No more "Martin logos" for Red Nose Day, St. David's Day and more due to Google? blog

Comments

• mkaibear
    mkaibear Posts: 162 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    It's a US patent. It's not valid over here and will not be granted over here (the US have some *weird* patent rules).

MSE is registered in Australia (for some reason - Melbourne IT? really?) and hosted in the UK, owned by a UK national (via a UK Ltd company). US patents do not apply.

I find it bizarre to think that your legal department would suggest that it would be "limited" impact as opposed to "no impact at all"...
  • Errata
    Errata Posts: 38,230 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker
    I was going to throw him a party, but he'd only try and get out of it.
    Probably just as well, he'll probably be quite stinky by now. But ....... any excuse for a party, eh?:D
    .................:)....I'm smiling because I have no idea what's going on ...:)
  • halibut2209
    halibut2209 Posts: 4,248 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    I know! Buried in a box underground for 80 odd years. I think he's taking this latest stunt a little too far.
    One important thing to remember is that when you get to the end of this sentence, you'll realise it's just my sig.
  • katthehat
    katthehat Posts: 1,046 Forumite
    :mad:

Don't mess with Martin :money:
    Kat :money:
  • Reaper
    Reaper Posts: 7,279 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Photogenic
    edited 24 March 2011 at 6:21PM
    How long does it take your lawyer to say it is a US patent and therefore doesn't apply over here? On the other hand I guess you are paying him by the hour...

Anyway the US patent office is renowed for issuing patents without checking them which have no chance of ever being successfully enforced by the courts.

A point in case is the patent granted for a crustless sandwich!
  • ooh well if they have to go I for one will be sad. They have become a bit like the changing of the seasons - a marker to the year jogging along. Winter, spring, summer and fall.;)
  • MothballsWallet
    MothballsWallet Posts: 15,852 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Photogenic
    I'm surprised that Google hasn't lodged a patent for pencil and paper yet...

I just hope a Yankee patent won't affect MSE in the UK, but I don't know a lot about international patent law, except international law seems to be biased towards America, sadly :(
  • MrsBartolozzi
    MrsBartolozzi Posts: 6,358 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker I've been Money Tipped!
    I've been with AOL for years and years (no comments please!) and every US holiday they change the home page's decor to match the season and have done so since before google did it. It's not like google invented the concept so how could they patent it?!! The mind boggles.

It's only a game
    ~*~*~ We're only here to dream ~*~*~
  • RedCardinal
    RedCardinal Posts: 3,166 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    if it were true we would have to launch a campaign to stop using Google as a search engine as punishment!:D
  • dinx1972
    dinx1972 Posts: 1,885 Forumite
    Debt-free and Proud!
    Oh, I hope the changing logo photos stay they really brighten up the day!

Some do provide a vital service - if it wasn't for the logo change reminding me of BST time changes, it would never happen in our house as I never seem to leave the MSE website!!!!:eek::rotfl:
    :j DEBT FREE FROM 01/01/11 :j
    Declutter 2012 - 191, 2013 - 26
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.1K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family