Forum Home» How much have you saved?

Frugal Living Challenge 2011 - part 2 - Page 2

New Post Advanced Search

Frugal Living Challenge 2011 - part 2

edited 2 April 2011 at 8:11AM in How much have you saved?
1.3K replies 107.9K views

Replies

• Morning everyone!

I've been directed to this thread by the lovely Flying Fresian (thanks FF ;)) because we're about to take a massive hit on our income (down £500 :eek:) due to me being unable to continue my job in a chippy because I'm pregnant and I've got a hernia!

I suspect I will be mostly lurking and stealing ideas to make our money go further, but is there a recommended starting point?

TIA :)

• Please may I join from april onwards - tend to keep my accounts to tie in with tax year anyway. Many thanks
  • cw18cw18 Forumite
    8.2K posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
    ✭✭✭✭
    welcome both :T
    names added to list :)
    Cheryl
  • apple_mintapple_mint Forumite
    1.1K posts
    Welcome Winnie in Pooh and Heather 2409 :-)

Winnie in Pooh
    Cheryl's top two posts are a great place to start. I have my own spreadsheets but Cheryl has produced the Spreadsheet of Wonder which a lot of the frugalista's use. It's a good idea to track your spends so as to see how much is going out of the household and get a handle on where it is possible to cut back. I don't have a set target for the year, for me it's a case of learning how much the household costs to run and to see where I can scrape some pennies into our savings.

I've just spent a happy 45 minutes on mysupermarket.com looking at Mr T's offers to see where I can stock up on offers for April. I now have a set list of items I'm going in for (and will try not to wander off track!). We have 3 supermarkets quite close by to each other and I'm not loyal to any one of them. Who ever gives me the best price gets my pennies.
    Enjoying an MSE OS life :D
  • Kiwisaver_2Kiwisaver_2 Forumite
    1.2K posts
    Hi all, I hope you're all doing well. I lost my way at about page 51 of the last thread and the thought of trying to catchup and read the latest was all too much, so I'll try again and hopefully Q2 will slow down a bit.

I'm still doing my frugal utmost and everything is all on track having spent 'only' $3,340.07 of the $3,750.00 available quarter to date budget. So I am well pleased with being $658.93 favourable as this puts me in good stead for the higher winter heating expenses etc. The garden has been pretty productive over the past couple of months, especially with potatoes, apples and cucumbers, but we're on the very last legs now, with just a couple of butternut squashes to come and perhaps a few last apples this weekend.

I see the biggest risk of blowing the budget at the moment will be the price of petrol if it stays where it is. :eek:
    Mortgage
    Start January 2017: $268,012
    Latest balance $266,734
    Reduction: $1,278.45
  • jayIIjayII Forumite
    40.7K posts
    Hi all! Thanks for the new thread and all the fab links CW18. :)

Here's to a positive start to April! The sun is shining here and it's warmer than it's been for days. :T

I'm hoping to do better this month, I lost focus a bit last month. I'm starting today with a storecupboard check and a new frugal menu plan. I need to go through my fridge too, and find a way to use the space more efficiently. DS is veggie and I like to stock up on frozen convenience foods in for him when they're on offer, it makes my life much easier on the evenings we do have meat. I know it's lazy, but I'm sometimes so tired after work. :o

I hope everyone is well, (((hugs))) to anyone who needs them. :)
    [FONT=&quot][FONT=&quot] Fighting the biggest battle of my life. :( Started 30th January 2018.
    [/FONT]
    [/FONT]
  • OOOOOOOHHHHH shiny!!!!

I am officially in bed today with a really horrible cold :( I felt completely fine untill about 7-8pm and its just hit me hard and fast which is so strange.
    It is doubly annoying as I really thought this month Aunt Flo would finally visit, she's been missing almost a year now, but being sick normally throws me off. Oh well!!!
    My last spend of the month yesterday was the pricey sum of £2.25 lol. I picked up a wonderfull cookbook to try for £1.25.
    Link here; http://www.amazon.co.uk/Ingredients-Fabulous-Flavoursome-Recipes-Using/dp/0857200569/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1301665307&sr=8-1

I also picked up 2 knitting patterns and 2 stitchcraft magazines (one from the 70's one the 60's). One of the patterns is a crochetted wedding dress, which it just sooo beautifull!!! I've already started on it and intend to use it as my wedding dress if it looks okay. Fingers crossed. I will see if I can find a photo of it online to share with you guys.
    As I am having a day in bed recovering today is going to be a NSD.

Good luck to us all for part 2. Whoop whoop

x x x
    Happily married mother of 4 x x

Wins so far - 4
    July wins - Cetafil goodies
  • Kerry_WomanKerry_Woman Forumite
    2.9K posts
    Tenth Anniversary 1,000 Posts Combo Breaker Mortgage-free Glee!
    ✭✭✭✭
    Fishcake_Random - Hope you feel better soon.
    Frugal Living Challenge 2020
    Mortgage free as of 1st August 2013
    NST July 2020: The Turtles go Jousting 1/20
  • apple_mint wrote: »
    Welcome Winnie in Pooh and Heather 2409 :-)

Winnie in Pooh Cheryl's top two posts are a great place to start. I have my own spreadsheets but Cheryl has produced the Spreadsheet of Wonder which a lot of the frugalista's use. It's a good idea to track your spends so as to see how much is going out of the household and get a handle on where it is possible to cut back. I don't have a set target for the year, for me it's a case of learning how much the household costs to run and to see where I can scrape some pennies into our savings.

Thank you Apple Mint! I've downloaded the spreadsheet of wonder, and it is indeed wonderous :D! Will sit down with DH and the bank statements this evening and have a better look at it and try to complete it retrospectively for March and hopefully that will give me an idea of where we are along with areas for improvement in April.

I've always considered us to be a fairly frugal household but having read through a lot of the links today I can see we have lots to learn. DH might take a bit of convincing on some things, but at the end of the day he has two choices, especially with our income taking such a massive battering!

• Hello everyone, what a nice shiny new thread, thanks Cheryl.:T

Have just found the SoW memory stick - I owe an apology to my cats, it was my fault! (Put it down somewhere really silly then put something on top of it).

Off to dig out the laptop so I can go and sit in a comfy seat and enter all of March's receipts:o - will let you know how I get on (prob in 2-3 hours time)!

Welcome to Heather and Winnie - you'll be addicted to the thread in no time!:D

Have signed up for a car bootie in a couple of weeks - any seasoned "booters" out there? Do you find it's better to label/price things or not? (Last time I didn't and it was really busy and just ended up plucking a figure off the top of my head - when people didn't haggle I knew I'd def let some things go way to cheaply). Thanks
    Grocery Challenge £211/£455 (01/01-31/03)
    2016 Sell: £125/£250
    £1,000 Emergency Fund Challenge #78 £3.96 / £1,000
    Vet Fund: £410.93 / £1,000
    Debt free & determined to stay that way!
This discussion has been closed.

Quick links

Essential Money | Who & Where are you? | Work & Benefits | Household and travel | Shopping & Freebies | About MSE | The MoneySavers Arms | Covid-19 & Coronavirus Support