MSE News: Petrol price hike fears as oil price surges

2»

Comments

• JimmyTheWig
    JimmyTheWig Posts: 12,199 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    Indout96 wrote: »
    Our lot are holding it at 40p :(
    I believe you can claim tax relief on the difference between the HMRC figure and what you get back from your company.
    Worth an extra 1p or 2p per mile, depending on what tax bracket you are in.
  • Incyder
    Incyder Posts: 2,016 Forumite
    £1.40 a litre = £6.35 a gallon = a bicycle
  • Incyder wrote: »
    £1.40 a litre = £6.35 a gallon = a bicycle

Exactly my thinking :)

Cycling to work saves me almost a tank of petrol each month = £89.
    All business miles are claimed back, with summer almost here then I'll be taking the bike every day and saving more money. Its not a solution for everybody but for some it works well.
  • pompeyrich
    pompeyrich Posts: 3,135 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    MMM I remember when they put some new petrol pumps in my local garage, there was a button you could press to automatically dispense petrol in units of £1, i.e. press once for £1, twice for £2 etc. Alongside the button was a label which read" not to be used if price is over £1.50 a GALLON, it was around 80p/gallon then. Oh how we laughed, £1.50 a gallon, wont be able to afford a car then we mused. Same with ciggies, I'll stop when they reach £1 a pack, £2, £3 etc. now over £7 and we still smoke, drive our cars etc. Have a little moan but that's it.

Although petrol was 69p a gallon when I first drove, I only earned £13 a week so to fill up would cost over half my income, now it costs £75 to fill up, less than a quarter of my income.
  • thor
    thor Posts: 5,483 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    Record petrol prices but still have not noticed any drop in the number of cars on the road. What price will it take before people decide to walk/use public transport instead of their cars?( Before the countryside brigade get their backs up, I mean those people only driving a mile or two per journey)
  • Print_Screen
    Print_Screen Posts: 340 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Can you not claim mileage allowance for cycling to customers if not divining, or a nominal amount for wear and tear I seem to remember someone mentioning this.
    If freedom is outlawed, only outlaws will have freedom.
  • davidjwest
    davidjwest Posts: 756 Forumite
    The government are stupid, inflation is running at a 2 year high and rising and they are relying on interest rates as the only weapon to fight it. Can't they understand that fuel prices are a big factor here? The government is making about 20p a litre more in tax compare to a year ago so there is easily scope to reduce tax by 15% or so even if it's only a temporary solution, this would help the economy and be far less damaging than having to raise interest rates that is bound to happen sooner than later.

If they really wanted to save money to pay the debts then they could scrap Trident, what a waste of money that is.

I suppose they will reduce the tax on fuel, just before the next election in a vain attempt to win some votes.
    :A
  • JimmyTheWig
    JimmyTheWig Posts: 12,199 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    thor wrote: »
    Record petrol prices but still have not noticed any drop in the number of cars on the road. What price will it take before people decide to walk/use public transport instead of their cars?( Before the countryside brigade get their backs up, I mean those people only driving a mile or two per journey)
    For me it would have to mean public transport being cheaper and/or quicker than using the car.
    Boris has put the cost of "a mile or two" return journey up to £2.60 on the bus. Whatever (within reason) the cost of petrol, it's going to be cheaper in the car. [The same is true at the old £1.80 price, but less so.]
    And it's quicker by car.

The only way to do it would be significant investment in public transport, not significant taxation of car use.
  • Re Petrol Price Hike in August vs Using buses - I actually don't know the answer to this but I am shocked at the story today that Torbay council are cutting £250 000 off bus routes to council estates and hospitals - what are we all going to do? Can anyone explain the logic of this to me? It can't just be to stop the poor going to hospital! I will investigate but i can't post the link cos Im new - someone else is welcome to, it was on twitter I petrol prices are lower so the government will make a rick if it goes ahead with the 3p rise in aug anyway.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure