Us Dollar

Options
i am thinking of taking advantage of the excellent exchange rate and changing my money now for my 2007 holiday.. on looking on the net i came across the following site and wondered if anybody had used them before..

http://www.crowncurrencyexchange.com/index.asp

Comments

• amf
    amf Posts: 483 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Strangely enough I have just come across this web site and was going to ask the same question:)

Seems too good to be true - $2.02/£1 for currency/TCs delivered July 07. Anyone dealt with or have any info on these guys?
  • budgetflyer
    budgetflyer Posts: 5,949 Forumite
    Options
    Seems all legit to me. You are into March 07 b4 their rates match http://www.thomasexchangeglobal.co.uk/ though ,so savings arent massive.
    With these companies,unlike banks, your money isnt protected so if they go tits up aka farepak -youve had it
    You could propably make the same savings sticking your money in high int acc.
    Saying that if $2.02 to £ is a priority then go for it as currency can fluctuate either way and murphys law says it normally goes the opposite way from what I want
  • pin
    pin Posts: 4,265 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Hi, Here is my list of top places on how to get money to spend abroad:

Nationwide Debit Card for ATM withdrawals from destination country (no foreign loading) / the Audi credit card or the Post Office credit card for purchases in destination country (but watch out for Dynamic Currency Conversion) (no foreign loading for purchases, BUT watch charges for cash withdrawals).

Nationwide Credit Card (due to Nationwides policy re forced use of Chip and Pin in foreign countries) (no foreign loading for purchases, BUT watch charges for cash withdrawals).

SAGA credit card (if you are over 50) for purchases in destination country (no foreign loading for European purchases, 1% for rest of the world, no cash withdrawal interest if balance repaid in full BUT 1.5%/£1.50 cash withdrawal fee).

4. Any other debit card for ATM withdrawals from destination country / any other credit card for purchases in destination country (but for both CHECK T&C's to see exact charges).

Thomas Exchange Global ("TEG") in central London - pay and pick up at store.

Travelex online (remember Travelex will price match any other exchange service, i.e. the one above) -pay online, pick up at airport.

For price matching: order through Travelex online as you would do normally, then call up TEG (02072401214 or 02078281880) and get a quote re their exchange rate. Email Travelex:
    [EMAIL="customerservices@travelex.com"]customerservices@travelex.com[/EMAIL] (must be done on the same day) stating the following: your Travelex reference number, your currency quote from TEG (and the fact you got it from TEG) and your address (Travelex will send you a cheque refunding the difference). Also Travelex normally acknowledge receipt of your email. Full terms and conditions of the Travelex Price Promise are on the Travelex website.

Marks and Spencer - pay online or pay and pick up instore.

Online FX (using this link ensures free deliver) - pay online, delivery to home.

Thomson Travel (they seem to use Amex as their travel money provider) - pay online, delivery to home.

Co-op Travel (they use Currency Express / Exchange and offer free delivery for orders over £300) - pay online, delivery to home.

Post Office (while probably not the best rate, there are many of them around, so may be convenient) - pay online, pick up at PO or pay and pick up at PO.

12. Haggle with High Street travel agent (which may ensure better rates than 5 to 9 above) - pay and pick up instore.

With 4 - 12, if you are paying with debit / credit card check your T&C's as many providers charge for the privilege of using money exchange services.

Here are links to ATM locators:
    VISA and MasterCard

Here are various information links to VISA: Foreign Exhcnage Rate FAQ and Visa Exchange Rates

Also please read Martin's article: Spending Overseas and Loading Technicals

Also look at the these forum threads: Travel Money: The List & The Cheapest Way to Spend Overseas Discussion Area and How to buy TCs and foreign currency

Hope this all helps!!
    "An eye for an eye leaves the whole world blind" - Mahatma Gandhi
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family