Forum Home» Martin's Blogs & Appearances & MoneySavingExpert in the News

Should you buy a PAYG or contract for your teen at Christmas?.... Blog Discussion - Page 2

New Post Advanced Search

Should you buy a PAYG or contract for your teen at Christmas?.... Blog Discussion

34 replies 7K views

Replies

• it depends on the phone
    i can not understand the mentality that spending £200/£300 on the phone they want on paug when its free on a £25 a month tarrif, with more than enough mins/texts plus all the other benefits of contract!
    ive had contract and paug and if youve got a sensible enough kid then they will know to check their remaining allowence if they go over then their parents will kick there asses
    honestly i dont see why people think its a good idea to spend silly amounts on a phone when they cant trust the kid to keep within the contract!

i work it out every day in my shop people topping up £40 a month on top up when they could be spending £25 on contract.
    i would say it only makes sense
    if either the phones used very little (but common teens these days![i should know i was just one of them]) of if they really dont care about the phone
    Yes Your Dukeiness :D
  • I would defiantly say Pay as you go for a teen. Although contracts may work out better with all the money saving tips available on here, I’d never trust a kid with the freedom to rack up as much as they wanted on a phone bill. It’s almost like giving your kid an American Express card and telling him or her to use it sensibly!
    I use a contract phone, but I know I’m paying the bill each month so I’m conscious of how much my bill will be when I use it.
  • There is a deal on the T-mobile network which gives some of the features of both, it is called U-FIX.

You pay a fixed monthly fee (£15/20/25) and dependant on which one you choose you get a certain amount of calls and texts. you also receive a subsidised handset (how subsidised again depends on tarriff chosen but a lot of good phones free or £19.99)
    Once the allowance is used up it has to be topped up until the next month.
    using a top up card.

So the control of pay as you go with the call charges of contract and you are in fact spreading the cost of that handset over a full year interest free.

Another advantage I have found with this plan is that you can get pretty much any handset not just the ones offered by the network on their payg system.
    I like a Good Deal more
  • SystemSystem
    177.8K posts
    10,000 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    My 17 year old son is on PAYG. I give him £10 a month to put on his phone which gives him 300 texts a month so theres plenty of texts for him to let me know if he is going to be late home. It just gives me peace of mind really but although we have bought him a new phone for christmas - the rest is down to him.

Theres no way i would trust him with a contract phone.
  • DO NOT BUY A CONTRACT PHONE! DO NOT BUY A CONTRACT PHONE! DO NOT BUY A CONTRACT PHONE! DO NOT BUY A CONTRACT PHONE!

Would you give your child a card to your bank account?? Well, you are effectively if you give them a contract phone. If you trust your child 100%, that's fine - but if you have the slightest doubt - don't do it.

We did, and we had a major battle on our hands. £105 bills per month because he 'couldn't manage' on 500 minutes and 100 texts.

The contract has to be paid no matter what they use or run up - and you have to pay it.

Don't do it!
    The atmosphere is currently filled with hypocrisy so thick that it could be sliced, wrapped, and sold in supermarkets for a decent price and labeled, 'Wholegrain Left-Wing, Middle-Class, Politically-Correct Organic Hypocrisy'.
  • wonkawonka Forumite
    478 posts
    Martin,

Your use of English is normally excellent. However, in this article you've over used apostrophes:
    1) "Their's" is an incorrect way of saying that it belongs to them. Use "Theirs"
    2) Don't pluralise "text" by adding an apostrophe. Just add an "s" to form "texts"

Don't take my word for it. This site does a good job of explaining:
    Plain English or
    Common Errors

You're a journalist so you should know better!

Yes I know I'm a sad pedant. Guilty as charged....
    Of course, I may just be talking b****cks!
  • We did, and we had a major battle on our hands. £105 bills per month because he 'couldn't manage' on 500 minutes and 100 texts.

The contract has to be paid no matter what they use or run up - and you have to pay it.

Don't do it!

Then confiscate the phone.
    If he can't be trusted they don't deserve it.
  • Ive found payg to be a lot better than most contracts could offer for my calling habbits. I mainly use my phone to call my girlfriend and use the orange "Magic Numbers" offer so it only costs 15p for a call for an hour. I do this pretty much every day so thats £4.50 for 1800 minutes and if I top up by £10 a month I get 300 free text messages, £4 of wap, and supposedly free evening calls to orange phones. So i just need to spend £5.50 on calls a month to get that.

I suppose on an orange contract you still get the magic number offer and you dont need to pay the 15p. But still the £19 contract they offer gives roughly the same amount of minutes i'd get if i topped up by an extra £9 a month. However there is the free phone with the contract and my phone is breaking so maybe thats the way to go!!!
  • jembiejembie Forumite
    936 posts
    Personally I have no choice because I wouldn't get a contract (Wouldn't pass the credit check) but I think that PAYG is much better for teaching them to budget and be independant.
    My daughter has had a phone for about 2 years now (she is 14) She earns the money to buy her own credit. If she is out of credit then she will do a few jobs to earns some more money to buy more credit - If she doesn't want to do the job, she doesn't get the money. She is on o2 as I am. We get 300 free texts for topping up £10 a month https://shop.o2.co.uk/tariffs/Pay_and_Go
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Don't ever stop believing........
    Never get tired of watching you, someday you will break through.....