We'd like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum. This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are - or become - political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

Investment for self-employed where tax is not paid on the amount invested?

Options
I am self-employed (I am also employed on a part-time basis). When I was employed previously, we were given a presentation by a financial adviser from HSBC. She told us about a pensions/savings plan (I forget which) in which you could invest by having a set sum deducted from your pay before it was taxed. As I am self-employed, I wondered if there was a similar scheme in which I could invest and which would be tax deductable.

Any help would be appreciated!

Comments

• dunstonh
    dunstonh Posts: 116,853 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    You appear to be thinking of SAYE schemes as an employee. These dont apply to the self employed as you cant buy shares in your company as there are none.

However, you have pensions and S&S ISAs.
    I am an Independent Financial Adviser (IFA). The comments I make are just my opinion and are for discussion purposes only. They are not financial advice and you should not treat them as such. If you feel an area discussed may be relevant to you, then please seek advice from an Independent Financial Adviser local to you.
  • payless
    payless Posts: 6,957 Forumite
    Name Dropper Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    From OP's post - lperhaps it was just a GPP presentation ?

Surely a personal pension would have same overall effect (tax) for the self employted
    Any posts on here are for information and discussion purposes only and shouldn't be seen as (financial) advice.
  • Loughton_Monkey
    Options
    You will get tax relief on any 'normal' Personal Pension you buy. Do not buy one, though, from a High Street Bank due to poor value.
  • gadgetmind
    gadgetmind Posts: 11,130 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    dunstonh wrote: »
    You appear to be thinking of SAYE schemes as an employee.

All the SAYE schemes that I have participated in have required the investment contributions to come from fully taxed pay.
    I am not a financial adviser and neither do I play one on television. I might occasionally give bad advice but at least it's free.

Like all religions, the Faith of the Invisible Pink Unicorns is based upon both logic and faith. We have faith that they are pink; we logically know that they are invisible because we can't see them.
  • wednesday2212
    Options
    These dont apply to the self employed as you cant buy shares in your company as there are none.

It wasn't buying shares in the company, the company I worked for was a small Ltd Co. It was some kind of saving scheme
    Surely a personal pension would have same overall effect (tax) for the self employted
    ..How does this work? Are pension contributions tax deductable?
  • dunstonh
    dunstonh Posts: 116,853 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    edited 12 April 2011 at 4:21PM
    Options
    gadgetmind wrote: »
    All the SAYE schemes that I have participated in have required the investment contributions to come from fully taxed pay.

I was thinking of "savings plan" that was specific to employed status and tax efficient. SAYE being tax efficient at the end rather than up front.

Pension obviously fits the "pension" side of the comment and re-reading the post, it does seem like pension is more likely.
    I am an Independent Financial Adviser (IFA). The comments I make are just my opinion and are for discussion purposes only. They are not financial advice and you should not treat them as such. If you feel an area discussed may be relevant to you, then please seek advice from an Independent Financial Adviser local to you.
  • wednesday2212
    Options
    If we assume that our friend from the HSBC was talking about a pension; are pension contibutions tax deductable for the self-employed? If yes, is there a limit to the amout I can contribute each year?
  • payless
    payless Posts: 6,957 Forumite
    Name Dropper Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary
    edited 12 April 2011 at 4:43PM
    Options
    Yes and yes and no

liumits are at http://www.pensionsadvisoryservice.org.uk/personal--stakeholder-pensions/stakeholder-pension-schemes/contribution-levels--tax-relief

Even if you don't pay tax you can still pay into a personal pension scheme and benefit from basic rate tax relief (20 per cent) on the first £2,880 a year you put in. In practice this means that if you pay £2,880 the government will top up your contribution to make it £3,600.

also see
    http://yourmoney.moneyadviceservice.org.uk/guides/retirement/saving_for_retirement.html
    Any posts on here are for information and discussion purposes only and shouldn't be seen as (financial) advice.
  • wednesday2212
    Options
    Thanks for all your help everyone!! :)
  • wednesday2212
    Options
    Hi Payless,

Thank for that info - very helpful!

Please can you clarify something for me...

From your example, this means that I would still have to pay tax on the £2,880 as I would have to declare it as profit. However, with the HSBC scheme, the pension contribution payments were taken before any tax was applied. Is this correct?
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 344.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.4K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450.2K Spending & Discounts
  • 236.4K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.6K Life & Family
  • 249K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure