PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

MealPlans WB 4th April 2011

Options
JulieGeorgiana
JulieGeorgiana Posts: 2,475 Forumite
Debt-free and Proud!
edited 3 April 2011 at 3:56PM in Old style MoneySaving
Due to Special Dietary Requirements I sometimes eat an alternative/adapted meal (Specified in Brackets)

Saturday 2nd – Pepperoni Pizza (w/ Chips for DH/DS and Guests) :dance:
Sunday 3rd – Lasagne and Salad :dance:
Monday 4th – Butternut Squash Soup w/ HM Bread
Tuesday 5th – Tuna Napolitana w/ Pasta (Herrings w/ Onion on Toast)
Wednesday 6th – Leftover Lasagne w/ Salad
Thursday 7th – Mititei w/ Mash and Veg (w/ Broccoli and Cheese)
Friday 8th – HM Chicken Kebabs *The Takeaway Secret*

Other cooking/baking to do this week:

Ø 4 x Loaves of White Bread for DH/DS
Ø 4 x Loaves of Stoneground Wholewheat Bread for ME
Ø 10 x Soups for Lunches
Ø Scones for Lunchboxes

Breakfasts:
Mon - Fri: Toast OH, Cereal DS, Rye Bread and Pate ME
Sat: Eggs on Toast
Sun: Cooked Breakfast

Lunches:
Mon - Fri: Sandwiches, Fruit, Veg, Scones and Yoghurt OH & DS, Soup ME
Sat: Soup
Sun: Soup

Snacks:
Popcorn, Biscuits, Scones, Fruit and Veg OH & DS
Popcorn, Oatcakes and Cheese, Nuts and Seeds ME
We spend money we don't have, on things that we don't need, to impress people we don't like. I don't and I'm happy!
:dance: Mortgage Free Wannabe :dance:
Overpayments Made: £5400 - Interest Saved: £11,550 - Months Saved: 24

Comments

• JillS_2
    JillS_2 Posts: 262 Forumite
    Options
    I picked up a reduced chicken last week so had that roast instead of the planned devilled chicken (using cooked chicken from freezer) and later in the week as well.

I find planning is really useful and I almost always have a cooked meal in the evening now instead of going into the kitchen hungry and just having cheese sandwich, cheese on toast or cheese on pasta (it was almost always one of those three)

Planning also helps me make better use of my freezer and use up food in rotation rather than letting it languish there for months. And because of this I'm also being much better about labelling food and checking it in and out of my inventory.

I've actually got the next 40 days planned but as you can see from the above there's room in my planner for changes and adaptation.

This week's meals start with one that wasn't in the original but comes from the unexpected roast chicken meal.

S. Cold roast chicken, salad, hot new potatoes
    S. Gammon rasher, creamed potatoes and leeks, broad beans
    M. Kedgeree
    T. Courgette and tomato dahl, rice
    W. Liver, bacon, onions in gravy, creamed potatoes, cabbage
    T. Grilled herring, bread and butter
    F. Spag bol

Breakfasts: mostly oats or cheap muesli soaked in apple juice (thanks to the people who suggested that in a recent thread) and perhaps herring roes on toast for Friday if Thursday's herring is a goodun.

Lunches: leftovers that are not enough or not suitable to freeze, soup from freezer or chicken and salad sandwiches
  • misscousinitt
    misscousinitt Posts: 3,655 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Mortgage-free Glee!
    Options
    Hi all and thanks JulieGeorgina for starting the thread...

This week we are having:

Thurs: Breaded Fish, Salad, HM Dip, Pitta Bread & Wedges
    Fri: Haven't quite decided yet - depends on how much baking I have to do for Sat fundraiser
    Sat: Spicy Turkey Mince & Rice
    Sun: Eat at DH's parents
    Mon: HM Meatballs (from freezer), Sauce & Pasta
    Tues: Fish Pie
    Wed: Roast Chicken with all the trimmings

My Breakfast will be oats or special flakes with dried fruit.

Like the museli & apple juice idea - might give that a whirl.

Have a good week all.

A

x
    Mortgage Free x 1 03.11.2012 - House rented out Feb 2016
    Mortgage No 2: £82, 595.61 (31.08.2019)
    OP's to Date £8500

Renovation Fund:£511.39;
    Nectar Points Balance: approx £30 (31.08.2019)
  • sausagesandwich19
    Options
    Not sure yet will edit
  • lostinrates
    lostinrates Posts: 55,283 Forumite
    I've been Money Tipped!
    edited 31 March 2011 at 4:12PM
    Options
    I really need this help this week. Unexpected but delightful week when DH has returned home from London. Last night was a bit random freezer stuff. Things are complicated by him recovering from a cold and me having caught it: so arduous cooking dosn't appeal. I'm craving random foods...things we don't have... freshly stewed tomato on toast, or roast duck, or jam roly poly (last eaten over ten years ago I'm sure!) I did a freezer dive yesterday but already forgotten what's in there. :(

Today: Lunch bean burger (bought) and freezer veg. Supper: might do somthing to use up an open bag of millet....with more freezer veg? then a blackberry crumble for him for pudding?

Oh dear.....I'll think about this nd edit a better plan later!

edit: I'll me doing ameal plan tomorrow I hope. Since this morning the cold dh brought me home is settling in fast and making itself comfortable and I've decided to give myself a break and buy some food/takeaway tonight. Not OS and I deserve to be told off.
  • JulieGeorgiana
    JulieGeorgiana Posts: 2,475 Forumite
    Debt-free and Proud!
    Options
    JillS it sounds like you are really getting into the swing of planning. I also find it a great help for freezer rotation, shopping and actually having a nice meal... we used to eat the same 5 meals all the time! It also stopped take-aways and nipping to the shop for a pizza.

I did an 8 week plan for my food and the same 8 weeks over and over... obviously altering where needs be, and changing things around to suit... but it saves so much time on the meal planning.

Good Luck x
    We spend money we don't have, on things that we don't need, to impress people we don't like. I don't and I'm happy!
    :dance: Mortgage Free Wannabe :dance:
    Overpayments Made: £5400 - Interest Saved: £11,550 - Months Saved: 24
  • JillS_2
    JillS_2 Posts: 262 Forumite
    Options
    JillS it sounds like you are really getting into the swing of planning. I also find it a great help for freezer rotation, shopping and actually having a nice meal... we used to eat the same 5 meals all the time! It also stopped take-aways and nipping to the shop for a pizza.

I did an 8 week plan for my food and the same 8 weeks over and over... obviously altering where needs be, and changing things around to suit... but it saves so much time on the meal planning.

Good Luck x

I'm not sure that it saves me any time because I now spend time on planning and, in particular, reading and collecting recipes. But I spend my time on something I enjoy doing - planning - love it, all sorts not just meal planning - enjoy planning, making lists, love it - it's the doing I find hard.

Having the plan written out means that I look at it the night before or, at the latest, in the morning and get out anything needed from the freezer so that it's thawed by evening.
  • Nottoobadyet
    Nottoobadyet Posts: 1,754 Forumite
    Debt-free and Proud!
    Options
    A good week to all you happy planners! This week, we're having:
    • Tonight - leftover Shakshuka
    • Friday - out, OH's treat!
    • Saturday - pasta pesto
    • Sunday - butternut squash soup
    • Monday - HM pizza
    • Tuesday - jackets with chili
    • Wednesday - aubergine pasta sauce
    Lunches are soups and leftovers.
    Mortgage free by 30:eek:: £28,000/£100,000
    :DDebt free as of 1 October, 2010:D
    Taking my frugal life on the road!
  • CCP
    CCP Posts: 5,061 Forumite
    I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    I'm pleased to say that last week's new style of meal planning worked nicely, with only one inadvertent variation from the plan (when cooking prawns with coconut rice it's a good idea to make sure you've got a) prawns and b) coconut milk :o). So it's the same again this week:

Friday - hot chicken, bacon and avocado caesar salad with garlic bread
    Saturday - roast pork and stuffing with braised lentils and cabbage
    Sunday to Thursday:
    hot roast pork in a bun with chips and salad
    Moroccan vegetable wraps
    meatballs in arrabiatta sauce with pasta
    kofte kebabs in wraps with tomato and avocado salad
    cheesy fish grills with jacket potato and veg
  • Vaila
    Vaila Posts: 6,301 Forumite
    Options
    I dont really mealplan as much, but just buy a load of seasonal ingredients/cheap finds and throw them all together!

This week
    Mon-Lettuce wraps filled with butternut squash,aduki beans and spicy salsa.
    Tue-Gillian McKeith's Shepardhess pie
    Wed-Lentil Dhal with pine nuts and cabbage salad (plus whatever vegetables are available)
    Thur-Same as Wednesday
    Fri-Leftovers from Tuesday served with pinenuts and more vegetables
    Saturday-Tofu scramble with added vegetables and pine nuts
    Sunday-Pizza topped with hummus,artichokes, spinach and pine nuts , served with salad

Breakfasts (if can be bothered!) will be either, porridge, soys desserts or soup
    Lunches-Bean based salads or soup (barley or lentil based) with fruit and raw crackers

Snacks-Fruit,vegetables, vegan cheese and oatcakes.

Everything is made from scratch apart from the soya yoghurt, Ive not yet mastered making vegan yoghurt but can make a mean vanilla icecream!
  • CherryPie
    CherryPie Posts: 429 Forumite
    Options
    An easy week for me as far as planning goes!

Sunday - Home made steak pie dinner, I'll be making it for Mum for Mothers day
    Monday - Eating out
    Tuesday - Eating out
    Wednesday - Eating out
    Thursday - Eating out
    Friday - Probably a takeaway
    Saturday - Freezer surprise

Going away on Monday and not back til Friday night. But courtesy of my niece and her cooking exam at school, I have plenty stock of freezer surprise!!
    My name is CherryPie and I'm addicted to grocery shopping!!

Grocery Challenge

Feb 2016 - £46.73 / £100.00
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family