Mobile phone users 'overpaying by £200' per year

Comments

• grumbler
    grumbler Posts: 58,629 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post Photogenic First Anniversary
    edited 11 April 2011 at 11:27PM
    Well, if you really want to save you can get 100+unlimited for about £3.50 p.m. over 12 months or even cheaper over a shorter period on t-mobile (as I said above). Reliability of tracking is very high and you can just return the sim if cashback isn't tracked.

EDIT: and the Chitter-Chatter deal above looks pretty good as I have not noticed originally.
  • Stuart_W
    Stuart_W Posts: 1,731 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    spaceboy wrote: »
    Contracts just arent good for people trying to save money.

I think that depends on whether you need a phone that doesn't work once you've reached your budget for the month, or a phone that you know you won't use over a particular amount.

If you know you'll stick within 100 mins, 100 texts and 500MB, £6/month on SIM-only beats any PAYG I'm aware of.
  • I'v just taken another look at the T-Mobile deal and its actually excellent!! The package is for 100 text and 100 minutes but you get to choose one of the flexible boosters with it too!

So for £6 per month you can get -

100 minutes
    100 text

Plus 1 of the following -

Unlimited Text
    Internet Booster
    Unlimited Landline Talk
    Unlimited T-Mobile Talk
    Euro Talk & Text Booster
    Europe & Australia Talk Booster
    USA & Canada Talk Booster
    :dance:Quidco Payments In 2011 - £724.21 :dance:

June: £43.15/July: £51.22/August: £90.60/September: £29.75/October: £284.07/November: £171.08/December: £29.22
  • spaceboy
    spaceboy Posts: 1,906 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Yeah but if you start creaping over the 100 minutes the cost will mount up. That's what happened with me on my Vodafone contract so I ditched them.
  • geriann
    geriann Posts: 158 Forumite
    Photogenic First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    i'm on Tesco ''PAYG with free credit'' tariff.
    i top up £10 per month...tesco give me an extra £20 credit...so i end up with £30 credit.
    the great thing is you can use your credit on whatever you want.
    the free credit only lasts 1 month, but the credit you buy never runs out.
    it automatically uses the free credit first, you don't start using your bought credit until the free credit has run out.
    i've had this for almost 3 months...i've still got about £26 of my bought credit that haven't used yet. :o

i also have my 5 fave numbers registered, so i get half price texts and calls to them.
    i've got a tesco clubcard, so i get points everytime i buy credit too.

the more credit you buy the more credit tesco give you...
    if you buy £15 credit...tesco give you an extra £30 credit...so i end up with £45 credit.
    if you buy £20 credit...tesco give you an extra £40 credit...so i end up with £60 credit.
  • boliston
    boliston Posts: 3,012 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic First Post Combo Breaker
    I would never take any deal that charges a higher rate when you go over a certain amount of MB per month which is why i stick with PAYG. Some "deals" charge 30p (or more) per MB if you go over which is pure theft. Anything over about 5p is way OTT.
  • keza
    keza Posts: 1,309 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    i reviewed my usage of my contract over the last few months and am well within the limits for the next tarriff down. so i switched and have saved £13.50 a month - £162 a year :) didnt think to even look at how much i use of my allowance to be honest
    Current Mortgage balance - £348,607.76/£395,999.
    Tesco - £9,757.91
    HSBC - £7,186.54
  • Chorlie
    Chorlie Posts: 1,029 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker Photogenic
    Well I use about:

120 mins
    20 text
    150mb data

My tariff is:

600 mins
    500 text
    3GB data
    Unlimited Landline

So I'm using less than a quarter of my allowance, but since I'm only paying £7.66 a month I think I'm on the correct tariff because it works out the cheapest which is the whole point and not getting a tariff that 100% matches what you use (unless that works out the cheapest).
  • gjchester
    gjchester Posts: 5,741 Forumite
    keza wrote: »
    i reviewed my usage of my contract over the last few months and am well within the limits for the next tarriff down. so i switched and have saved £13.50 a month - £162 a year :) didnt think to even look at how much i use of my allowance to be honest

Depends on your provider and contract, Most current vodafone ones (the your plan ones) cannot be changed up or down through the life of the contract.
  • I think the research will have included customers who got a nice new shiny all singing all dancing got to have it now because etc etc,
    regardless of tariff or allowances and only buying to get a phone.
    Most people on here will be wise enough to know that high cost line rental will include the cost of the device and will accept that a better value deal will often be a compromise on the phone or device itself , we are also wise enough to know that the ''free gift'' type offers are also buried in the price but a cheaper phone with free gift and a monthly cost that they are happy to pay for both is what they want. I know deals are there to be had but as I work in the mobile industry I see both sides of the argument dealers want sales networks want income and customers want what they think is best for them. As I always put it You pays your money and takes your choice
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure