MSE News: Banks urged to provide more services at the Post Office

Options
2»

Comments

• dalek
    dalek Posts: 9,386 Forumite
    Options
    I hadn't realised i could use my Halifax Bank Account at the Post Office!
    The Daleks Reign Supreme, All Hail The Daleks!
  • blueberrypie
    blueberrypie Posts: 2,395 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary
    Options
    JacksterD wrote: »
    Which account was that? I worked in the PO for over a year and if memory serves me correctly it was only Lloyds TSB deposits which weren't instant as the bank insisted on using Bank Giro Credits instead of Chip and PIN to carry out the transaction.

Barclays, Cahoot and Lloyds all only offer the paying-in slip system through the PO. For all of those, the credit will only be made to the account when the money reaches it, not on the day it's deposited in the PO.

Only basic accounts from Halifax can be accessed through the PO, and they use the paying-in slip system.

Click the links from http://www.postoffice.co.uk/portal/po/jump1?catId=19400181&mediaId=19700174
  • glider3560
    glider3560 Posts: 4,115 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Only basic accounts from Halifax can be accessed through the PO, and they use the paying-in slip system.
    Since Halifax closed their agency branches, I believe all current accounts can now be accessed through the Post Office, although this has been kept very quiet.
  • blueberrypie
    blueberrypie Posts: 2,395 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary
    Options
    glider3560 wrote: »
    Since Halifax closed their agency branches, I believe all current accounts can now be accessed through the Post Office, although this has been kept very quiet.

This rang a bell, so I checked, and you are correct:
    Can I use any of my Halifax accounts at the Post Office?
    Yes. We have deliberately strengthened our relationship with the Post Office following the withdrawal of the agency counter service. Under this arrangement, you can now deposit cash and cheques in Halifax bank and savings accounts at the Post Office. To get started with this service just call us on
    0800 028 8162* and confirm your name, address and the details for the account you wish to use, we'll then send you everything you need.

from http://www.halifax.co.uk/HelpCentre/important-announcement.asp

Still using the paying-in slip and therefore the delay in crediting the deposit to the account though.
  • KxMx
    KxMx Posts: 10,605 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic
    Options
    Not come across a ticket system in my PO? It's a 7 counter branch and I was in there last week?

Queue's can be bad, a combination of not enough staff on and closing the majority of smaller branches- my PO averages 2-3 staff (peak times sometimes), Monday I was very shocked to find 6 staff serving! Not unusual to be 30+ people in the queue at lunchtime, anywhere up to 15 at other times.

There was a handy desk counter you could use for stamps/swipe cards, but they replaced it with a Post& Go machine, so all those with swipe cards have to queue up now.

But my HSBC is in the town centre, and is the smallest bank in town, has just 3 windows, 2 open if you're lucky! Can't use PO for HSBC anyway.
  • stclair
    stclair Posts: 6,844 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    m5rcc wrote: »
    Have you ever been to a Post Office? Endless queues and the "banking services" are hopeless - It will take at least 3 working days to deposit money into your account in cash.

Can't wait until the PO is privatised

When you pay funds into a co op cashminder account the funds hit the account immediately when paying in via the post office :D
    Im an ex employee RBS Group
    However Any Opinion Given On MSE Is Strictly My Own
  • JacksterD
    JacksterD Posts: 293 Forumite
    Options
    Barclays, Cahoot and Lloyds all only offer the paying-in slip system through the PO. For all of those, the credit will only be made to the account when the money reaches it, not on the day it's deposited in the PO.

Click the links from http://www.postoffice.co.uk/portal/po/jump1?catId=19400181&mediaId=19700174

Ah yes, you're correct. Barclays, however, only offers this service in Post Offices in England and Wales, and there are very few Cahoot customers around these days, so it was only Lloyds customers I dealt with who used deposit slips.
    KxMx wrote:
    Not come across a ticket system in my PO? It's a 7 counter branch and I was in there last week?

As far as I know it's only large 'flagship' offices which have undergone refurbishment recently that have the ticketing system. It seems unlikely that smaller offices or offices owned by private companies (which is most of them) will get this.
  • studentsaver1
    Options
    JacksterD wrote: »
    Which account was that? I worked in the PO for over a year and if memory serves me correctly it was only Lloyds TSB deposits which weren't instant as the bank insisted on using Bank Giro Credits instead of Chip and PIN to carry out the transaction.

Personally I think it's a good thing that the Post Office provides these services. If you don't want to use them, don't.

Hey, really sorry to drag up an old thread but i've been searching the net endlessly since my cash deposit which I paid in to my lloyds tsb account with my paying in book 2 days ago has not yet come through, and came accross your post so i registered just to ask this question!

I mean, surely the funds would be shown in the account but would then be made available a few days later? But there has been absolutely nothing and i'm quite worried!

I'm wondering if you could tell me, is this normal? could i expect to see my money credited to my lloyds tsb account soon? or has something gone wrong :s

Thank you in advance!
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport