We'd like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum. This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are - or become - political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

NSI Investment

Options
2»

Comments

• jablonski
    jablonski Posts: 5 Forumite
    Options
    Thanks, SAPHHIRE and yep I'm new, I reckoned the majority of folks would be decent and polite like you, but like you say there is always the exception. Tks again for advice, I've taken up another three year option.
  • ChiefGrasscutter
    Options
    Some posters do really take it to extremes though......

There was one who wanted answer to X in relation to a financial product at a particular savings institution.
    Somebody did what the OP couldn't be bothered to do which was to type x into google plus the savings group name and gave them the link.
    Then the original OP came back with a supplementary question - the answer to which was actually on the very page the replier had provided as a link.
    The OP then got back what you might expect -suggestions that they might actually do something themselves rather than expect everything to be handed to them on a plate free.

Another wanted to re-start a discussion that had already had some 300+ posts in 1 thread and there were lots of threads - and nobody was going to re-write all their comments all over again on yet another discussion.

To the OP
    Generally people will be helpful but remember this is an internet forum and anyone can say anything.
    Take the comments you read as advise to be considered rather than to be acted upon without a care.
    Some of the more experienced financial people on here are only around when they have the time: no I'm an engineer not a financier.

Financial advise will change depending on your personal circumstances and what may be suitable for some will not be for others depending on the personal and business committments, future directions, age, how long is your investment horizon, do you have children etc.... etc.......
    As such therefore there is no real answer to what is "Best"
  • harryhound
    harryhound Posts: 2,662 Forumite
    edited 3 April 2011 at 11:26AM
    Options
    With what some people think is the worst deficit in the "rich" countries of the world, the only long term way out of the bind is to quietly devalue the currency and stoke up inflation. Those of you who can remember "War Loan" will remember what I'm talking about.
    Margaret Thatcher, with the lucky break of North Sea Oil currency and taxes, managed to pit the national debt back on a rational footing.

If you know of a way that this off shore island of 60 million poorly trained people, with a government that has delusions of grandeur as "world policeman", is going to repeat the trick of winning the Falklands and find another money gusher and enjoy the fruits of second globalised economy, please let me know.

The best I can see coming at the moment is a Japanese style "lost decade", while rising commodity prices put our deficit currency in its place. The quantity of money = money supply * velocity of circulation. At the moment the banks are on a bit of a lending strike, so the velocity is well down. If the economy gets moving, the velocity will shoot up. Inflation = too much money chasing too few goods.
    Oil wars and earth quakes do little for the supply of goods.

I think you can get high interest rates on Portuguese and Irish bonds and they pay out in Euros.

Unlike the pound sterling that has already been devalued by about 25%.

The choice is yours and we cannot do a full fact find on you and your family on this forum.

If you were me I too would go for the index linked.

You could do a bit of subsidy farming by putting photovoltaic panels on your roof, that yield is index linked too and tax free.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 12 Election 2024: The MSE Leaders' Debate
  • 344.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.4K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450.1K Spending & Discounts
  • 236.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.6K Life & Family
  • 248.9K Travel & Transport