MSE News: Banks urged to provide more services at the Post Office

This is the discussion thread for the following MSE News Story:

" The Post Office is desperately trying to encourage more banks to provide full current account services at its branches ..."

Replies

• m5rccm5rcc Forumite
    1.5K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Combo Breaker
    ✭✭✭
    Have you ever been to a Post Office? Endless queues and the "banking services" are hopeless - It will take at least 3 working days to deposit money into your account in cash.

Can't wait until the PO is privatised
  • m5rcc wrote: »
    Have you ever been to a Post Office? Endless queues and the "banking services" are hopeless - It will take at least 3 working days to deposit money into your account in cash.

Could not agree with you more! The quicker we get the choice over Royal Mail also.

Many people did USED to use a Post Office but if I remember, they closed quite a lot and people who used these then just went to the banks anyways to do whatever they require these days.

I hate this new ticket and wait system - one ticket for this, another for that. I avoid the post office where possible and buy stamps elsewhere as the automated machine never ever is in service!
    David :)
    £1 of debt is too much for me!
  • edited 7 April 2011 at 12:49PM
    magpiecottagemagpiecottage
    9.2K Posts
    1,000 Posts Combo Breaker
    ✭✭✭✭
    edited 7 April 2011 at 12:49PM
    Oh for either a bank or a post office - see here.

Actually this one was successful under the previous owners and very much supported by residents.
  • heloidheloid Forumite
    472 Posts
    Every post office I have seen in London is rammed with queues out the door. It might work in small towns where Banks can't justify their own branch but I'll stick to HSBC/First Direct here thanks.
  • vinh1000vinh1000 Forumite
    1K Posts
    never liked the post office
    so many queues and this ticket system is annoying
  • JacksterDJacksterD Forumite
    293 Posts
    m5rcc wrote: »

Which account was that? I worked in the PO for over a year and if memory serves me correctly it was only Lloyds TSB deposits which weren't instant as the bank insisted on using Bank Giro Credits instead of Chip and PIN to carry out the transaction.

Personally I think it's a good thing that the Post Office provides these services. If you don't want to use them, don't.
  • custardycustardy Forumite
    38.2K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    m5rcc wrote: »

got your finger on the pulse i see
    the Post Office will not be privitised in the near future
    so enjoy the wait
  • rb10rb10 Forumite
    6.3K Posts
    ✭✭✭✭
    The article states:
    But only Bank of Ireland, Clydesdale, Halifax, Lloyds TSB and The Co-op offer the full range of available services.

So that gives a choice of five different banks (including two mainstream high-street banks) to choose from, if Post Office banking is important to you.

When you choose your current account, surely you don't just choose it based on rate and customer service, but also the services that the bank is able to provide you with.
  • samwsmith1samwsmith1 Forumite
    922 Posts
    Never had any problems paying money into my account at the post office, cash goes in instantly & cheques a couple of days later, no queues that you get in the bank itself, friendly staff and local.

Think it's good that they want more banks to provide services at the post office.
  • pmdukpmduk Forumite
    10.7K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I love the idea of banking at post offices. If only the staff (at my local branch, Salford BO) didn't stop work for a couple of minutes between each customer to chat/walk about. It's not as if there's any competition between branches now.
This discussion has been closed.
Latest MSE News and Guides

Stoozing, sublets & summer sips

This week's MSE Forum highlights

MSE News

Martin Lewis quizzes Rishi Sunak

Watch the cost of living support Q&A here

Join the MSE Forum discussion

48 craft beers for £50 delivered

One-off bundle for newbies. Excludes Northern Ireland

MSE Deals