We've changed the name of this board from 'Greenfingered MoneySaving' to simply 'Gardening'. This is to help make it easier to find for the horticulturally inclined. The URL remains unchanged for the time being, so all links to the board are unaffected.

Fast Growing Climber

Options
mattytun
mattytun Posts: 13,920 Forumite
Rampant Recycler Xmas Saver! Savvy Shopper! Energy Saving Champion
Hi im looking for a "Fast Growing Climber" ive got a wall with a trellis on it and need something to cover it through the summer months plus something that i can cut back in winter .
Can't sleep, quit counting sheep and talk directly to the shepherd :cool:

Comments

• FatVonD
    FatVonD Posts: 5,315 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    Try Russian Vine!
    Make £25 a day in April £0/£750 (March £584, February £602, January £883.66)

December £361.54, November £322.28, October £288.52, September £374.30, August £223.95, July £71.45, June £251.22, May£119.33, April £236.24, March £106.74, Feb £40.99, Jan £98.54) Total for 2017 - £2,495.10
  • stumpycat
    stumpycat Posts: 597 Forumite
    Options
    FatVonD wrote: »
    Try Russian Vine!

:eek:

Clematis?
  • onestep
    onestep Posts: 893 Forumite
    First Post
    Options
    Annuals like morning glory, or sweetpeas? Or longer lasting, like a climbing Rose, clematis, or honeysuckle?
    When people show you who they are, believe them the first time
  • JanCee
    JanCee Posts: 1,241 Forumite
    Options
    clematis montana is a fast grower.
  • kinkyjinks
    kinkyjinks Posts: 852 Forumite
    Options
    It depends if you want foliage or flowers. I love Virginia Creeper. It grows really fast and doesn't ruin wood or brickwork. The leaves turn red before they fall off, giving you some colour in Autumn and it doesn't mind being cut back quite hard either unless, like me, you always forget to do it. It also makes an excellent screen from nosey neighbours if you plant it next to a fence ;)
    "Who’s that tripping over my bridge?" roared the Troll.
    "Oh, it’s only me, the littlest Billy-goat Gruff and I’m going off to the hills to make myself fat"
  • Errata
    Errata Posts: 38,230 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    There's a climbing clematis that's evergreen, a good grower and has small white flowers in the spring.
    .................:)....I'm smiling because I have no idea what's going on ...:)
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 12,492 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    clematis is lovely, just put stones over the roots

russian vine :eek::eek::eek:
  • annie123
    annie123 Posts: 4,256 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Don't bother with Russian vine, we put one in 20 years ago and after 3 years it started to cover an area 6'x4' another couple of years it took off.
    We got bored waiting for it to cover the wire fence that back the park so planted a native hedge and cut the root, then the council put up fences and killed my newly planted hedge:mad:

The RV is still near by............ grows up the trees in the park behind us, on other neighbours gardens all over the place but not our garden:)

I'd stick to a clematis;)
  • Outer_Limits
    Outer_Limits Posts: 10,576 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    edited 16 April 2011 at 2:26PM
    Options
    I'd check the 'final heights' before choosing!

You might consider putting in a winter-flowering jasmine, which you cut hard back to the frame after flowering (November to March) which would help support a summer-flowering clematis (two clems in different colours look wonderful.) Or a climbing rose, as suggested, is lovely combined with a clem.

If your garden is very mild and sheltered a summer-flowering jasmine is lovely, (wonderful scent) and cutting back (once it has settled in and grown) encourages more flowering. Mixes well with clems, too.

C. montana, and C. armandii that Errata mentioned are lovely but spring-flowering and what they call 'rampant' - you'd need some space!

Climbing sweet peas are a great idea for a show this year, while permanent climbers are growing.
  • Mrs_Arcanum
    Mrs_Arcanum Posts: 23,976 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    Options
    Jasmine or Passionflower. Clematis are lovely but need attention/pruning the first few years.
    Truth always poses doubts & questions. Only lies are 100% believable, because they don't need to justify reality. - Carlos Ruiz Zafon, The Labyrinth of the Spirits
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.7K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.3K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.9K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.4K Life & Family
  • 248.5K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure