Water rebate

Options
Hi i received a phone call telling me i might be entitled to a rebate on my water bills, i asked them to send me something by email so i could look into it, anyway this is the email i got, just wondered if peeps would give me there opinion please ..........:cool:

Hello xxxxxxx,

[FONT=Arial, sans-serif]Please find contact details below for Nationwide Energy Services.
[FONT=Arial, sans-serif]As my colleague explained today; further to an in-depth investigation into operations within UK water companies recently, it has emerged that over 80% of households in the UK have been Unnecessarily paying their water companies an average of £50 service charge for the disposal of rain water. This has also been featured on Watchdog and the One show recently.

[FONT=Arial, sans-serif]Those who have been worst affected are those who use Soak a way's or Water Butts on their premises or those who use what are known as unadopted sewage systems. This means that the water company who charge them for the service have never had any responsibility for the maintenance of these watercourses and therefore have no right to charge users for their use. The total process, if successful costs £49.99 +VAT. We take the deposit in advance to cover the administration cost of the claim and if you are unsuccessful we will refund the full amount less a £9.99 admin fee.[/FONT]
We also look to claiming back the last 6 years charges and will immediately get this years charge deducted from your account.
[FONT=Arial, sans-serif]Then if your claim is successful you will be notified within 2 to 5 weeks. Our current Success rate is around 80%.[/FONT]
[FONT=Arial, sans-serif]I hope this is helpful to you and wish you all the best with your claim.[/FONT]
[FONT=Arial, sans-serif]Kindest regards[/FONT]
xxxxxxxx

Nationwide Energy Services & Fuelswitch.com
Matrix Alpha
Northern Boulevard
Matrix Park
Swansea Enterprise Park
Swansea

[/FONT][/FONT]

Comments

• Cardew
    Cardew Posts: 29,038 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Rampant Recycler
    Options
    What a con!

It is true that many properties are paying for Surface Water Drainage(SWD) when they do not need to pay that charge. This is the charge for rainwater that falls on your roof or garden. In some houses that water goes into the sewer system,(and the charge is valid) in others it doesn't - it goes into soakaways etc.

The amount charged varies accordinf to where you live and the type of house. For instance in Severn Trent are it is approx £28 pa for a flat/tce house, £56 for a semi, and £84 for detached.

Just ring your water company and ask for a claim form for relief from SWD.
  • Gothicfairy
    Gothicfairy Posts: 3,060 Forumite
    Options
    What a lot of .................

They are not able to claim back 6 years even if you have been incorrectly paying as it only goes back to the first of April of the year you claim. So in other words claim right now and you might get it back to 01.04.10
    You can claim yourself for free and it is super easy to do..Just send a drawing in to your water company showing where your rain water goes ( to include the down pipes) and a covering letter explaining what you want.
    You can also as Cardew rightly stated get a form as well but they will accept a letter (so that you can do it before 01.04.11)

Total rubbish but I guess it makes them rich
    There is a race of men that don't fit in; A race that can't stand still;
    So they break the hearts of kith and kin, and roam the world at will.

Robert Service
  • dormouse_2
    dormouse_2 Posts: 136 Forumite
    Options
    Thanks for the answers, hubby was taken in by it but then he's not a fellow mse'r ha, told im id check on ere 1st.....
  • Gothicfairy
    Gothicfairy Posts: 3,060 Forumite
    Options
    Thought I had better add for anyone else that comes to this thread :
    Water butts do NOT get you a rebate on SWD, 100% of ALL rain water must not return to the system and water butts just don't cut it I am afraid.
    Also there are very few unadopted systems left in the UK and most of those are being replaced already and are not charged for now as they don't show up on any of the water companies systems apart from GISST and that is not used in the front office billing dept
    There is a race of men that don't fit in; A race that can't stand still;
    So they break the hearts of kith and kin, and roam the world at will.

Robert Service
  • treasuretiger
    Options
    dormouse wrote: »
    Hi i received a phone call telling me i might be entitled to a rebate on my water bills, i asked them to send me something by email so i could look into it, anyway this is the email i got, just wondered if peeps would give me there opinion please ..........:cool:

Hello xxxxxxx,

[FONT=Arial, sans-serif]Please find contact details below for Nationwide Energy Services.
    [FONT=Arial, sans-serif]As my colleague explained today; further to an in-depth investigation into operations within UK water companies recently, it has emerged that over 80% of households in the UK have been Unnecessarily paying their water companies an average of £50 service charge for the disposal of rain water. This has also been featured on Watchdog and the One show recently.

[FONT=Arial, sans-serif]Those who have been worst affected are those who use Soak a way's or Water Butts on their premises or those who use what are known as unadopted sewage systems. This means that the water company who charge them for the service have never had any responsibility for the maintenance of these watercourses and therefore have no right to charge users for their use. The total process, if successful costs £49.99 +VAT. We take the deposit in advance to cover the administration cost of the claim and if you are unsuccessful we will refund the full amount less a £9.99 admin fee.[/FONT]
    We also look to claiming back the last 6 years charges and will immediately get this years charge deducted from your account.
    [FONT=Arial, sans-serif]Then if your claim is successful you will be notified within 2 to 5 weeks. Our current Success rate is around 80%.[/FONT]
    [FONT=Arial, sans-serif]I hope this is helpful to you and wish you all the best with your claim.[/FONT]
    [FONT=Arial, sans-serif]Kindest regards[/FONT]
    xxxxxxxx

Nationwide Energy Services & Fuelswitch.com
    Matrix Alpha
    Northern Boulevard
    Matrix Park
    Swansea Enterprise Park
    Swansea

[/FONT][/FONT]

indeed a con. dont give them any of your details. the only people who can organise any kinda rebate is the water company themselves and THEY do the assessing not these con artists. i work for a water company and this looks like one of con things they emailed round about. theres another thread here as well like this but the guy called at the door. the water company wont be affiliated with the company in any way and would advise not to give these people any details at all.
  • Jekis46
    Options
    I agree with the post above, I also heard from a friend is.
  • sirmarcus
    sirmarcus Posts: 1,381 Forumite
    Options
    Thanks for the above.

I have just had a phone call from this company giving me a long and great talk on getting a water rebate. I didn't pay them anything. Just said that I needed to do my research on the net before agreeing to anything and I then find this thread.

I just have one query. If I now contact my water company and they agree that I shouldn't be paying for a service that they aren't providing, I assume that my subsequent water bills will be reduced accordingly ?

Thanks
  • sirmarcus
    sirmarcus Posts: 1,381 Forumite
    Options
    Just found out the answer myself by going onto my water company's website where they confirm that subsequent water bills will be adjusted accordingly.

I'm also going to send an email to Watchdog as this company are clearly conning people.
  • K9sandFelines
    K9sandFelines Posts: 2,577 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic Combo Breaker
    Options
    They asked me to answer a few generic questions, address details, contact phone number and if i have the internet etc etc. No bank details or anything ( not that i would anyway). However i signed a form consenting to a phonecall about this so called rebate thinking it was genuine; but at the same time wondered why i hadn't heard about this before. So i take it i should ignore the call or just say i don't want to pursue any so called claim?
    GC £150 a month for food, toiletries and cleaning Jan £134.58 Feb £137.18 Mar £118.89 April £
    Forever learning the art of frugality
  • t0rt0ise
    t0rt0ise Posts: 4,285 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Unfortunately they have their fingers in a lot of pies so now you've given them your phone number they'll be calling about other things. But you should never buy anything including this sort of service from door stop sellers or phone cold callers. If it sounds interesting, listen to them, say no thank you and then go look it up on the internet.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.6K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.2K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure