Forum Home» Martin's Blogs & Appearances & MoneySavingExpert in the News

Should you buy a PAYG or contract for your teen at Christmas?.... Blog Discussion - Page 3

New Post Advanced Search

Should you buy a PAYG or contract for your teen at Christmas?.... Blog Discussion

34 replies 7K views

Replies

• marleyboymarleyboy Forumite
    16.7K posts
    10,000 Posts Combo Breaker
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I think PayG would make a teen be much more responcible for their calls, knowing that they will have to top up a certain amount in order to use the phone. In one way it will enforce some kind of control into their phoning habits, whilst simultaniously making them aware that to use a phone actually COSTS. It is also a good incentive for them to spend their earned money in a constructive and worthwhile way. Not only does it free up a parents worry about how their teen uses a phone, it allows the teen a phone they can say is personally their own to ring who they want, when they want. Knowing that ultimatley, its their bill too.
    :A:dance:1+1+1=1:dance::A
    "Marleyboy you are a legend!"
    MarleyBoy "You are the Greatest"
    Marleyboy You Are A Legend!
    Marleyboy speaks sense
    marleyboy (total legend)
    Marleyboy - You are, indeed, a legend.
  • MercenaryMercenary Forumite
    620 posts
    Part of the Furniture 500 Posts Photogenic Combo Breaker
    ✭✭
    I use an ancient Nokia 3310 on Virgin PAYG (3p per text to another Virgin phone) simply for the occasional text message and would NEVER actually phone someone on it unless it was a real emergency. Teenage DD also has Virgin PAYG on a hand-me-down from her older brother and she pays for her own top-ups from her Saturday job and so has a very good idea of the wisdom of using her money wisely.

None of my my far-flung family feel this strange apparent need to gab trivialities to friends or relations using any phone ( our landline bill averages about £2-£3 per month) as we use email and the free Googletalk & Skype utilities :D to keep in contact, therefore PAYG is a good way for us to communicate if it's necessary for a problem while away from home like travel delays or needing a lift etc.

A contract may give some other benefits, but...and it's a big BUT...the phone use has to be of a certain level to get the best from such a deal. For those of us who don't chat our lives away it doesn't make sense :confused: .
  • i am on o2 pay and go, i get for £10..,
    300 text messages free, 25 mins a month free call time to any other o2 mobile number or landline. standing charges are.. 25p per min for first 3 min then down to 5p per min to any other o2 mobile or landline before 7pm then at weekends and after 7 pm it is 25p per min for first 3 min then 2p per min to any other o2 mobile or landline, but if i want to talk to someone on a diff net work then its 25p per min. also i get 1meg of wap free as well. if i put more credit on the phone then i can get up to 1000 text messages for free and 40/50 mins free call time it depends how much credit i put on.
    I need to Save Save Save
  • hurrahhurrah Forumite
    1.4K posts
    i am on o2 pay and go, i get for £10..,
    300 text messages free, 25 mins a month free call time to any other o2 mobile number or landline. standing charges are.. 25p per min for first 3 min then down to 5p per min to any other o2 mobile or landline before 7pm then at weekends and after 7 pm it is 25p per min for first 3 min then 2p per min to any other o2 mobile or landline, but if i want to talk to someone on a diff net work then its 25p per min. also i get 1meg of wap free as well. if i put more credit on the phone then i can get up to 1000 text messages for free and 40/50 mins free call time it depends how much credit i put on.

O2 only charge 15p a minute to call 0844 gateway numbers.

http://www.o2.co.uk/mobilestariffs/tariffs/specialnumbers

So you could use one of those mentioned here to make x-net mobile calls on O2 for 15p a minute.

http://callchecker.moneysavingexpert.com/ukcallchecker/
  • When i was 16 i often ran up bills of way OVER £200. In about 3 months i managed to rack up £1000 :eek: :o It makes me feel sick now thinking about it!!!

But, if you are able to get the provider to put a bar on the amount your child spends, for example, if they go over £30 then the phone just wont work, then i think a contract is worth it in the long run.
    :starmod: :staradmin :starmod:
    I gave up jogging for my health when my thighs kept rubbing together and setting fire to my knickers
    :starmod: :staradmin :starmod:
  • contract or no contract - I cant believe that people buy their kids mobiles at all.
    check this out:

http://www.willthomas.net/Convergence/Weekly/Cell_Phone_Health_Children.htm

I for one will never buy my kids a mobile - I value their health too much.
    Work Less - Spend Less - Consume Less.

Every turn of the pedal is an act of revolution!

Go by Bike!
  • Well that last post seemed to stop the discussion. Any response from anyone?
    Work Less - Spend Less - Consume Less.

Every turn of the pedal is an act of revolution!

Go by Bike!
  • roswellroswell Forumite
    2.4K posts
    ✭✭✭✭
    If i had a teenager it would be Pay and go, I had a contract once with 300 free mins it took me 2 days to use them and resulted in a £250 bill and the phone was cut off thsi was the first and last month...

Im on 02 online pay and go, I am also on 02 : More which means for a £15 top up i get 300 free texts and 150 free mins, I also get the 02 treats and use the 10% off calls treat.

I find i top up £15 every 2 or 3 months because i use the free mons and text first, i then use the £15 credit and after that when i get to below £1 credit i get a top up. You forget that top ups can be form debit cards so you dont need to go to the shops and you can still top up the phone for your child, many years ago my mom topped up my phone from her land line when i i ran out of credit.

and pay and go phone works very well at recieving call when theres no credit on so even if your teen did run out of credit they are still contactable.

Responcibilty can be shown / gained by giving them a £10 or £15 allowance and any more needs to be funded by themselves.
    If it doesnt pay rent sell it.
    Mortgage - £2,000
    Updated - November 2012
  • roswellroswell Forumite
    2.4K posts
    ✭✭✭✭
    banthecar wrote:
    http://www.willthomas.net/Convergence/Weekly/Cell_Phone_Health_Children.htm

I for one will never buy my kids a mobile - I value their health too much.

Info from 2003 ??

More recent view http://www.bbc.co.uk/health/ask_the_doctor/mobilephonestumours.shtml

I personnaly thing that cots painted with lead paint in the 50`s were more of a risk.
    If it doesnt pay rent sell it.
    Mortgage - £2,000
    Updated - November 2012
  • Contract phone definately seeing as you end up paying for it anyway. Kid on PAYG has no credit so you end up phoning them back and paying for it.