Options

Comments

• roddydogs
    roddydogs Posts: 7,478 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    dori2o wrote: »
    No it's not.

The onus to pay the correct amount of tax lies with the individual.

If you know or suspect something is wrong it is your responsibility to contact HMRC and put it right.

Why would anyone who suspects he/she is underpaying tell the HMRC?, at worst its a free loan you can get interest on, at best you can use ESC 19 and not pay the tax anyway.!!
  • Dewpoint
    Dewpoint Posts: 144 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Mikeyorks wrote: »
    Now you've rather belatedly provided the info that you were self employed ....... perhaps it's about time you relied on yourself rather than your MP :

I've little doubt the Code issued - done that way in the absence of a P161 - had a Month 1 suffix.

What forum have been reading? With your level of comprehension you could well qualify as an HMRC employee - or are you one already?
    I'm retired, and have been for some time - it's there in my posts. It seems to me that the HMRC lives in a fairyland of P161's, endless time-frames and arrogant assumptions that they are always right because they have a form that says so - much as we have come to expect from almost all government departments. They are even failing miserably to meet the service standards they set for themselves in their own Charter, one of which says that "we aim to reply fully within 10 working days of receiving your letter." - well its been 6 weeks since my last letter! Another example of bungling incompetence.
  • Mikeyorks
    Mikeyorks Posts: 10,369 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Dewpoint wrote: »
    What forum have been reading? With your level of comprehension you could well qualify as an HMRC employee - or are you one already?

Just this one - and no, I don't work for HMRC.

The greater level of comprehension is shown at post #26. But I notice you skated over that one quite glibly. Presumably it doesn't suit your pre conceived notions that you haven't actually understood the problem.
    If you want to test the depth of the water .........don't use both feet !
  • murphydavid
    murphydavid Posts: 832 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Dewpoint wrote: »
    I'm retired, and have been for some time - it's there in my posts. It seems to me that the HMRC lives in a fairyland of P161's, endless time-frames and arrogant assumptions that they are always right because they have a form that says so - much as we have come to expect from almost all government departments. They are even failing miserably to meet the service standards they set for themselves in their own Charter, one of which says that "we aim to reply fully within 10 working days of receiving your letter." - well its been 6 weeks since my last letter! Another example of bungling incompetence.

I came here in the hope to find A way out but I'm not the only one it appears! I retired in December since when I have received PAYE coding notices by the shed load all of which say I am getting pensions from companies I have never heard of. I filled in and sent (twice now) a form saying exactly what I get also a letter asking for contact details of the companies who seem to be telling the tax people they are paying me money so I can ask them what they are at. I have also sent a letter asking for urgent action to find out if someone else has hijacked my national insurance number. In the mean time the companies who are actually paying me a pension are taxing me on everything when I should not be paying anything for the remainder of this year.
    All I get in return is more and more bizarre PAYE Coding Notices.
    I do try ringing them but after the various automated selections I get an awful please wait recording thing and at 10p per minuet having waited £3.00 worth I have to hang up.
    Your derisory remarks about HMRC employee's is well justified in fact we could invent a new phrase for morons vis "you are as stupid as a HMRC employee"
    Anyway I needed to rant but seriously can anyone please tell me how I can contact the PAYE people and just achieve a meaningful dialogue or just get them to answer directly one of my letters instead of sending me more PAYE coding notices that have no resemblance to reality.
  • murphydavid
    murphydavid Posts: 832 Forumite
    Options
    dori2o wrote: »
    No it's not.

The onus to pay the correct amount of tax lies with the individual.

If you know or suspect something is wrong it is your responsibility to contact HMRC and put it right.

They don't answer the phone or read correspondence. At least not mine written in January then once a week till now. If you know a way to contact them please let me know it.
    Come the new tax year I am going to have to register a complaint then move on to the ombudsman.
    And who is going to pay me for all the stamps and aborted phone calls?
    What a disaster they are.
  • mardatha
    mardatha Posts: 15,612 Forumite
    Options
    My husband didn't receive a P161 before his birthday even after we phoned 3 times. The other day he got an £80 refund and now today he has a new tax code that doesn't make any sense at all :(
  • xylophone
    xylophone Posts: 44,427 Forumite
    Options
    mardatha wrote: »
    My husband didn't receive a P161 before his birthday even after we phoned 3 times. The other day he got an £80 refund and now today he has a new tax code that doesn't make any sense at all :(
    http://search2.hmrc.gov.uk/kb5/hmrc/forms/view.page?record=VYd0uMhbiYk&formid=3161
    http://www.hmrc.gov.uk/incometax/codes-pensions-benefits.htm
  • xylophone
    xylophone Posts: 44,427 Forumite
    Options
    They don't answer the phone or read correspondence. At least not mine written in January then once a week till now. If you know a way to contact them please let me know it.
    Come the new tax year I am going to have to register a complaint then move on to the ombudsman.

http://www.hmrc.gov.uk/enq/

Make an appointment to see an adviser?
  • dori2o
    dori2o Posts: 8,150 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options

Thats funny, I've answered about 30 calls today in just short of 5 hours.

The phones are manned from 7.45am til 8pm mon to fri, and 7.45 am til 4pm on Saturdays, plenty of time available for you to phone.

You may have to wait in a queue, but then so does everyone else at the minute. If you're unwilling to do that, then tough.
    [SIZE=-1]To equate judgement and wisdom with occupation is at best . . . insulting.
    [/SIZE]
  • dampsquib
    dampsquib Posts: 179 Forumite
    Options

I had a problem with my code numbers and wrote to HMRC on 31st January. I was pleasantly surprised to see new code numbers issued on 22nd February. As they are under-staffed, I expected it to take longer.

I appreciate that it's frustrating waiting for a problem to be resolved, but I don't think "weekly letters" will help, it just gives them more to do, and potentially introduces problems when the letters get worked by different HMRC bods.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure