We’d like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum.
This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are – or become – political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.
📨 Have you signed up to the Forum's new Email Digest yet? Get a selection of trending threads sent straight to your inbox daily, weekly or monthly!
Exhuast Emissons Light on Where to take Car?
hellokitty08
Posts: 1,878 Forumite
in Motoring
Hello,
The Exhaust Emissions warning light has come on my 58 reg VW Fox, which i have had since new for 2 years and 3 months and I am in a bit of a dilema as to what to do.
Do I take it back to the main dealer incase is something that could be sorted out under the warrenty (although I am suspicious that they would tell me I had to pay for it)
or
Do I take it to a VW specalist garage to see whats wrong? (then if I do pay for it, it will not cost as much)
Any help would be great.
The Exhaust Emissions warning light has come on my 58 reg VW Fox, which i have had since new for 2 years and 3 months and I am in a bit of a dilema as to what to do.
Do I take it back to the main dealer incase is something that could be sorted out under the warrenty (although I am suspicious that they would tell me I had to pay for it)
or
Do I take it to a VW specalist garage to see whats wrong? (then if I do pay for it, it will not cost as much)
Any help would be great.
Debt free since July 2013! Woo hoo! The bank actually laughed when I said I have come in to cancel my overdraft.
0
Comments
-
Its a no brainer. If its under warranty you take it to the main dealer for them to look at.
If they say its an item not covered under warranty you tell them you don't want them to perform the work and take it elsewhere.0 -
Will they charge me to tell me what is wrong?Debt free since July 2013! Woo hoo! The bank actually laughed when I said I have come in to cancel my overdraft.0
-
They'll most likely charge you if you get them to hook it up to their diagnostics and then decide to get the work done elsewhere. If they do the diagnostics and the work they may waive the diagnostics charge.
Best thing to do is call them and ask.0 -
all fixed under warrenty this afternoon! Thanks, they replaced a "faulty" sensor. Had to wait two hours but was very happy that did it today.
Thanks:jDebt free since July 2013! Woo hoo! The bank actually laughed when I said I have come in to cancel my overdraft.0 -
Glad it's sorted. There should be no worry in taking a car back to the dealer under the manufacturers waranty.hellokitty08 wrote: »all fixed under warrenty this afternoon! Thanks, they replaced a "faulty" sensor. Had to wait two hours but was very happy that did it today.
Thanks:j
If it means hooking in up to the diagnostics to determine the problem then so be it, that's the only way the manufacturer has provided to access the manufacturers fault codes so has to be done to acertain the problem, if it's been serviced apropriately there can be no charge to you.
Plus a faulty sensor is a faulty sensor regardless of service history and will be changed under waranty regardless, but you may just have to press the point with the garage.
I like the thanks button, but ,please, an I agree button.
Will the grammar and spelling police respect I do make grammatical errors, and have carp spelling, no need to remind me.;)
Always expect the unexpected:eek:and then you won't be dissapointed0 -
I didn't think about the warranty lol0
-
Bear in mind as well (for future reference) that if they have put the car on the computer and charge you for this task, you are entitled to take the piece of paper away when you get the car fixed elsewhere. So that £50 is not money wasted, because there is no reason for the second garage to carry out the work a second time.0
-
Bear in mind as well (for future reference) that if they have put the car on the computer and charge you for this task, you are entitled to take the piece of paper away when you get the car fixed elsewhere. So that £50 is not money wasted, because there is no reason for the second garage to carry out the work a second time.
In true MSE spirit this post makes you realise why £50 spent on a code reader which will identify all fault codes and give on screen script for all modern cars, has to be sensible.
Anyone with basic common sense can then fault find, ie, if you can work this site then you can diagnose your own motor faults :T:money:
of course you still have to get it fixed, but at least you've bypassed the initial charge.I like the thanks button, but ,please, an I agree button.
Will the grammar and spelling police respect I do make grammatical errors, and have carp spelling, no need to remind me.;)
Always expect the unexpected:eek:and then you won't be dissapointed0 -
Or indeed if you have a Nissan, just invest in a paper clip
0 -
Or indeed if you have a Nissan, just invest in a paper clip

Yep, used to that with the cavs and vectra etc;), but with the correct kit theres no need to scout through the relative forums for the code/fault tables.I like the thanks button, but ,please, an I agree button.
Will the grammar and spelling police respect I do make grammatical errors, and have carp spelling, no need to remind me.;)
Always expect the unexpected:eek:and then you won't be dissapointed0
This discussion has been closed.
Confirm your email address to Create Threads and Reply
Categories
- All Categories
- 355.6K Banking & Borrowing
- 254.8K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
- 456.1K Spending & Discounts
- 248.2K Work, Benefits & Business
- 605.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
- 179K Life & Family
- 263.5K Travel & Transport
- 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
- 16.1K Discuss & Feedback
- 37.7K Read-Only Boards