MSE News: Budget 2011: Beer and cigarette prices to jump

This is the discussion thread for the following MSE News Story:

"The cost of alcohol and fags will rise after the Chancellor confirmed he will implement pre-arranged rises in duties ..."

Comments

• Derivative
    Derivative Posts: 1,698 Forumite
    All I can say is - good.

Tax cigarettes and alcohol into oblivion. Those that drink every now and then are hardly affected, those that make it a lifestyle choice and drive up the costs of the NHS get their comeuppance.
    Said Aristippus, “If you would learn to be subservient to the king you would not have to live on lentils.”
    Said Diogenes, “Learn to live on lentils and you will not have to be subservient to the king.”[FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica][/FONT]
  • EdgEy wrote: »
    All I can say is - good.

Tax cigarettes and alcohol into oblivion. Those that drink every now and then are hardly affected, those that make it a lifestyle choice and drive up the costs of the NHS get their comeuppance.

Yeah, no impact whatever on me I don't smoke and I can make a bottle of spirits last a decade.
  • geordie_joe
    geordie_joe Posts: 9,112 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    EdgEy wrote: »
    All I can say is - good.

The problem is, the government gets more in taxes on those products than it spends on treating the effects of them.

If they tax them into oblivion it will have to increase the tax on fuel to make up for the tax it will lose.
  • pretzelnut
    pretzelnut Posts: 4,301 Forumite
    The problem is, the government gets more in taxes on those products than it spends on treating the effects of them.

If they tax them into oblivion it will have to increase the tax on fuel to make up for the tax it will lose.

I lead a very simple life, don't drink, don't do a lot of many things, have never committed a crime or put a strain on any other government run resources, never been a benefit sponger but I do smoke, it's my 1 vice.

50p per 20 is ridiculous, I really don't see why us smokers should take such a hit. I guess it's because we're an easy target, it's not like driving where you can sell your car and bike or bus it to save money. It's not like beer where you can choose to stay in instead of going out.

I have tried to quit countless times, I have tried everything sometimes twice, before you say just quit smoking, it's not as simple as that, I hate smoking I really do, they could put them up £10 a packet and I would still have to smoke. I am kept sane by having my 20 a day, believe me I would cost the NHS & other services FAR more if I didn't have my fags.

Have they taxed the gamblers as much?

They'll run out of things to tax soon, and before we know it drugs will be legalised and taxed.
    :TIs thankful to those who have shared their :T
    :T fortune with those less fortunate :T
    :T than themselves - you know who you are!
    :T
  • Storck
    Storck Posts: 1,890 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    I don't drive, use my bike, so as far as I am concerned they can push up car tax and petrol tax for all private cars.

Now that is as stupid an idea as some of the other comments on here.
    If you find you are drinking too much give this number a call. 0845 769 7555
  • Derivative
    Derivative Posts: 1,698 Forumite
    50p per 20 is ridiculous, I really don't see why us smokers should take such a hit. I guess it's because we're an easy target, it's not like driving where you can sell your car and bike or bus it to save money. It's not like beer where you can choose to stay in instead of going out.

No, it's not like driving. It's more like watching TV, where you can choose to do absolutely nothing for free. Give over, people can and do quit smoking and your lack of willpower is not a problem for anyone else to solve.
    I don't drive, use my bike, so as far as I am concerned they can push up car tax and petrol tax for all private cars.

Now that is as stupid an idea as some of the other comments on here.

If there were a way to exclude people who actually required use of their car, such as those in rural areas and the disabled, I would be all for this. Could you elaborate on why saving oil for essential commercial usage is a "stupid" idea?
    Said Aristippus, “If you would learn to be subservient to the king you would not have to live on lentils.”
    Said Diogenes, “Learn to live on lentils and you will not have to be subservient to the king.”[FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica][/FONT]
  • geordie_joe
    geordie_joe Posts: 9,112 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    No, it's not like driving. It's more like watching TV, where you can choose to do absolutely nothing for free.

Actually it's not, smoking is an addiction, just like any other. It's not as simple as just choosing not to do it.
    Give over, people can and do quit smoking and your lack of willpower is not a problem for anyone else to solve.

But a far greater number can't and don't quit. Putting down a smoker because they can't quit is no different to putting down those who died in the war because many people didn't.
    If there were a way to exclude people who actually required use of their car, such as those in rural areas and the disabled, I would be all for this.

The problem is defining what is "required". I hear many people claiming they "need" their car, but when I hear the reason why they need it I don't think it's valid.

Could you elaborate on why saving oil for essential commercial usage is a "stupid" idea?

I think that was a flippant remark.
  • johncas1
    johncas1 Posts: 172 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post

Your not being forced to smoke my sister quit why can't you there is plenty of quit smoking stuff out there I hope fags do go to £10 a pack or more as when you end up in hospital with lung cancer in hospital it's my dad or other nurses who has to look after you and who pays for the nhs we all do and my friend who quit saved £3000 thats 3 grand a year think what you could do with that
  • johncas1
    johncas1 Posts: 172 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    I thought fuel was down 1p a litre my tescos petrol station knows nothing about it and was not cutting prices whats going no they actually put up diesel by 1p
  • DCFC79
    DCFC79 Posts: 40,598 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post

The problem is defining what is "required". I hear many people claiming they "need" their car, but when I hear the reason why they need it I don't think it's valid.

well i need my car to get to work, using a bus is out of the question due to the length of time it would take to get to where i want to go plus id end up getting home later than if i went by car so i end up losing out, i am actually looking for a job closer to home so i can cut cost of petrol but not much luck so far
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure