We've changed the name of this board from 'Greenfingered MoneySaving' to simply 'Gardening'. This is to help make it easier to find for the horticulturally inclined. The URL remains unchanged for the time being, so all links to the board are unaffected.
🗳️ ELECTION 2024: THE MSE LEADERS' DEBATE Got a burning question you want us to ask the party leaders ahead of the general election? Submit your suggestions via this form or post them on our dedicated Forum board where you can see and upvote other users' questions. Please note that the Forum's rules on avoiding general political discussion still apply across all boards.

The Ultimate Herb Garden?

Options
Rummer
Rummer Posts: 6,550 Forumite
First Post First Anniversary
Hello!

It is that time of year again when I have cleared my herb garden and I am now deciding what to grow for the coming season. Currently in my herb plot I have some thyme, chives and mint.

I am keen to plant some perennial herbs and ones that attract bees to the garden. Some may say grow the ones that you will use in cooking however we have not really used any other than the ones above and basil which we grow indoors.

Any suggestions of types or recommended suppliers would be great!
Taking responsibility one penny at a time!

Comments

• VJsmum
    VJsmum Posts: 6,970 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    Rosemary is always nice, easy to do from a cutting so I'm told.
    I wanna be in the room where it happens
  • tilly_willow
    Options
    The bees seem to love my sage (grew it from seed), and you could argue that lavender is a herb and if that doesn't get the bees going nothing will :)
  • officeguru
    officeguru Posts: 725 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    edited 27 March 2011 at 9:51PM
    Options
    Hi

Perennials:

I would definitely add lavender.... French lavender is not as hardy... but I have english lavender and it survived last year's winter, which is really saying something... The bees love it.... beautiful smell and you can use it for cooking... It's beautiful on lamb.... What about golden oregano...I hate the taste of the stuff.... although I think 90% of pizzas bought in Britain has it in them.... but it is a very pretty and easily kept plant... Don't forget sage.... Use it for cooking, brilliant for sore throats... My life wouldn't be the same without rosemary...

For something different, I bought a little tray of living plants from lidl last year, which were a selection of herbs for indian cooking... like a curry plant... etc etc.. it was definitely something different, so you could maybe keep an eye out this year...

Hope this helps

Sorry, I was interrupted by a phone call and by the time I posted it.. I noticed that some others had answered your questions....
  • Kyrae
    Kyrae Posts: 541 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    I love growing herbs! I grow mine in a patch with other plants that were once traditionally used for healing, like feverfew, bergamot, borage, comfrey, echinacea, fennel, chamomile, valerian, lemon balm, etc. They seem to attract lots of insects and bees, and useful for making natural remedies too! I recommend Naturescape as a supplier, bought multiple times from them and always happy! :)
  • Rummer
    Rummer Posts: 6,550 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Kyrae wrote: »
    I love growing herbs! I grow mine in a patch with other plants that were once traditionally used for healing, like feverfew, bergamot, borage, comfrey, echinacea, fennel, chamomile, valerian, lemon balm, etc. They seem to attract lots of insects and bees, and useful for making natural remedies too! I recommend Naturescape as a supplier, bought multiple times from them and always happy! :)

That has really inspired me! I really like the idea of growing traditional plants with healing properties!
    Taking responsibility one penny at a time!
  • LJM
    LJM Posts: 4,535 Forumite
    Options
    i would definately say lavender for me it is just the smell of summer, i also love chives and basil and mint
    :xmastree:Is loving life right now,yes I am a soppy fool who believes in the simple things in life :xmastree:
  • rygon
    rygon Posts: 748 Forumite
    Options
    What about different mints. I use peppermint quite a bit as i have a bad stomach and that certainly helps. Nice infused with different mints as well.
    Rosemary is great to grow as well, always use it in my cooking and very easy to maintain
    Smile and be happy, things can usually get worse!
  • Orange_King
    Options
    I love Mint but it is such an invader! I would try to restrict it in the herb patch as best you can. I ended up lifting most of mine from its original location thinking I got the lot only to realise it had sprouted on the other side of the fence in the neighbours garden and it is now out of control!

Basil is my other fav but never had home grown success and usually have to buy a plant. Any tips appreciated!
  • Willow92
    Willow92 Posts: 2,186 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    I'd love to grow some herbs but I have no money at the moment. I used to have a basil plant in the window sill. Can you keep many herbs indoors?
    Savings £8,865.22 £/15,000 Aiming to save enough for a house deposit.
  • Antispam
    Antispam Posts: 6,636 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Yes you can even buy herbs to grown in containers for around £1 @Poundland or buy herbs already grown to grow indoors at Morrisons.
    Willow92 wrote: »
    I'd love to grow some herbs but I have no money at the moment. I used to have a basil plant in the window sill. Can you keep many herbs indoors?
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 8 Election 2024: The MSE Leaders' Debate
  • 343.9K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.3K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450K Spending & Discounts
  • 236K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.2K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.4K Life & Family
  • 248.6K Travel & Transport