PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! In order to help keep the Forum a useful, safe and friendly place for our users, discussions around non-MoneySaving matters are not permitted per the Forum rules. While we understand that mentioning house prices may sometimes be relevant to a user's specific MoneySaving situation, we ask that you please avoid veering into broad, general debates about the market, the economy and politics, as these can unfortunately lead to abusive or hateful behaviour. Threads that are found to have derailed into wider discussions may be removed. Users who repeatedly disregard this may have their Forum account banned. Please also avoid posting personally identifiable information, including links to your own online property listing which may reveal your address. Thank you for your understanding.

Buying a flat above a restaurant

Options
:APlease help????

My boyfriend and I found a beautiful split level flat in London above a restaurant which we fell in love with so we put in an offer and had it accepted!! Woo!

But then we got very excited and when our mortgage broker (London and Country) tried to find us a mortgage ONLY 2 lenders in the country didn't instantly reject us! Everyone else did (even with our big deposit) because the flat is above an A3 Unit or restaurant. So of these 2 lenders we submitted an application to one THEN our valuation came back at ONLY HALF the price of the property's sale price!!! Ahhhhh. We are gutted!!!

So now we're stuck. We don't know whether to attempt a mortgage application with the other one lender in the country who didn't instantly reject us - or whether to give up! Our main fear is that even if lender2 does accept us when it comes to selling on the property in a few years time our buyer won't be able to get a mortgage because then they'll get rejected too. . .

Do you have any experience of purchasing above an A3 Unit or Cafe? Do you have any advise or words of wisdom . . . .think we're about to let our dream home slip through our fingers ....

Thank you kindly :):):):)

Comments

• PasturesNew
    PasturesNew Posts: 70,698 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    It's generally accepted that most lenders won't lend on anything above a shop. Most flats etc over shops are bought by landlords or big investment groups for the long-term.

A nice restaurant today, could be a heaving, smelly kebab shop next month, open until 4am with all the taxis lining up outside and general drunken jollity non-stop.
  • ruggedtoast
    ruggedtoast Posts: 9,819 Forumite
    Options
    When we were thinking of something similar I happened to come across a post on another forum from someone who bought a flat above an amazing, hip, new age cafe that they loved.

Shortly after it closed down and was replaced by an open fronted fish mongers. They couldn't even leave their clothes in there during the day without stinking, let alone sleep there. Unsellable and un-lettable.
  • satchmeister
    Options
    amy999 wrote: »
    :APlease help????

My boyfriend and I found a beautiful split level flat in London above a restaurant which we fell in love with so we put in an offer and had it accepted!! Woo!

But then we got very excited and when our mortgage broker (London and Country) tried to find us a mortgage ONLY 2 lenders in the country didn't instantly reject us! Everyone else did (even with our big deposit) because the flat is above an A3 Unit or restaurant. So of these 2 lenders we submitted an application to one THEN our valuation came back at ONLY HALF the price of the property's sale price!!! Ahhhhh. We are gutted!!!

So now we're stuck. We don't know whether to attempt a mortgage application with the other one lender in the country who didn't instantly reject us - or whether to give up! Our main fear is that even if lender2 does accept us when it comes to selling on the property in a few years time our buyer won't be able to get a mortgage because then they'll get rejected too. . .

Do you have any experience of purchasing above an A3 Unit or Cafe? Do you have any advise or words of wisdom . . . .think we're about to let our dream home slip through our fingers ....

Thank you kindly :):):):)
    " .... tried to find us a mortgage ONLY 2 lenders in the country didn't instantly reject us ... valuation came back at ONLY HALF the price of the property's sale price ..."

Why are you gutted? they have probably saved you from making the biggest mistake of your lives
  • Doozergirl
    Doozergirl Posts: 33,849 Forumite
    Options
    I had this conversation with someone recently. Unless it's forever (it just can't be above a restaurant) or you get a really, really good deal, then it just isn't worth it. if you have children, for example, after the first six months you realise that walking to the park doesn't cut it. You need a garden for the purposes of sanity etc.

Mortgage are so hard to come by that the person that owns this flat currently is the proud owner of a big White Elephant. And if you jump through every hoop to buy it yourselves, you have to realise that there are really not many people that would find living above a restaurant acceptable, and secondly, of those that would, most will be frightened off by the fact it's near impossible to finance.

flats above restaurants are the key domain of cash buyer landlords who will rent it to people that don't mind it in the short term.

All advice really should be not to buy something that is essentially unsaleable. I've bought rat infested, rot-ridden holes and turned them around, but I won't be buying a flat above a restaurant. Because some things you can't control. So you don't try.
    Everything that is supposed to be in heaven is already here on earth.
  • neverdespairgirl
    Options
    Doozergirl wrote: »
    I had this conversation with someone recently. Unless it's forever (it just can't be above a restaurant) or you get a really, really good deal, then it just isn't worth it. if you have children, for example, after the first six months you realise that walking to the park doesn't cut it. You need a garden for the purposes of sanity etc.

We've lived in a flat in central London with our now 5 year old - and I'm as sane now as I was before....
    ...much enquiry having been made concerning a gentleman, who had quitted a company where Johnson was, and no information being obtained; at last Johnson observed, that 'he did not care to speak ill of any man behind his back, but he believed the gentleman was an attorney'.
  • greenmoneysaver_2
    Options
    The 2 issues are
    1) A3 means anyone can open a food cooking etablishment, pretty much with opening hours they want, deliveries whne they want and really no limit to the smells/nconvenience for the properties surrounding it

2) A3 usage means lots of insurance hurdles as they are deemed a higher fire risk, impacting on those willing to lend and also the available contents and buildings insurance you will be able to access.

If the valuation is that much lower, either buy for that or walkaway. I would avoid like the plague!
    Give yourself a Chistmas bonus £14 a week!
    Total so far £28
  • PasturesNew
    PasturesNew Posts: 70,698 Forumite
    Options
    We've lived in a flat in central London with our now 5 year old - and I'm as sane now as I was before....
    Yours is probably nice and big and light and posh ... and London has lots of parks that you're probably near. For most people, in most towns, a flat over a shop is a grim, dirty, enclosed and depressing space... and it's not worth going out to try to walk somewhere better as there's limited options outside the door.
  • celyn90
    celyn90 Posts: 3,249 Forumite
    Options
    We used to rent flat above a hairdressers - we weren't in most of the time, but at the weekends it was really noisy during the opening hours - and the staff loo was just outside our door.

cel x
    :staradmin:starmod: beware of geeks bearing .gifs...:starmod::staradmin
    :starmod: Whoever said "nothing is impossible" obviously never tried to nail jelly to a tree :starmod:
  • lynzpower
    lynzpower Posts: 25,311 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    there can also be added fire risks from properties above A3 premises that also contribute to the lenders lack of interest in lending on them.
    :beer: Well aint funny how its the little things in life that mean the most? Not where you live, the car you drive or the price tag on your clothes.
    Theres no dollar sign on piece of mind
    This Ive come to know...
    So if you agree have a drink with me, raise your glasses for a toast :beer:
  • silverchair
    Options
    I would never buy above a restaurant for the same reason as others have stated. I used to rent a flat above a sweet, little cafe. Nice enough, until the owners decided to hire it out for all night functions. The functions made it into a night club. Music blaring until 4am in the morning 7 days a week. People smoking & shouting outside my bedroom window. Fights in the car park (again below my bedroom window), police cars etc. It was absolute hell.
    You have had a very lucky escape!
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.7K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.6K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.3K Travel & Transport