Started to switch then cancelled but..

Options
Webbit_2
Webbit_2 Posts: 6 Forumite
First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
Hi All,
First post, sorry it's asking for advice rather than helping someone out!

I started to switch from my current provider Eon earlier in the year to Scottish Power as I thought I would be given a better deal (used uSwitch).

However I received a call from Eon who offered me a better deal which turned out to be about the same price as the new Scottish Power deal. As it was early into the process (I hadn't provided meter readings and the Scottish Power switch personal website said I was still in the first stage of switching) I decided to stay with Eon. Eon said they would take care and cancel the switch.

Unfortunately weeks passed (think it was about 5/6) and I started to be supplied by Scottish Power, only to be cancelled by 2 weeks later and the switching process started again back to Eon.

Not happy this has happened, perhaps me being naive and overly confusing things, however Scottish Power want to charge me a 30 cancellation fee on both the gas and electricity accounts that shouldn't have been set up in the first place. I don't really want to have to pay this as now my Eon switch back deal is now more expensive, any advice or do I just have to put it down to experience?

Thanks,
Matt

Comments

• echoecho_2
    echoecho_2 Posts: 152 Forumite
    Options
    I think the fault is actually down to eon here. What they have done is effectively set up a new contract for you and arranged to switch you back to them. They DO tell Scottish Power that they are taking back the supply, but don't actually cancel the initial switch. In this case Scottish Power are right to charge a cancellation fee.

Eon is the problem here. They should have explained that if it was too far down the switching process, they can't cancel the switch but can arrange to take you back. I would complain to eon and see if they will reimburse the money as the process wasn't explained to you correctly.
  • st999
    st999 Posts: 1,574 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Your problem is that you actually believed a call from eon saying that you could get a better deal by staying.

You should go back and think to yourself,

Why was I changing supplier in the first place?

To save money.

What happened when I changed my mind, or was persuaded to change my mind.

I lost money.

NEVER change your mind, EVER.
  • Scottish_Power
    Scottish_Power Posts: 1,263 Organisation Representative
    Options
    Hi Webbit,

What echecho has said is spot on.

E-on contacted you to winback your custom, which they have done succesfully.

However, when they do this they don't cancell your pending application with oursleves. They start up a new application which means we will be your supplier for a short period of time. As we start supplying you, you become subject to our term and conditions and in this case our cancellation charges.

This does happen all the time and as a company we would not reverse the cancellation charges in this situation. However, I would contact E-on and see what they have to say.

Kind Regards

Graeme @ ScottishPower
    Official Company Representative
    I am the official company representative of Scottish Power. MSE has given permission for me to post in response to queries about the company, so that I can help solve issues. You can see my name on the companies with permission to post list. I am not allowed to tout for business at all. If you believe I am please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com This does NOT imply any form of approval of my company or its products by MSE"
  • E.ON_Company_Representative:_Helena
    E.ON_Company_Representative:_Helena Posts: 2,359 Organisation Representative
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Hi Webbit,

Good info given already.

I too would get in contact with E.ON and ask what stage the account was at when you decided to come back to us.

Suppliers have a cooling off period where you can change your mind and you stay with your original supplier, it sounds like this had lapsed by the time the supply was being transferred back. This period is normally between 7-14 days.

If you want me to have a look at the E.ON account just let me know and I will be happy to help.

Helena :)
    Official Company Representative
    I am an official company representative of E.ON. MSE has given permission for me to post in response to queries about the company, so that I can help solve issues. You can see my name on the companies with permission to post list. I am not allowed to tout for business at all. If you believe I am please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com This does NOT imply any form of approval of my company or its products by MSE"
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.8K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.3K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.9K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.4K Life & Family
  • 248.5K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure