all, i really shud be paying the kids snack money today but i had no change so i'm gonna do it next week and have a nsd, tea is chicken and bacon cassarole, i do need a few bits now but i'm wait til tomorrow night and go late in the hope of getting some reduced fruit for fri's picnic
    OCT GC £196.12/£200
  • Winged_oneWinged_one Forumite
    610 posts
    I've managed to stretch the bacon joint we got at Easter into 2 dinners, 2 lots of lunches, and enough left for a third dinner, and used some of the water with the last of teh frozen peas to make "pea and ham soup" for my own lunch (which was actually quite tasty!!). Bacon, mash and leeks was one dinner, and macaroni cheese was the other, and 2 days of sambos for 2 people. I might freeze the last bit, already in pieces, for another mac'n'cheese dinner.

DH is having a small portion of chilli tonight, and DD is having some leftover mac'n'cheese from last night (actually, I had forgotten there was one portion left for her AND a portion tthat I froze for another night for her) as she's not mad about chilli. (I am out, meeting the girls, which we've been trying to plan since October!).

I have leftover mash that I need to use tomorrow, so debating between some fish cakes (have some smoked haddock in freezer, and lots of breadcrumbs), or using some mince to make a shepherd's pie. I only have 3 nice sausages, so not enough even if just DH and I (but they'll be fine in a pasta dish). Or maybe make some croquettes to have with burgers...hmmm...there's a thought.
    GC 2010 €6,000/ €5,897

GC 2011:Overall Target: €6,000/
    €5,442 by October

Back on the wagon again in 2014
    Apr €587.82/€550 May €453.31 /€550