MSE News: Budget 2011: Beer and cigarette prices to jump

edited 30 November -1 at 1:00AM in Food Shopping & Groceries
33 replies 8.9K views

Replies

• DerivativeDerivative Forumite
    1.7K Posts
    Storck wrote: »
    If everyone stopped smoking today then an extra £10 billion would have to be found each year to replace the tax revenue, if not more.

There would be no savings on the NHS for a number of years due to people already been smoking.

So where would you find the extra £10 billion from, more cuts or putting up tax on things like booze and fuel?

"If everyone stopped .... today" is not a realistic situation, is it?
    If the taxes on tobacco, alcohol were raised at twice inflation people would slowly be priced out. No sudden "oh !!!!, where does the money come from" situation.

It's not all monetary, how about the replacement of smokers inside restaurants with a smoke-wall outside?
    Said Aristippus, “If you would learn to be subservient to the king you would not have to live on lentils.”
    Said Diogenes, “Learn to live on lentils and you will not have to be subservient to the king.”[FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica][/FONT]
  • ashleyriot wrote: »
    You sound like you really want to stop and that you are frustrated that you can't. You also say you have tried to stop but everything has failed so far.

I hope I can offer you one last way out by purchasing a book by Allen Carr called, "The Easyway to Stop Smoking"

If you're in the frame of mind of wanting to stop then this book will work for you - read it through, carry on smoking whilst you read it and by the end you will be ready to stop - I tried the whole patches thing but really, it's not the addiction to nicotine that is the problem (your body overcomes the addiction in ~3 weeks), it's the brainwashing of cigarettes in society still - that's the hard part and Allen makes it really easy.

FYI, Allen smoked 60 cigarettes a day and went from that to 0 in one day. He never smoked again.

This system also worked for me, went from 30 a day to 0, with no withdrawal. 7 years ago.
    Forget the cost, smoking is a millstone around your neck that you can get rid of easier than you think.
    The book will explain why your belief that you need to smoke is invalid.
  • BambywambyBambywamby Forumite
    1.6K Posts
    ✭✭✭
    ashleyriot wrote: »
    You sound like you really want to stop and that you are frustrated that you can't. You also say you have tried to stop but everything has failed so far.

I hope I can offer you one last way out by purchasing a book by Allen Carr called, "The Easyway to Stop Smoking"

If you're in the frame of mind of wanting to stop then this book will work for you - read it through, carry on smoking whilst you read it and by the end you will be ready to stop - I tried the whole patches thing but really, it's not the addiction to nicotine that is the problem (your body overcomes the addiction in ~3 weeks), it's the brainwashing of cigarettes in society still - that's the hard part and Allen makes it really easy.

FYI, Allen smoked 60 cigarettes a day and went from that to 0 in one day. He never smoked again.

Just to pipe in - my mum (40 cigs a day for 40 years) read Allen Carrs Easyway to Stop Smoking and quit within two weeks. It wasn't easy (nothing as addictive will ever be easy to quit) but it is doable. Also if you search Google, this book is a free Ebook on some sites.

Nevermind about the money spent, the fact it smells foul, makes your teeth yellow and gives you skin like a chamois leather...it will ultimately kill you prematurely and it will probably be a long, painful drawn out death. So above all else, love yourself enough to think about seriously stopping and then do it! YOU CAN.:kisses3:
    *Frugal Living 2015* *Not Buying It 2015*
    "Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things you didn't do than the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from safe harbour. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover." ~ MARK TWAIN

27/50
  • davidgmmafandavidgmmafan Forumite
    1.5K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Combo Breaker
    ✭✭✭
    There is an issue though isn't there. They say tax smokers it'll help them to quit and fund services. Same for petrol ,if it costs more it'll put people off, and fund services.

So if they all stop, or even decline markedly what then? Can't have it both ways.

Isn't anyone troubled that its perfectly possible to go abroad, buy cheap fags and make a profit on the holiday? They bemoan the revenue lost to the treausry, yet it is the high prices which make this viable.

Its a bit like insurance companies moaning about increasing numbers of uninsured dirvers whilst continued to increase premiums...
    Mixed Martial Arts is the greatest sport known to mankind and anyone who says it is 'a bar room brawl' has never trained in it and has no idea what they are talking about.
  • ConsumeristConsumerist Forumite
    5.8K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭
    The UK government can ramp up the price of tobacco and booze till the cows come home as far as I am concerned. I get those things on a booze cruise to Belgium. The irony is that the UK exchequer doesn't get a penny of tax on those things just because it's so greedy.
    >:)Warning: In the kingdom of the blind, the one-eyed man is king.
  • ElkyElkyElkyElky Forumite
    2.5K Posts
    I have tried to quit countless times, I have tried everything sometimes twice, before you say just quit smoking, it's not as simple as that, I hate smoking I really do, they could put them up £10 a packet and I would still have to smoke. I am kept sane by having my 20 a day, believe me I would cost the NHS & other services FAR more if I didn't have my fags.

Champix! [10 chars]
    We’ve had to remove your signature. Please check the Forum Rules if you’re unsure why it’s been removed and, if still unsure, email [email protected]
  • geordie_joegeordie_joe Forumite
    9.1K Posts
    1,000 Posts Combo Breaker
    ✭✭✭✭
    ElkyElky wrote: »
    Champix! [10 chars]

TOTALLY AGREE

But one of the side effects is committing suicide, but nobody that ever succeeded in committing suicide ever continued smoking.

Well apart from an old GF's dad, he poured 3 gallons of petrol on himself and lit a match. They say he smoked for hours after he was dead.
    DPJames wrote: »
    You are never wrong about anything.
  • ashleyriot wrote: »

Don't you just love it when a new poster's very first post is to recommend something to us? In this case his (sorry, Allen Carr's) book. Yep, must rush out and buy it!
  • geordie_joegeordie_joe Forumite
    9.1K Posts
    1,000 Posts Combo Breaker
    ✭✭✭✭
    Don't you just love it when a new poster's very first post is to recommend something to us? In this case his (sorry, Allen Carr's) book. Yep, must rush out and buy it!

Actually, I think you are wrong on this occasion. I have a copy of the book and it's very good, I would recommend it to anyone who want's to quit smoking.

If you search the whole forum for "Allen Carr" you'll find many people raving about how good the book is. Most people who read it go on to tell others about it, so it's no surprise to see someone recommending it on here, even a first time poster.
    DPJames wrote: »
    You are never wrong about anything.
  • jsk64jsk64 Forumite
    2 Posts
    Well i am a smoker and have been for a number of years now , and yes i could have prob bought a mansion or some small island if i had saved the money . But like most things in life it comes down to a choice . I dont begrudge anyone driving a gas guzzling motor or anyone liking a few beers or anyone eating a few too many pies . What i do begrudge is this rip off country taxing us working class to the hilt . This country must now be the laughing stock of europe if not the world , no wonder its called the united kingdom and not great britain . I am ashamed to be born and live in this country . Hopefully with the money i save from quitting smoking i can leave this god forsaken place .
This discussion has been closed.
Latest MSE News and Guides

A guide to council tax bands

Lower your band & save £1,000s

MSE Guides

Cinema MoneySaving tips & tricks

Including year's 2for1 movies for £1

MSE Deals