NSI Investment

Options
I've just received notice of an NSI invetment having completed its time.
They offer Indexed Linked certificate or Fixed interest.
Which is "best" and/or are there any better investments available.

Comments

• le_loup
    le_loup Posts: 4,047 Forumite
    Options
    What do you think?
    Have you looked at the terms of the four accounts they are offering and what else is out there?
    Have you tried looking at this site's saving suggestions?
    We can't entirely hold your hand, or do all the work for you.
  • Biggles
    Biggles Posts: 8,209 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    It's difficult to say, Jablonski.

Neither are on offer to the general public at the moment; what interest rate are they offering you for the Fixed-Rate Certs?

Index-Linked Certs have been very good over the last couple of years or so but, as I assume you know, how good they are for the future depends on how the rate if inflation compares to interest rates generally.

But it's definitely worth considering them both carefully, due to the tax advantages.
  • Sceptic001
    Sceptic001 Posts: 1,111 Forumite
    Options
    Most on this forum would be delighted to have the option of tax-free protection against inflation (as measured by the retail prices index, currently 5.5%) with near-instant access.
  • jablonski
    jablonski Posts: 5 Forumite
    Options
    Biggles wrote: »
    It's difficult to say, Jablonski.

Neither are on offer to the general public at the moment; what interest rate are they offering you for the Fixed-Rate Certs?

Index-Linked Certs have been very good over the last couple of years or so but, as I assume you know, how good they are for the future depends on how the rate if inflation compares to interest rates generally.

But it's definitely worth considering them both carefully, due to the tax advantages.

I'll give them another 3 year shot with the inflation proofing certificates.
  • Sapphire
    Sapphire Posts: 4,269 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Debt-free and Proud!
    edited 2 April 2011 at 5:05PM
    Options
    jablonski wrote: »
    I'll give them another 3 year shot with the inflation proofing certificates.

That's what I've done with mine – think this is the best option for you, especially as they are tax-free products. ;)

P.S. Suggest you ignore the unpleasant little git who provided you with an initial response. Some people just don't seem to have enough to do to occupy them and feel the need to post pointless messages on Internet forums. Sad, really...

And welcome to the forum if you are new to it.
  • bristol_pilot
    bristol_pilot Posts: 2,235 Forumite
    Options
    I agree - go with the index-linked certs. They are such a good deal they have been withdrawn except for re-investments.
  • le_loup
    Options
    Sapphire wrote: »
    P.S. Suggest you ignore the unpleasant little git who provided you with an initial response. Some people just don't seem to have enough to do to occupy them and feel the need to post pointless messages on Internet forums. Sad, really...

Surely you can't mean me who is trying desperately to get people to think about and take responsibility for their own actions?

There are millions of postings on here by people who can't be bothered to think about their own money.

I think it might be better if people did their own research, then they would understand the advice they are being given.

Your take is obviously different!
  • StevieJ
    StevieJ Posts: 20,174 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    le_loup wrote: »
    Surely you can't mean me who is trying desperately to get people to think about and take responsibility for their own actions?

There are millions of postings on here by people who can't be bothered to think about their own money.

I think it might be better if people did their own research, then they would understand the advice they are being given.

Your take is obviously different!

Presumably they do think about their money, that is why they are here going a bit of research :)
    'Just think for a moment what a prospect that is. A single market without barriers visible or invisible giving you direct and unhindered access to the purchasing power of over 300 million of the worlds wealthiest and most prosperous people' Margaret Thatcher
  • kidmugsy
    kidmugsy Posts: 12,709 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    "They are such a good deal they have been withdrawn except for re-investments." Spot on. And remember that recently the Bank of England's own pension scheme moved most of its money into index-linkers. Say no more: nudge, nudge; wink, wink.
    Free the dunston one next time too.
  • le_loup
    Options
    StevieJ wrote: »
    Presumably they do think about their money, that is why they are here going a bit of research :)
    I agree, if you take an approach like a present day student: don't think about it and come to a conclusion; look it up on the Internet.
    This site is full of suggestions, mostly well reasoned, that is more than sufficient resource for anyone wishing to save. At minimum I would expect people to look at those suggestions and come on the forum when there is some point on which they need clarification.
    Too often, as in this case, a new person comes on and says: "I've got three and four pence, what should I do with it?"!
    No evidence of any work, any thought, any effort.
    Maybe I'm getting too old for this. :p
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.7K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.3K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.9K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.4K Life & Family
  • 248.5K Travel & Transport