Forum Home » Old Style MoneySaving

May 2011 Grocery Challenge - Page 20

New Post Advanced Search

Coronavirus: The latest from MSE

The MSE team is working extremely hard to keep the info we have about your travel rights, cancellation rights, sick pay (and more) up to date.
The official MSE guides: UPDATED MSE Coronavirus Guides

NEWSFLASH

New, free ‘Academoney’ course from MSE and the Open University launches
All the key areas of personal finance are covered, so that you can master your money decisions

May 2011 Grocery Challenge

edited 29 April 2011 at 4:42PM in Old Style MoneySaving
945 replies 79.6K views

Replies

• Billie-joBillie-jo Forumite
    1.2K posts
    First spends of May today £10.16

Dont know if it has been mentioned but Mull£r yoghurts are on offer in Morri$onS - a pack of 6 for £3.29 but if you buy two packs of 6 they are just £2 for BOTH packs making them just 16p each. They are the chocolate corners, greek yoghurt and bio ones.
    MARCH £62.38/250
  • DawningDawning Forumite
    498 posts
    Should have been another NSD but I somehow found myself in Mr T Express and spent £18.08. I got a few bits for my supper and some wine, and the supper I had planned for tonight will be keep and be fine for tomorrow. It's always the little impulsive spends that are my downfall.

• sparkle76sparkle76 Forumite
    617 posts
    Last night we roasted a chicken, made stock and have enough chicken for 3 more meals for the 2 of us.

Now making red and green lentil and brown rice casserole for tonights dinner that has potatoes, spinach,and lots of spices in it to use up chicken stock and cupboard items.

Also made tuna mix for tomorrow's lunch wraps and have made up the wraps in advance ready in foil.
    No spend at all...

Does anyone know best place online to buy lentils/chick peas etc?
    :):):)
    Little Sweetpea born 12th July 2011
    :):):)

• tigerfeet2006tigerfeet2006 Forumite
    14K posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Old family favourite for dinner tonight Cauliflower, egg and potato curry.

Hard boil about 6 eggs.Meanwhile fry off over a medium heat a large, diced onion. Stir in a deseeded, red chilli, crushed garlic and grated ginger (quantities to taste :) I use very little chilli but about 4 cloves of garlic and a thumb size piece of ginger.) and fry for a few mins. Raise heat a little and add a couple of cubed potatoes and cook for a couple of minutes, stirring frequently, until outsides are just softening. Stir in 2 tblesp curry paste, cook for a min then add a cauli cut into florets and stirfry for a min, stirring to coat.

Pour on a tin of coconut milk and stir, add some salt to taste, raise heat and bring to boil, stirring frequently, then half cover pan and reduce heat to a slow simmer. Cook for 20-25 mins, stirring often until veg. tender.

Cut the eggs in half, lengthways and stir them into curry and continue to simmer for a couple of mins.

Serve with toasted almonds, coriander and basmati rice.

Always empty plates.
    BSCno.87
    The only stupid question is an unasked one
    Loving life as a Kernow Hippy
  • Missus_AkaMissus_Aka Forumite
    285 posts
    First spend of the month @ the turkish shop £7.91 (flat beans, tomatoes, onions, cucumber, turkish peppers and sliced bread), just ate dinner i made flat bean curry rice and salad, nice and cheap as well...you can bulk it out with beef and potato pieces but i am on a diet for my sister communion as i am being forced to wear a dress for 2nd time since being 8 years old, so dont want to eat too much carbs and im not much of a meat person.
    SPC Member#1096 Target £150 Feb Count £82.18
    Aug Make£5P.DayChal £0/£155
    My August £100 Grocery Challenge £49.90/£100
  • helen_jellyhelen_jelly Forumite
    3K posts
    Hi everyone

Just popping on to update my siggy
    Spending time reading the thread about housework and being messy - made me feel right at home reading about how other people struggle with keeping their homes tidy!! :]

I'm hungry so off to make tea
    Loving reading all the bygone days posts

Happy no spending everyone

Helen x
    Projects made for craft fair - 40 :)
    1st fair on 13/4/14 :j
  • cat_smithcat_smith Forumite
    1.3K posts
    First spend of May today on the way home from France. Dog not talking to us after almost 3 days on the road:( £19.52 on fruit/veg basics and a couple of little whoopsies. That should last us until end of next week as we are in and out.

Am going to try and wean DH from Cheese sandwiches day in day out so have dug out my copy of 'Lunchbox'. 200+ recipes to take to work. I tried a couple out in France last week and they went down a treat. Seemed to reduce snacking as well. OK. The fruit and veg is more expensive, but I feel he'd be getting fed more sensibly.

Off to update sig.:T
    GC Mar 13 £47.36/£150
  • Gracie_1827Gracie_1827 Forumite
    296 posts
    First spend this month at @sda, did go with a list but there were a few offers on so spent more than anticipated. Hein2 chopped toms 4 tins for £1 so got 2 lots & big box of Y0rkshire tea for £5..other bits of salad stuff that was whoopsied, plus other bits and bobs and got some flour to make bread tomorrow. £26.96 spent

Made bacon and cheese flan for tea, leftover pastry made some jam tarts. also make banana nut loaf...using up ripe bananas.
    GC - Oct £36.17/£31
    GC - Sep £35.56/£30:o
    GC - Aug £30.73/£31
    GC - Jul £30.80/£31
  • TheBeesTheBees Forumite
    601 posts
    TheBees would like to rejoin for May with a budget of £380 please.

During April we didn't bother keeping a track of our grocery spends and low and behold, after looking back through the receipts we spent almost £100 more than our target of £380. :mad::eek::eek::eek: I did a lot of small shops, popping in and out of the supermarket each time I needed something and spending way more than was necessary.
    So this month we are determined to get back on track.
    Good look everyone!
    Mortgage Free in 3 part 2 challenge - pay off £9000
    Sealed Pot Challenge 416 - target £500
  • CatslovelycatsCatslovelycats Forumite
    1.7K posts
    £6.78 spend so far :money: