MSE News: Pensioners hit by further HMRC tax code errors

Options

Comments

• jem16
    jem16 Posts: 19,398 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Photogenic
    Options
    down wrote: »
    For Pennywise: State Pension was only added to the tax system about 3 years ago

Don't be riduculous - it's always been classed as taxable income.
    plus you used to be able to take a lump sum tax free from a company pension on retirement, it also gets taxed, that was introduced arround 2008/2009.

Rubbish! I am entitled to a tax-free lump sum from my teacher's pension.

http://www.direct.gov.uk/en/Pensionsandretirementplanning/Companyandpersonalpensions/CompanyPensions/DG_10026617

Where on earth do you get your information from?
  • Pennywise
    Pennywise Posts: 13,468 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    down wrote: »
    For Pennywise: State Pension was only added to the tax system about 3 years ago plus you used to be able to take a lump sum tax free from a company pension on retirement, it also gets taxed, that was introduced arround 2008/2009.

Wrong on both counts. Making fundamental errors does nothing to help your arguments.
  • Dalice
    Dalice Posts: 3 Newbie
    Options
    Two quotes from the main article -
    "While not everyone in that category (over 65) has underpaid, no-one outside that group is affected."
    "This same group of 146,000 pensioners also owed tax from 08/09 and 09/10 tax years. However, HMRC has written off these demands."
    I am under 65 and have just had a payment request for 09/10 for over £1,000 as my state pension had not been taxed and I was apparently on the wrong tax code. Now wondering whether this amount will be written off for me?:eek:
  • Dewpoint
    Dewpoint Posts: 144 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    After reaching pensionable age in Dec 2011 I received a "Notice of Coding" change from the HMRC Office in Liverpool which reduced my tax-free income substantially and contained several errors including one which stated that my code was being reduced because I will receive an estimated £5000+ in state pension for the year 2011/12, ie. a whole year's worth of state pension. Now anyone with a basic understanding of maths would be able to show that if a person turned 65 in Dec 2011 they wont receive a full year's pension by April 2012.
    I wrote to HMRC (twice + letters of complaint + letter to my MP), pointing out their errors to no avail. The change of coding went through anyway and my occupational pension provider promptly deducted half my normal pension income for January 2012, leaving me short of money at a time when bills are highest.
    The people who work for the HMRC are either morons or vindictive barstewards who are accountable to no one.
  • Jennifer_Jane
    Jennifer_Jane Posts: 3,237 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    edited 14 March 2012 at 10:39AM
    Options
    The other 'error' by HMRC is that the coding letter sent out when you are 64 (ie aged 65 during the following tax year) assumes a total income above £28930, despite having been on a pension of roughly £12,000 for the previous 2 years.

Pensioners need to really read and understand these coding letters, I have a little sum on my spreadsheet, so can check my own and my friends' tax letters.

It's absolutely disgraceful that HMRC should make this assumption which is not in the interests of the taxpayer.
  • Mikeyorks
    Mikeyorks Posts: 10,369 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Dewpoint wrote: »
    After reaching pensionable age in Dec 2011 I received a "Notice of Coding" change from the HMRC Office in Liverpool which reduced my tax-free income substantially and contained several errors .
    The other 'error' by HMRC is that the coding letter sent out when you are 64 (ie aged 65 during the following tax year) assumes a total income above £28930,
    despite having been on a pension of roughly £12,000 for the previous 2 years.

Easy way around both problems. Complete the P161 they issue just before State Pension age.
    If you want to test the depth of the water .........don't use both feet !
  • Dewpoint
    Dewpoint Posts: 144 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    edited 14 March 2012 at 1:33PM
    Options
    Mikeyorks wrote: »
    Easy way around both problems. Complete the P161 they issue just before State Pension age.
    Anything HMRC sends me to complete I do so - I'm very thorough when it comes to finance. But it seems there is nothing you can do to combat inefficiency and incompetence when it stems from a government department that appears to be accountable to no one.
    Even my MP, who confessed to me that he has received numerous complaints about HMRC, seems powerless to do anything about this continuing ineptitude.
  • Mikeyorks
    Mikeyorks Posts: 10,369 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    ....I'm very thorough when it comes to finance.

In which case you would be aware that if they don't issue a P161 .... you should request one.
    I will receive an estimated £5000+ in state pension for the year 2011/12

This comes from DWP, not HMRC. Hence the importance of the P161.
    If you want to test the depth of the water .........don't use both feet !
  • dampsquib
    dampsquib Posts: 179 Forumite
    Options
    After reaching pensionable age in Dec 2011 I received a "Notice of Coding" change from the HMRC Office in Liverpool which reduced my tax-free income substantially and contained several errors including one which stated that my code was being reduced because I will receive an estimated £5000+ in state pension for the year 2011/12, ie. a whole year's worth of state pension. Now anyone with a basic understanding of maths would be able to show that if a person turned 65 in Dec 2011 they wont receive a full year's pension by April 2012.

Actually .... that sounds correct to me! Due to the way the code number system works, they will have correctly included the equivalent of a full year's pension in your code, but should have also switched your code to be operated on a non-cumulative Month 1 Basis, which taxes each month is isolation and ignores what has happens in previous months. You would then have had roughly the correct amount deducted in January and subsequent months. However, if they forgot to switch you to Month 1 Basis, it would have resulted in a very very large deduction in January.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure