We've changed the name of this board from 'Greenfingered MoneySaving' to simply 'Gardening'. This is to help make it easier to find for the horticulturally inclined. The URL remains unchanged for the time being, so all links to the board are unaffected.

J Parker Dutch Bulbs WS Ltd

Options
dunramblin
dunramblin Posts: 36 Forumite
edited 13 April 2011 at 3:54PM in Gardening
jparkers.co.uk

Hello All

Just a word of warning - I ordered some plants from these guys (based in Manchester) over 1 month ago. I did not receive any plants within the 28 days they said I should allow for. I then emailed them and asked them to cancel the entire order. They then immediately emailed me back to say the order had been dispatched. I checked over their dispatch note and they had only dispatched two thirds of the order. I then told them I would like a refund for the non-dispatched plants and they said they would refund me. So 36 days later I have had no plants and no refunds. Steer well clear.
Ongoing ....

Comments

• gazza975526570
    gazza975526570 Posts: 3,275 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Hi - hope you get your problem sorted

I must say ive used them loads and never had a problem - id recommend them to others.
  • savemoney
    savemoney Posts: 18,127 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    I have only had one order from them in September and that came okay. To be fair I had a similar problem with Jersey plants this time last year, it was late Spring before I got the rest of the order. Sometimes companies do state due to nature of the seasons that plants arrive later etc. I found this to be the case with T&M

I am just about to place and order with J Parker as they have some good offers on
  • trudiha
    trudiha Posts: 398 Forumite
    Options
    What exactly did you order, Dunramblin? I'm asking because most nurseries and mail order plant places tend to send out stuff when it's ready, rather than 'within 28 days'. I know that I'd be pretty miffed if Parkers and Jersey Plants had sent out all of the bedding plants I ordered within 28 days of my ordering them, I'd need a heated greenhouse about the size of the ones they have in Kew to keep them alive. Of course, it would be a different matter if you'd ordered seeds but I know that the Parker's seeds I ordered arrived within a week...
  • dunramblin
    dunramblin Posts: 36 Forumite
    Options
    Hi - maybe I am being a little harsh then, but this has been going on for a while. I am not a full on greenie and have only had a garden for 3 years. I usually buy my stuff from garden centres, but Parkers did seem to have some good deals. This is what I ordered. I have actually spoken with them in between updating this site. They told me parcelforce have lost the parcel and once they work out where the parcel is, I will get a full refund.

H771 5 Photinia Red Robin Hedging
    H217 3 Cornus Alba Sibirica
    H279 3 Cornus Midwinter Beauty
    H145 2 Eucalyptus Gunnii
    P521 3 Pennisetum Fireworks
    P244 Hardy Red Stemmed Bamboo

Can anyone recommend some good online plant stores please ?
    Thanks
  • Orange_King
    Orange_King Posts: 720 Forumite
    Options
    Have to say I have always been quite pleased with their service and the items purchased. Am expecting further arrivals this week and I always use their 10% online discount code :)
  • stumpycat
    stumpycat Posts: 597 Forumite
    Options
    I've ordered loads from Parkers and always been pleased with their stuff - they even refunded me without question for a Tamarisk that appeared dead (3 years on, it shows the occasional sign of life :rotfl:)
    I did eventually learn to read the small print & mark in my calender when they would dispatch things, as I was taken by surprise by unexpected plant deliveries that I'd forgotten about. The letters at the beginning of the code (e.g. H or P etc) usually indicate time of dispatch, but I'm terrible for not reading paperwork... :o
  • BallandChain
    BallandChain Posts: 1,922 Forumite
    edited 12 April 2011 at 7:34PM
    Options
    Dunramblin, I was browsing the net a few days ago and came across a lot of disgruntled customers who have shopped with Parkers. I can't remember the forum I was reading this on! Having said that I haven't ordered from Parkers before but I do highly recommend Thompson and Morgan. Their customer service (should things go pear shaped, excuse the pun) is excellent.

http://www.thompson-morgan.com/gwm

That is the link directly from Gardener's World and gives you free postage!

Code for 15% off this week, valid until Thursday: FB3000. Thanks to UKBill69 for that.

http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=3168750

Just to add that I checked and it doesn't let you have both free postage and the 15% off. It's one or the other it seems.
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 12,492 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    edited 12 April 2011 at 7:28PM
    Options
    I have an on-going very similar problem with gardeningdirect. They told me that they dispatched some plants and that was a month ago. I am still waiting for a refund. Their call centre was useless, fortunately yesterday I had a response to an e mail I sent a month ago. I have saved it and it will be evidence if I need to pursue things via my bank. I have used GD for many years, never again

They did dispatch but to the wrong address, not mine
  • Humpty4u
    Humpty4u Posts: 25 Forumite
    Options
    Hi - hope you get your problem sorted

I must say ive used them loads and never had a problem - id recommend them to others.

Used once no problems , order complete fast delivery :beer:
  • angelavdavis
    angelavdavis Posts: 4,714 Forumite
    Mortgage-free Glee!
    edited 12 April 2011 at 9:30PM
    Options
    kittie wrote: »
    I have an on-going very similar problem with gardeningdirect. They told me that they dispatched some plants and that was a month ago. I am still waiting for a refund. Their call centre was useless, fortunately yesterday I had a response to an e mail I sent a month ago. I have saved it and it will be evidence if I need to pursue things via my bank. I have used GD for many years, never again

They did dispatch but to the wrong address, not mine

The last few posts on their Facebook page makes interesting reading...

I have also used Parkers many times without issue. Last year I ordered a special offer multibuy they were doing on fruit trees. All the trees arrived with the growing shoot broken off to fit in the box! Then the plug plants were infested with slugs. I took photos and emailed - nothing!

Eventually, I phoned them and they denied they had ever received my email. Eventually they replaced the whole order free of charge. It took a while but was worth the perseverance.
    :D Thanks to MSE, I am mortgage free!:D
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport