SAAS/SLC help

Options
Next year, the halls rent is going up from £60 per week, to £100 per week - using the same formula as they did for this year, it works out to be £514 a month - which is a massive difference from the £308 it is now

My question is what will happen with my SAAS payment for next year, will it just remain the same meaning I'll be struggling by just depending on the money for the loan?

I also get the top amount of payment for the Bursary as my family income is lower than £18'000 ?

Thanks in advance
Currently in a Trust Deed 43 payments until DEBT FREE - February 2027

Comments

• MrsBartolozzi
    MrsBartolozzi Posts: 6,358 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    I don't think figures have been published yet for this year but 10/11 loans/bursary were higher than the previous year's. Whether this will cover all your increase I don't know, although my son's hall fees this year are higher than your new rate and he does ok.

Have they said why it's going up so much? That's a pretty big jump. Is it for a longer period, but paid for over a shorter period or does it now include food?

It's only a game
    ~*~*~ We're only here to dream ~*~*~
  • Oldernotwiser
    Oldernotwiser Posts: 37,425 Forumite
    Options
    Surely this would be the time to move out if fees are going up so much?
  • GothicStirling
    Options
    Surely this would be the time to move out if fees are going up so much?

The issue is that in halls, the charge is inclusive of rent, heating and electricty. Then by living off campus they need to take in consideration broadband (my uni charges £20), travelling costs and buying lunch/coffees if you're used to returning to your flat after lectures.

Rent off campus is going to be £300-400 a month (+ holding deposit), heating and electricity, my broadband is £40 for three months, travelling costs £20 a month and plus add ons like lunch and coffee if I haven't made a packed lunch.
  • GothicStirling
    Options
    ryan92 wrote: »
    Next year, the halls rent is going up from £60 per week, to £100 per week - using the same formula as they did for this year, it works out to be £514 a month - which is a massive difference from the £308 it is now

My question is what will happen with my SAAS payment for next year, will it just remain the same meaning I'll be struggling by just depending on the money for the loan?

I also get the top amount of payment for the Bursary as my family income is lower than £18'000 ?

Thanks in advance

My advice is to reassess your budget, cut back on non-essentials [beer money and cigarettes etc.] If you don't have a job, then you might have to start. Also look for summer jobs to save up some cash. I've been in Scotland for four years now, and never failed to find a summer job in tourism.

I know the money offered by SAAS is crap, but be prepared because in your fourth year you receive lower funding than in previous years.
  • ryan92
    ryan92 Posts: 587 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    edited 30 March 2011 at 1:18PM
    Options
    I thought this was maybe the case.
    As far as the non-essentials go, I don't smoke and very rarely drink so I can't do anything there - all my money went towards was food, the odd dvd here and there, ( which will no longer be happening ), travelling home twice a month and my phone contract.

It's such a big jump because the uni is opening it's new campus this year, and thus, it's brand new halls.

It's difficult for me to get a job during term time as my course is TV production so it is very practical based, and there is alot of filming/editing required.
    I am hoping to get a job during the summer but just worried that if I don't manage to get one and september comes back around, I'm in a lot of trouble :(
  • GothicStirling
    GothicStirling Posts: 1,157 Forumite
    Options
    ryan92 wrote: »
    It's difficult for me to get a job during term time as my course is TV production so it is very practical based, and there is alot of filming/editing required.
    I am hoping to get a job during the summer but just worried that if I don't manage to get one and september comes back around, I'm in a lot of trouble :(

Whereabouts are you in Scotland?

Personally, I was getting ready to take CV's around to every restaurant, pubs, cafes and hotels in the Stirling area to get a job. I got lucky and I was offered a job at Scone Palace. I would recommend doing that, a lot of places don't advertise but if you go into a hotel with a CV they are always desperate for staff.
  • ryan92
    Options
    Whereabouts are you in Scotland?

Personally, I was getting ready to take CV's around to every restaurant, pubs, cafes and hotels in the Stirling area to get a job. I got lucky and I was offered a job at Scone Palace. I would recommend doing that, a lot of places don't advertise but if you go into a hotel with a CV they are always desperate for staff.

I'm in Wishaw, Lanarkshire - as I said though, I'll be trying desperately to get a job, it's essential I get one if I want to continue uni.
    I've calculated everything up and despite the halls being more expensive this year, it still would work out cheaper than renting a flat, as you mentioned, too
  • Oldernotwiser
    Oldernotwiser Posts: 37,425 Forumite
    Options
    The issue is that in halls, the charge is inclusive of rent, heating and electricty. Then by living off campus they need to take in consideration broadband (my uni charges £20), travelling costs and buying lunch/coffees if you're used to returning to your flat after lectures.

Rent off campus is going to be £300-400 a month (+ holding deposit), heating and electricity, my broadband is £40 for three months, travelling costs £20 a month and plus add ons like lunch and coffee if I haven't made a packed lunch.

I daresay you're right but how do you know this in so much detail?
  • Jennikay
    Jennikay Posts: 258 Forumite
    Options
    £100... in Scotland... non-catered?! that's madness :eek:

Are you moving campus, is that why you have to move? Can you not stay in the old halls?

I suppose part-way through the year you could apply for whatever hardship fund your university has.
  • ryan92
    Options
    the old halls are getting knocked down so we all need to move into the new halls
    Yeah, it's non-catered too
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family