vic test for a car??

Options
124»

Comments

• TrickyWicky
    TrickyWicky Posts: 4,025 Forumite
    Options
    DVLA state that you must buy a new tax disc for the car. I've never heard of them unsorning a car over the phone.
  • Hasbeen
    Hasbeen Posts: 4,404 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    edited 22 March 2013 at 11:21AM
    Options
    DVLA state that you must buy a new tax disc for the car. I've never heard of them unsorning a car over the phone.

Perhaps I was lucky? Re Rep at DVLA.

I did not need a new tax disc as original was still on car and valid.

Had been originally told on phoning up to sorn car to send tax disc in if I wanted any refund due.

But I had advised Rep that I was keeping it as car was only going to be off road for short time.

He agreed that this was ok, so no problems when phoned back to unsorn.

Only thing said to me that car still had VIC marker on it:)
    The world is not ruined by the wickedness of the wicked, but by the weakness of the good. Napoleon
  • J-Lancs
    Options
    Yeah but not all cars have to go through VIC check. From memory, it's only Cat C or B that have to have a VIC check as it's been possibly or heavily structurally damaged (in other words, you might have to swap bits of the chassis and might end up using a nicked car).

If its Category D damage (scrapes, dents, minor stuff) then VIC isn't needed as its not serious enough to warrant serious rebuilding.

Mine is CAT C- chassis Damage.

VIC Marker on VOSA website so it does require it for definite but i've just never bothered as I am keeping it.

i think it's a 'hit or miss' with this VIC thing... for me personally I find it a scam as the only chassis damage to my car was the chassis legs that hold the front bumper re-enforcer. rest was just bumper and light.

mine was a very fine line Cat C..plus the VIC check centre is 35 miles away!
  • Rolandtheroadie
    Rolandtheroadie Posts: 5,102 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options

Just to confirm what Hasbeen stated, you can indeed unsorn a car over the phone.

I called them up, they took a contact number and said they would be in touch if there was any problems.

Just checked online and it's showing as being licenced again.
  • vaipetr
    vaipetr Posts: 1 Newbie
    Options
    Hi, I need to get a VIC done in order to tax my car as I am a new keeper, but there's a small problem with the car at the moment - it will not start by turning key in ignition, the starter has to be shorted with the ignition on to jump start it. Other than that else is fine, it has recent mot. Do you think I would I fail a VIC because of that?
  • skivenov
    skivenov Posts: 2,204 Forumite
    Options
    Just be a little bit careful before you take it in.

I can't remember on the Ka, but most Fords this age have a vin stamp on the drivers floor under a plastic flap in the carpet just inside the door.

Being a Ford of a certain age, this could well have rusted over, so it might be worth taking the carpet back and cleaning this area up with a wire brush.
    Yes it's overwhelming, but what else can we do?
    Get jobs in offices and wake up for the morning commute?
  • RRatchet
    RRatchet Posts: 58 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    edited 28 November 2014 at 3:44PM
    Options
    additionLast year about this time I purchased a car on ebay for £200.01 (at the time that was its scrap price so still worth the punt if it turned out to be a pup). The car was being advertised by a small garage on behalf of it's owner as she had bought a replacement car from them. The owner had had an accident and had damaged the front & back door panels on one side; there was no structural damage. It just looked a little untidy (and still does, although the damage is not really noticeable under all the dubs). Anyhow it has a VIC marker against it; probably the insurance company thought it wasn't worth repairing due to its value. We collected the car & were given the whole of the original logbook. The car had 6 months MOT & 1 1/2 month Tax on it. So when it came to tax it I went to the Post Office with all the documents & got the tax disc. The PO retained the log book to send off to DVLA & I got the new keepers slip. A long time later I got a letter from DVLA saying it needs a VIC. I still haven't done it for several reasons; the test centre is 35 miles away in a place I rarely go to; I don't want to pay the fee; I can still tax it at the PO with the new keeper supplement; I will not be selling it on but will scrap it when it dies; I have insurance and an MOT so am legal; I did fill out the old log book & had it sent off so DVLA know that I am the new keeper; a year on I am loathe to go to the hassle of getting the check done when the car may not last much longer & I'll be scrapping it anyhow.

Seems like it was an automatic reaction by the original owners insurance company to have a VIC marker placed against the car. The damage sustained was purely cosmetic (it has not been allocated an accident category) & in no way compromised the safety or functionality of the vehicle. The previous owner could easily have carried on using the car but was apparently too embarrassed to.

As I will have to tax the car again soon I will find out whether it is still possible to do it at the PO & will post again with the results.
  • Krystianclio
    Options
    I have a renult Clio and has a small back damage and I am not sure if you'll go through vic cheke and do I need to repair it
  • colino
    colino Posts: 5,059 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    Options
    Only if an insurance company are involved and they deign it a Cat C do you need a VIC. Come October, as the scheme has had so little impact, the VIC is getting abolished too.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure