Forum Home» How much have you saved?

Frugal Living Challenge 2011 - part 2 - Page 3

New Post Advanced Search

Frugal Living Challenge 2011 - part 2

edited 2 April 2011 at 8:11AM in How much have you saved?
1.3K replies 107.9K views

Replies

• mommyof4mommyof4 Forumite
    176 posts
    Hi everyone
    wow where did the first three months of 2011 go? scary how time is flying.
    Anyway, lost my way a little lately, due to unexpected bills etc, so hopefully this new thread will bring me back to frugalling properly.
    xx
    (vegetarian & vegan family: me, DH, DS11 & DS 7, 3 dogs and 3 cats (not veggie )
    Sealed pot challenge No 020
    challenge 5: [part 2] £426.09!!
    challenge 6: £272.14
    challenge 7: (target £500)
    Dont forget the birds - feed them your scraps :)
  • Wading through my receipts .....

I bought some cat food from PAH in Feb (guaranteed that they would eat it, or your money back and ..... guess what)

Anyway, it was March when I finally took it back and they deducted the amount from the total of everything else I'd bought - how would you show this (delete entry in Feb or only show the amount charged on 2nd visit in March)?

Thanks
    Grocery Challenge £211/£455 (01/01-31/03)
    2016 Sell: £125/£250
    £1,000 Emergency Fund Challenge #78 £3.96 / £1,000
    Vet Fund: £410.93 / £1,000
    Debt free & determined to stay that way!
  • 23rdspiral23rdspiral Forumite
    1.9K posts
    Car Insurance Carver! Xmas Saver!
    well done everyone for making it another month! i'm not quite up to looking at my SoW, but am so pleased to see people are saving where they can, and making adjustments where they need to. :T
    23rdspiral wrote: »
    ... and i'm impatient and excited and now have a garden and want to get started tomorow!!287.gif

i did it! i got started! i didnt procrastonate or worry or get distracted!!:j there are now 5 pots of seeds (mint, corriander, chives, chilli, parsley) and one mini propagator of lettuice seeds all sitting on the kitchen window sill :D
    Thing is, i dont know where to put these spends down.. they aren't 'personal' so aren't 'Other', they are house but not T&C... maybe i need to add a new colum on regular? but then i dont know. humm.. what do you real gardener-types do please?

i went over to meet a mate who does up old stoves and it looks like it'll be reasonable to have the stove serviced and even moved forward out of the fireplace a little so i can get a kettle and cooking pan on top! now how money saving would that be... our heating cooking our dinner! :D:money:

fishcake - i've a different 4 ingredient book and it's fab. let us know how you get on.

Cheryl - sorry hun but i've noticed a very small error in the 1st post, 2nd to last line - it says jan - dec 2010 ! easy oversight when cut and pasting, but thought i'd meniond it so newbies arent confused.
    Hi everyone!
    I'm a newbie on here, but would like to join this thread, probably lurking and looking!:)

I'm 55 this year, and will be made redundant from my job in the library service. The redundancy package isn't bad, but not enough to live on, and at my age, finding employment might be a bit of a challenge:eek:. Therefore, I am taking the opportunity to change my lifestyle one step at a time, and that means living within my means!!

I've already seen some great ideas, thoughts and plans.

FFS56

welcome to the board. i'm sorry to hear you're being made redundant. i'm gutted at how librarians are being treated, the have skills and the libraries are so important to communities. good luck with your challenge.
    Relax, Breathe, Love 2014 Challenges:Cross Stitch Cafe Challenger 23. Frugal Living Challenger. No buying cleaning products. I used MSE advice to reduce my car insurance from 550 to 325!! & paid it off in full!!!
  • rictus123rictus123 Forumite
    2.6K posts
    OOOH a shiney new thread! Lovely! Payday today...but will be going out for a few beers soon so get to relax..been a long week!! Almost finished at that site(35+ mile round trip....and moving to site thats 10 mile round trip so will save £££'s on petrol alone aswel as travel time! So much better for me. How much will i need for flights to Florida in May next year? Anyone know? And how much will i need for spends when im there? There for 2 weeks..think im more or less taking 2 empty suitcases and filling up with cheap clothes over there?

Got a large tin that iv been putting money in for spends...think there must be at least £100 in by now as throw in the odd note...hoping to fill it with at least £500 and getting it filled soon...il bank it but keep it to one side...

Really cant wait to get rid of my car!!! Drains money :( !

£166.94 moved into savings...so now at £742.88...more to go in in just a fortnight :) At 37.14% of target for end of May and at 3.71% of target for June 2013...progress being made....
    Work in progress...Update coming July 2012.
  • Well, that didn't take too long - there weren't actually that many receipts for March which was good!

Was going to post an extract but it now looks "wonky" as April's expenditure allowance has been added so ......

Fully spent for 2011
    Road tax
    Breakdown cover
    Car service
    However, all now done until 2012 and within budget allowed

Over budget
    Groceries - £53 :eek: (stupidly did a shop on 30th March!)
    Pets - £42 (had no idea what I spent before so guessing on this one:o)
    Fuel - £37 (again filled up on 30th March)

Under budget

Toiletries & Cleaning - £17
    Anything else - £48

Everything else on target / very slightly underspent (sometimes only 10p).

First time I've ever tried to break things down by "spend area" so some of my estimates may have been way off - it's really interesting how you spend more than you think in some areas and less in others:).

I'm finding it quite fun and wish someone had made accounts more interesting many years ago and I'd prob never have got in the mess that I did :o.

I hope I'm a reformed character and can't see me ever going back to just buying stuff that I don't need again.
    Grocery Challenge £211/£455 (01/01-31/03)
    2016 Sell: £125/£250
    £1,000 Emergency Fund Challenge #78 £3.96 / £1,000
    Vet Fund: £410.93 / £1,000
    Debt free & determined to stay that way!
  • SandraScarlettSandraScarlett Forumite
    4.1K posts
    Part of the Furniture Combo Breaker
    ✭✭✭✭
    First of all, a huge thank you to Cheryl for leading us to the Promised Land of Frugaldom, and a massive thanks for our new thread. You work so hard Cheryl, and are always so quick to welcome newcomers, and it's much appreciated. :beer:

Secondly, a big hallo and welcome to our newcomers - you'll find this a great thread, with really helpful people and enough frugal recipes and hints and tips to fill an encyclopaedia!

Oh what a great day I've had. I went out to lunch yesterday with a mate, and am out for dinner with a group of mates tonight, so thought I'd have a frugal day, meeting another friend in London, for a walk, and a Boots Meal Deal. We both have Freedom Passes, so our fares are free.

Anyway, we were moseying around Covent Garden, when who should we see but The Queen, Wills, Kate and 4 Corgis!!! Not the real ones of course, but an April Fools Day thing, but it was great fun! :rotfl: They had a mock wedding at St Pauls Church in Covent Garden, which is the actors' church, and apparently then drove along Piccadilly, and Hyde Park.

We were interviewed by ITV (wasn't shown, no doubt on the cutting room floor :(), and when they asked what we thought about the real wedding, I said "I wish them well, and may they have a long and happy married life. They deserve it. Let's face it, the Royal Family haven't had much luck with long marriages lately"!!

We sat in the sun, enjoying our meal deal, and I had a great time for £3!! Will be spending a helluva lot more tonight, but meeting up with good friends is more important than another £20 in the bank! Anyway, they're all way younger than me, and I'm flattered to be asked, and hopeful that they'll visit me, should I ever be carted off to the knackers yard!!

Have a great weekend everyone, and a lovely Mothers Day to all our Mummies. :T :T :T

xx
  • cw18cw18 Forumite
    8.2K posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
    ✭✭✭✭
    I bought some cat food from PAH in Feb (guaranteed that they would eat it, or your money back and ..... guess what)

Anyway, it was March when I finally took it back and they deducted the amount from the total of everything else I'd bought - how would you show this (delete entry in Feb or only show the amount charged on 2nd visit in March)?
    If I take something back (not on the same day) I generally enter a line with a negative spend - noting in the 'what' column that it was a refund for xyz bought on 1/2/3
    Cheryl
  • cw18cw18 Forumite
    8.2K posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
    ✭✭✭✭
    23rdspiral wrote: »
    Cheryl - sorry hun but i've noticed a very small error in the 1st post, 2nd to last line - it says jan - dec 2010 ! easy oversight when cut and pasting, but thought i'd meniond it so newbies arent confused.
    Many thanks for the eagle eyes - yes, I'd totally missed that one blush.gif

But it's sorted now :) (on this thread anyway, will go and fix in part 1 in a minute!)
    Cheryl
  • Living_proofLiving_proof Forumite
    1.7K posts
    Ninth Anniversary 1,000 Posts Combo Breaker
    ✭✭✭
    I would like to join please for April and because I have just defrosted my groaning freezer and uncluttered my food cupboards, I would like to aim for £50. So it's a joint store cupboard challenge as well. I work at home so have generally five or six NSD's each week whether I like it or not.
    Solar Suntellite 250 x16 4kW Afore 3600TL dual 2KW E 2KW W no shade, DN15 March 14
    Mortgage and Debt Free. Unfortunately Pension Free too!
  • Hi

Welcome to everyone new :hello:

where did the last three months go :eek:

for the first three months i was under budget ( in total ) as I spent less than I had in - so i'm very happy with where things are right now

hope everyone has a great weekend & mothers day
    Emma :hello:
This discussion has been closed.

Quick links

Essential Money | Who & Where are you? | Work & Benefits | Household and travel | Shopping & Freebies | About MSE | The MoneySavers Arms | Covid-19 & Coronavirus Support