PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.
🗳️ ELECTION 2024: THE MSE LEADERS' DEBATE Got a burning question you want us to ask the party leaders ahead of the general election? Post them on our dedicated Forum board where you can see and upvote other users' questions, or submit your suggestions via this form. Please note that the Forum's rules on avoiding general political discussion still apply across all boards.

neck of lamb - what to do?

Options

Comments

• meanmarie
    meanmarie Posts: 5,328 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Don't take out the bone first as it makes a huge difference to the taste, don't have a slow cooker but often do curry in oven with neck....excellent value.

Marie
    Weight 08 February 86kg
  • Pink.
    Pink. Posts: 17,675 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Hi onetomany,

Neck of lamb is delicious cooked slowly with garlic, onions, rosemary and tinned tomatoes. The fat disolves and the meat falls off the bone.

There's an earlier thread with more ideas:

neck of lamb - what to do?

I'll add your thread to it later to keep the suggestions together.

Pink
  • floss2
    floss2 Posts: 8,030 Forumite
    Options
    Also use it for Delia's lancashire hotpot from cookery course :drool:
  • I use neck of lamb a lot- really good in curries or slow cooked.

There's a Jamie Oliver recipe in his first book, where you cook the lamb slowly with tomatoes, ginger, red chilli and aubergine and he specifically advises using neck of lamb. Have friends coning to stay this weekend and that's what I'm making for them.
  • curlytop12
    curlytop12 Posts: 1,224 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    onetomany wrote: »
    do you cut the bone of first this sounds yummy
    no, the bones add to flavour and the meat just falls off them at the end of cooking:)
  • Jojo_the_Tightfisted
    Options
    Neck fillet is ridiculously cheap too, and can be so tender, it's comparable to the pricey steaks they sell these days. What I do is slice it into quarter inch/7mm thick slices and leave it to marinade in yoghurt plus tandoori spices for curry, in lemon and olive oil for a plain dish/kebab style or mirin/sake/soy sauce for Japanese/Chinese style. Then dump it in a scarily hot pan, flip it over and a few moments later you have tender morsels of lamb ready for your rice/salad/pitta.

A £3 bit of neck fillet will happily feed me and DD2, as long as we have veggies or rice/bread to go with it. And the oriental style one make the most delicious gravy I have ever tasted - as it soaks into the bowl of rice it is sooooo good!
    I could dream to wide extremes, I could do or die: I could yawn and be withdrawn and watch the world go by.
    colinw wrote: »
    Yup you are officially Rock n Roll :D
  • MrsE_2
    MrsE_2 Posts: 24,162 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Got a one & a half lamb neck fillets I bought for a tenth of the price in Waitrose (they are great for reductions - when they reduce, they really reduce:money:).

Been in my freezer. What shall I do with it? I don't think its a cut I've ever used before:o

Was thinking of a lamb tagine.
  • Pink.
    Pink. Posts: 17,675 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    There's an earlier thread with ideas that should help so I've added your thread to it to keep the suggestions together.

You'll also find tagine recipes here:

Does anyone else have a tagine??

Pink
  • empressemma
    empressemma Posts: 194 Forumite
    Options
    Hope this is the right place to put this....

Trying a new recipe on sunday (from the Jamie Oliver does... book)
    Its a lamb tagine, and the recipe asks for 800g of Lamb neck fillet, it was really expensive in sainsbags, and just popped to the local butcher and they don't have it either! So just wondering what cut I could use instead?? (as it cooks for about 4 hours, can I use cheaper cuts?)

Thanks in advance,
    Emma

:cool:
  • thorsoak
    thorsoak Posts: 7,166 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    If you can't get neck fillet, look for shoulder fillet instead!
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 10 Election 2024: The MSE Leaders' Debate
  • 343.9K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.3K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450K Spending & Discounts
  • 236K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.3K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.4K Life & Family
  • 248.7K Travel & Transport