Forum Home» Insurance & Life Assurance

MSE News: Compulsory car insurance moves a step closer

New Post Advanced Search
Important update! We have recently reviewed and updated our Forum Rules and FAQs. Please take the time to familiarise yourself with the latest version.

MSE News: Compulsory car insurance moves a step closer

edited 30 November -1 at 12:00AM in Insurance & Life Assurance
44 replies 4.5K views
Former_MSE_HelenFormer_MSE_Helen
2.4K posts
edited 30 November -1 at 12:00AM in Insurance & Life Assurance
This is the discussion thread for the following MSE News Story:

" Under new rules it will soon be an offence to keep an uninsured vehicle, rather than just to drive when uninsured ..."

Replies

• Sally_ASally_A Forumite
    2.3K posts
    This is another one of the public servant lawmakers having a bright idea, but in reality they are using a JCB to plant a geranium.

Car sales - the traders won't bother SORNing them or adding them to the MID if they are on the forecourt - they will use their trade plates for taking them on the road, but this means they could have a potentionally uninsured (not on the MID), yet taxed vehicle or untaxed vehicle for sale, so an overly keen copper could fine them for all the sales vehicles on display.

Restoration - some people have a project on an old vehicle found in a barn, they have no log book, maybe they don't even know what the reg no is, and would probably get this done when the vehicle is roadworthy, it's been off the road for years, and is probably in 1000 pieces.

All this to catch an oik that denied driving his boyed up Corsa, taking a photo of the odometer for said oik will not work as he will just disengage it (he'll know a mate that can).

There is no easy way, but the honest people are the ones that will suffer - yet again.

• Gorgeous_GeorgeGorgeous_George Forumite
    8K posts
    ✭✭✭✭
    This ill thought out law will not address the problem.

Two issues come to mind immediately...

1) Cars may be insured - but not for the particular driver.

2) The oiks won't pay the fine. Only law abiding but forgetful or hospitalised drivers will pay.

Perhaps mobile phone technology could be used. Insured drivers get a credit card or mobile phone app that can be interrogated remotely as you drive.

But my answer would be huge fines for the oiks to fund the -no insurance' accident claims. If they have no money, make them take a student loan to pay for the lesson thay have received.

GG
    There are 10 types of people in this world. Those who understand binary and those that don't.
  • michaelsmichaels Forumite
    25.1K posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    What if you have a 'sunny weekend car' - previously you could keep it taxed and buy short period cover for the weekends when you took it out on the road - this option is not available any more.
    I think....
  • CardewCardew Forumite
    28.2K posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper Rampant Recycler
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    It won't stop the standard trick of insuring vehicle, and paying by monthly installments to get a certificate and be able to tax car, except you only pay one month and then stop paying. Obviously an ANPR camera will discover this after they have defaulted for a couple of months.

How many cars have a valid insurance for Daddy to drive, yet son drives without being named on the certificate. Daddy would pay a couple of hundred pounds and 17 year Johnny would have to pay several thousand pounds. If caught, what is the fine?
  • bristol_pilotbristol_pilot Forumite
    2.2K posts
    ✭✭✭✭
    This will not tackle the real issue, which is that the fine for 'no insurance' is considerably cheaper than the insurance premium. Law-abiders may care about points, oiks don't. Driving without insurance ought to carry 6 months in jail, that will sort it.
  • Important update! We have recently reviewed and updated our Forum Rules and FAQs. Please take the time to familiarise yourself with the latest version.
  • I don't see a problem with this. Most people if not all have there policies set to 'Auto renew' and in todays online world SORN'ing and reinstating tax shouldn't be much of an issue or time delay, people who have weekend cars tend to be well off so aren't bothered about constant tax and insurance anyway. I always keep my cars insured whether I use them or not, at least I know if anything does happen to them I have something in place to help.

My restoration project is SORN'd. I'd say most of them if not all are. With the cars being on a massive database the non payers will simply be found easier and the owner fined, then the car removed and crushed. Not even someone who buys 50 quid cars can afford to keep losing them. The traders trade plates will cover all aspect of insurance and work as a multi car policy so they need not worry.

I think the few who this may affect with unforseen hospital stays will be fine or at least have someone tending to there mail. There is a part of me that says this is slightly annoying, but I have always been very organised with insurance and things like this. If it helps to rid the road of uninsured/taxed/MOT'd cars then great, we can all have cheaper premiums??? Or is that just wishful thinking? :rotfl:
  • flashnaziaflashnazia Forumite
    2.2K posts
    I'm confused. I thought this had already come into operation already as it was discussed on here a few months back?
    "fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." (Bertrand Russell)
  • deutschdeutsch Forumite
    368 posts
    Part of the Furniture 100 Posts Combo Breaker
    ✭✭
    Cardew wrote: »
    It won't stop the standard trick of insuring vehicle, and paying by monthly installments to get a certificate and be able to tax car, except you only pay one month and then stop paying. Obviously an ANPR camera will discover this after they have defaulted for a couple of months.

cancellating your direct direct does not mean you cancel your insurance! you just cancelled the payment and days gone by will still be charged.

you could also be charged a cancellation fee AND time on cover. even if they backdate cancellation because you were able to show your SORN proof to the company, it doesn't stop then charging a cancellation fee!
  • CardewCardew Forumite
    28.2K posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper Rampant Recycler
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    deutsch wrote: »
    cancellating your direct direct does not mean you cancel your insurance! !

Of course it won't! but it means your policy is invalid! i.e. you cannot just pay one twelfth of the premium.

However it gives someone a certificate that states the vehicle is insured for a year.

On the strength of that certificate they can tax the car and have a certificate to produce if they are stopped by the police. Unless the police have ANPR, or they bother to make further checks, it appears that the car is insured.

I don't know what the chances of getting caught are, but if they are caught the fine will be a fraction of the premium for a year.
  • Cardew wrote: »
    On the strength of that certificate they can tax the car and have a certificate to produce if they are stopped by the police. Unless the police have ANPR, or they bother to make further checks, it appears that the car is insured.

I don't know what the chances of getting caught are, but if they are caught the fine will be a fraction of the premium for a year.

The chances of getting caught are high!! :( and not worth it.
    DFW 228 LONG H 68
    DFD 2017 :eek:
This discussion has been closed.

Quick links

Essential Money | Who & Where are you? | Work & Benefits | Household and travel | Shopping & Freebies | About MSE | The MoneySavers Arms | Covid-19 & Coronavirus Support