No more "Martin logos" for Red Nose Day, St. David's Day and more due to Google? blog

Comments

• meher
    meher Posts: 15,910 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    May be they are treating it like a template for instance; but I didn't know that they were such ego centrists.
  • ZTD
    ZTD Posts: 24,327 Forumite
    Decorian wrote: »
    I like the seasonal Martin's logos, they should stick around.

Surely you can use the "Prior Art" argument. You've been doing it for years before the patent was filed, and therefore either the patent is not valid, or you have an exemption from it.
    I am not a lawyer (I'm a physicist) so obviously don't take my word for it, but i thought something that was already common practice is not allowed to be patented.

It is (IIRC) under European patent law that the first person to have the idea (documented) ends up with the patent. Under US law, it's the first person to file the patent that ends up with the patent.

It's a US patent, so it has no validity in the EU.

I would have thought prior art would have stopped it from being granted, but the US patent office has a spectacularly poor record in that department.

Just about every website I've ever seen puts snow on their logo at Christmas.
    "Follow the money!" - Deepthroat (AKA William Mark Felt Sr - Associate Director of the FBI)
    "We were born and raised in a summer haze." Adele 'Someone like you.'
    "Blowing your mind, 'cause you know what you'll find, when you're looking for things in the sky."
    OMD 'Julia's Song'
  • ElkyElky
    ElkyElky Posts: 2,459 Forumite
    I'd tell Google they can shove their patent where the moon shines bright.

Anyway, when violating a patent, you usually get a cease and desist letter allowing you time to make any changes that no longer violated the said patent. It would be perfectly fine to continue with whatever logo alterations you want to make, if you did get a cease and desist letter then you just stop. They would only take further action if you continued with the blatant violation.
    We’ve had to remove your signature. Please check the Forum Rules if you’re unsure why it’s been removed and, if still unsure, email forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com
  • Errata
    Errata Posts: 38,230 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker
    Google seems intent on world domination. What next - pay per goggle?
    Today google has informed me it's Harry Houdini's 137th birthday, my life is now complete !
    .................:)....I'm smiling because I have no idea what's going on ...:)
  • Sagz_2
    Sagz_2 Posts: 6,251 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    'kin stupid!
    Some days you're the dog..... most days you're the tree! :D
  • KimYeovil
    KimYeovil Posts: 6,156 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Wish to stress it is the US Patent Office and not Google that are the miscreants.
  • System
    System Posts: 178,092 Community Admin
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    How ridiculous! :mad: I hope Martin an continue to have the fun logos
  • spugzbunny
    spugzbunny Posts: 1,235 Forumite
    In Soviet Google our logos patent you.
    House saving Targets:
    £17,700 / £20,000
  • halibut2209
    halibut2209 Posts: 4,248 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Errata wrote: »
    Google seems intent on world domination. What next - pay per goggle?
    Today google has informed me it's Harry Houdini's 137th birthday, my life is now complete !

I was going to throw him a party, but he'd only try and get out of it.
    One important thing to remember is that when you get to the end of this sentence, you'll realise it's just my sig.
  • ehlo
    ehlo Posts: 397 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    As previously stated, I don't see how a US patent could really affect this site. However if it did I find it hard to believe that nobody else has prior art.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure