Any Free Payroll Software around?

Options
Hi All

I am trying to help a friend who employes some people in her pub. At the moment, she has a local company work out her payroll for her. As life is extremely difficult for most publicans, I have offered to do her payroll for her but she can't afford expensive packages.

I would appreciate any help on this matter..

Thanks in advance

Cheers :)

Comments

• Hammyman
    Hammyman Posts: 9,913 Forumite
    Options
    officeguru wrote: »
    Hi All

I am trying to help a friend who employes some people in her pub. At the moment, she has a local company work out her payroll for her. As life is extremely difficult for most publicans, I have offered to do her payroll for her but she can't afford expensive packages.

Firstly, what qualifies you to do payroll? Does this company only do payroll for her or is it like a business my friend runs where they do all the books for her? Would you be expected to do that?

I'm asking specifically because a pub my friend does the books for is disposing of her services and it is complicated enough that if someone coming in doesn't have a clue about tax law and merely knows how to do wages, they could bankrupt the pub if they get it wrong.
  • John_Gray
    John_Gray Posts: 5,823 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post Photogenic First Anniversary
    Options
    With all due respect to you, I wouldn't want to rely on a "free" payroll package. How much does this company charge?
    With payroll, NI, pension contributions, and so on, there are a whole lot of things to get right with HMRC (if not for the employees!) which is why something like SagePay exists and costs £quite-a-lot.
    If you do the work, and should get it wrong, I hope you have hefty liability insurance to pay up when people and HMRC line up to sue you...
  • officeguru
    officeguru Posts: 725 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Thank you for your replies.

I am qualified to do payroll and, funnily enough, I taught sage packages and others up to 2 years ago. It's just that she can't afford to buy professional packages and, although I would imput the figures for her, she would take on the responsibility of the payroll run.. In actual fact, apart from cost, the other main reason for wanting to go elsewhere is that the company keeps making mistakes !!! But thanks for the replies, I know that she has done payroll in the past, but she might not be aware that she could be sued.

Cheers
  • Snakeeyes21
    Snakeeyes21 Posts: 2,527 Forumite
    Options
  • johnmc
    johnmc Posts: 1,265 Forumite
    Options
    You could have a look at the HMRC website.

Companies charge for payroll software for a reason. The Govt keep moving the goalposts and it's a lot of work to keep rewriting it.
  • kabayiri
    kabayiri Posts: 22,740 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Here's another one :-
    http://www.diyaccounting.co.uk/

Do your own research before committing, for obvious reasons :)
  • todolistsocd
    todolistsocd Posts: 4,194 Forumite
    Options
    Hi,

Have a look Here

Hope this helps!
  • Hammyman
    Hammyman Posts: 9,913 Forumite
    Options
    officeguru wrote: »
    Thank you for your replies.

I am qualified to do payroll and, funnily enough, I taught sage packages and others up to 2 years ago. It's just that she can't afford to buy professional packages and, although I would imput the figures for her, she would take on the responsibility of the payroll run.. In actual fact, apart from cost, the other main reason for wanting to go elsewhere is that the company keeps making mistakes !!! But thanks for the replies, I know that she has done payroll in the past, but she might not be aware that she could be sued.

Cheers

Walk, no run away. I seriously wouldn't want to be putting my name to anything that was done half-assed that involves HMRC.

Do you not have Payroll? AFAIR, there was some way to have client licences.
  • System
    System Posts: 178,094 Community Admin
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    hmmm...... bump a thread more than a year old, advertise something - spidey senses tingling!
  • aerostar
    aerostar Posts: 1,736 Forumite
    Name Dropper Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    For anyone wanting Free or Paid for, HMRC have a list of certified software

http://www.hmrc.gov.uk/efiling/paye/paye_software_forms.htm
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income