Vodafone - Upgrade after 6 months?!!

Hi there,
I'm looking into getting an iPhone 4 on Vodafone 12 month contract (£99 upfront, £50/month) as this actually works out at quite good value for a heavy user.
While browsing the online shop a chat window with an advisor came up. She was trying to persuade me to get a 24 month contract (would wave handset cost and 50% for first three months). I asked about the iPhone 5 if she had any idea on release date, but interestingly she said on a 12 month contract I'd be eligible to upgrade to any new iPhone after 6 months!! Nothing to pay but a free upgrade with another 12 month contract.

I was wondering if anyone else had come across this, or was she making rubbish up to try and get me to buy then and there? She was talking a load of crap about any new iPhone being worse than the previous model so I take what she says with a pinch of salt, but even so, this seems a good deal!!

I saved the chat transcript so I can prove it to them if needs be!

Thanks

Comments

• grumbler
    grumbler Posts: 58,629
    Name Dropper First Post Photogenic First Anniversary
    Forumite
    Firstly, upgrading (even if allowed) doesn't mean getting a free iP5.
    Secondly, upgrading doesn't mean that your stay on the same tariff.
  • Mezzo
    Mezzo Posts: 33 Forumite
    Hmmm, that doesn't sound quite right to me.
    Vodafone DO allow upgrades 6 months before the end of your contract, but the difference is then added on to your new one.
    That's what I did last year to get an iPhone 4.
    I upgraded with 6 months to go, but they would only then let me have a new 18 month contract... effectively turning it into a new 24 month commitment.
  • Vodafone
    Vodafone Posts: 4,297 Organisation Representative
    Hi geographyphil,

I can understand why this sounds a little strange and I’ll be happy to clarify this.

I’m pleased to let you know that we can arrange upgrades up to 6 months before your contract expiry date, which means that if you have a 12 months contract, you can then have an early upgrade after just 6 months.

The new contract period however is then added on top of your exiting contract length and so will begin once you current contract period has ended.

If you need any further help, feel free to email us via Web Relations Team and we’ll be happy to look into this for you.

(When contacting, please quote the code WRT135 in the subject line. In the main message body, please include a link to this thread and your user name. This will ensure that your message comes directly through to my team).

Best wishes,

Jenny
    Web Relations Team
    Vodafone UK
    Official Company Representative
    I am the official company representative of Vodafone. MSE has given permission for me to post in response to queries about the company, so that I can help solve issues. You can see my name on the companies with permission to post list. I am not allowed to tout for business at all. If you believe I am please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com This does NOT imply any form of approval of my company or its products by MSE"
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.8K Life & Family
  • 247.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure