MSE News: Budget 2011: Beer and cigarette prices to jump

edited 30 November -1 at 1:00AM in Food Shopping & Groceries
33 replies 8.9K views
24

Replies

  • geordie_joegeordie_joe Forumite
    9.1K Posts
    1,000 Posts Combo Breaker
    ✭✭✭✭
    johncas1 wrote: »
    I thought fuel was down 1p a litre my tescos petrol station knows nothing about it and was not cutting prices whats going no they actually put up diesel by 1p

    They didn't put the price of fuel down by 1p, they reduced the the tax on fuel by 1p. Then the increased the tax they charge the fuel companies to make up the money.

    What do you think the fuel companies are going to do now they have to pay 1p per litre more tax?......................

    That;'s right, they are going to increase the price of fuel by 1p per litre so you are paying for their tax increase.

    All that has happened is the government has stopped taking 1p from you, and started taking 1p from the fuel company, and the fuel company has started taking another 1p from you to make up for the extra 1p they are giving to the government.
    DPJames wrote: »
    You are never wrong about anything.
  • geordie_joegeordie_joe Forumite
    9.1K Posts
    1,000 Posts Combo Breaker
    ✭✭✭✭
    johncas1 wrote: »
    when you end up in hospital with lung cancer in hospital it's my dad or other nurses who has to look after you and who pays for the nhs we all do

    The nhs is paid for by tax payers, not NI payers as you may think. Tobacco buyers pay more tax than almost any other purchaser. If people didn't buy tobacco product there is a very real chance your dad would be out of a job.

    Because there would be a lot less money available to pay health workers, and a lot less ill people needing health workers.
    johncas1 wrote: »
    and my friend who quit saved £3000 thats 3 grand a year think what you could do with that

    So how much tax has the government lost because he/she isn't paying tobacco duty? Multiple that by the number of people who quit smoking, then work out how much the NHS lost because of it, and how many NHS workers lost their jobs.

    I'm sorry, but working in the health service and complaining about smokers is like being a road sweeper and complaining about people dropping litter.

    If they didn't drop litter you wouldn't have a job.
    DPJames wrote: »
    You are never wrong about anything.
  • pretzelnutpretzelnut Forumite
    4.3K Posts
    johncas1 wrote: »
    Your not being forced to smoke my sister quit why can't you there is plenty of quit smoking stuff out there I hope fags do go to £10 a pack or more as when you end up in hospital with lung cancer in hospital it's my dad or other nurses who has to look after you and who pays for the nhs we all do and my friend who quit saved £3000 thats 3 grand a year think what you could do with that

    Still don't see why smokers should be single out, especially when it's: the binge drinkers,
    drunken idiots who end up fighting & causing damage and spending a night in the cell and who get a poxy £60 fine,
    carer criminals,
    who seem to be costing the NHS / police and other services FAR more money at the minute.

    I would like to see the career criminals being charged higher fines, they don't seem to be discouraged from costing tax payers a fortune as they get let off so lightly these days. Crimainals get all sorts of luxuries in prison, that needs to stop too, sod their so called human rights, when your imprisoned for a crime you have none.

    On a plus side cigarettes cost so much now that the price should put anyone off starting so in 40ish years time, there will be very few smokers, then where will they get their tax from.
    :TIs thankful to those who have shared their :T
    :T fortune with those less fortunate :T
    :T than themselves - you know who you are!:T
  • davidgmmafandavidgmmafan Forumite
    1.5K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Combo Breaker
    ✭✭✭
    At the risk of trying to say something constructive won't this just lead to yet more smuggling of illegal tobacco? I want to make it clear that I am NOT advocating this, however it is simply a fact that this is already a big problem. Well unless the adverts I see on tv and beer mats are just government scaremongering?

    Alcohol I'm less torn on. On the one hand some people seem to go out and get wasted no matter what the cost, its not uncommon for certain pubs to put prices up on a weekend. However on the other hand I do think a lot of concern about so called cut price booze is ill informed. When they say things like own brand lager from supermarkets is SO CHEAP they fail to mention the reason why many people never touch it - its awful!

    I don't know if the rate of pub closures has slowed any, I guess more pubs are just going to follow the Weatherspoon's model of having lots of outlets which make a modest profit individually.
    Mixed Martial Arts is the greatest sport known to mankind and anyone who says it is 'a bar room brawl' has never trained in it and has no idea what they are talking about.
  • EdgEy wrote: »
    If there were a way to exclude people who actually required use of their car, such as those in rural areas and the disabled, I would be all for this.
    I live in a rural area & am disabled but I get by perfectly well without a car. I admit I do have a concessionary bus pass however the bus service here is appalling but because it is a rural area the local council choose not to invest in improving the service.
    The nhs is paid for by tax payers, not NI payers as you may think. Tobacco buyers pay more tax than almost any other purchaser.
    To expand on your comment....
    The number of smokers goes down every year yet the tax generated continues to increase steadily. Last year the tax revenue from tobacco products was £10.5 billion according to the figures published on the TMA website. The cost of treating smoking related illnesses seems to vary drastically every time an estimate is published but £2.7 billion seems to be the most popular figure & you also need to bear in mind that half the people who require treatment for these illnesses don't actually smoke they just happen to have an illness associated with smoking so the true figure will be significantly lower but that point aside the smokers have already paid in roughly 4 times as much extra tax as it cost the NHS for the treatment. The majority of smokers will end up dying younger too so there will be no need to provide care for age related conditions such as arthritis, dementia etc... & less pensions to pay out & less housing/social care to provide.

    If I want to smoke that is my choice & I am paying significantly more for it than my choice to smoke will cost anyone else.
  • DerivativeDerivative Forumite
    1.7K Posts
    Actually it's not, smoking is an addiction, just like any other. It's not as simple as just choosing not to do it.

    Heroin addiction is an example of something where stopping could cause more problems than going on proper rehab. Cigarettes can be quit cold turkey - to deny it would be to ignore evidence to the contrary. As bad as cravings may be, unless you're sleep smoking you make a conscious decision to pick up a fag.
    But a far greater number can't and don't quit. Putting down a smoker because they can't quit is no different to putting down those who died in the war because many people didn't.

    I don't know where to begin with this. It makes no logical sense. It's almost as if you took two random situations.
    The problem is defining what is "required". I hear many people claiming they "need" their car, but when I hear the reason why they need it I don't think it's valid.

    And a lot of the time, it isn't. There are plenty of people who require cars. The majority of people have a car to travel 5 miles inner city to the shops and to work.
    I think that was a flippant remark.

    It's honestly not. The problem with a 95% personal petrol tax is that it would need to be unilateral to work. America's not going to tax gasoline any time soon.
    Said Aristippus, “If you would learn to be subservient to the king you would not have to live on lentils.”
    Said Diogenes, “Learn to live on lentils and you will not have to be subservient to the king.”[FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica][/FONT]
  • DerivativeDerivative Forumite
    1.7K Posts
    I live in a rural area & am disabled but I get by perfectly well without a car. I admit I do have a concessionary bus pass however the bus service here is appalling but because it is a rural area the local council choose not to invest in improving the service.

    Good for you! I hope you have luck with the council at some point, I believe public transport is one of the best investments a local council can find.
    The number of smokers goes down every year yet the tax generated continues to increase steadily. Last year the tax revenue from tobacco products was £10.5 billion according to the figures published on the TMA website. The cost of treating smoking related illnesses seems to vary drastically every time an estimate is published but £2.7 billion

    This is interesting and I didn't know there was such a disparity. Still - It's all about populism. And I think the tide is turning towards smokers now, most people aren't a big fan of the 'smoke wall' outside pubs for example.

    Personal freedom arguments are all good and well, but we have bans on light drugs - the argument against cannabis for example is basically the same as tobacco, less productivity (what?). I reckon we could do with legalizing some currently controlled substances and taxing them out of the !!!!, take some money out of organized crime's hands and stick it in the Government's coffers.
    Said Aristippus, “If you would learn to be subservient to the king you would not have to live on lentils.”
    Said Diogenes, “Learn to live on lentils and you will not have to be subservient to the king.”[FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica][/FONT]
  • ashleyriotashleyriot Forumite
    89 Posts
    Ninth Anniversary Combo Breaker Debt-free and Proud!
    I lead a very simple life, don't drink, don't do a lot of many things, have never committed a crime or put a strain on any other government run resources, never been a benefit sponger but I do smoke, it's my 1 vice.

    50p per 20 is ridiculous, I really don't see why us smokers should take such a hit. I guess it's because we're an easy target, it's not like driving where you can sell your car and bike or bus it to save money. It's not like beer where you can choose to stay in instead of going out.

    I have tried to quit countless times, I have tried everything sometimes twice, before you say just quit smoking, it's not as simple as that, I hate smoking I really do, they could put them up £10 a packet and I would still have to smoke. I am kept sane by having my 20 a day, believe me I would cost the NHS & other services FAR more if I didn't have my fags.

    Have they taxed the gamblers as much?

    They'll run out of things to tax soon, and before we know it drugs will be legalised and taxed.

    You sound like you really want to stop and that you are frustrated that you can't. You also say you have tried to stop but everything has failed so far.

    I hope I can offer you one last way out by purchasing a book by Allen Carr called, "The Easyway to Stop Smoking"

    If you're in the frame of mind of wanting to stop then this book will work for you - read it through, carry on smoking whilst you read it and by the end you will be ready to stop - I tried the whole patches thing but really, it's not the addiction to nicotine that is the problem (your body overcomes the addiction in ~3 weeks), it's the brainwashing of cigarettes in society still - that's the hard part and Allen makes it really easy.

    FYI, Allen smoked 60 cigarettes a day and went from that to 0 in one day. He never smoked again.
  • If I want to smoke that is my choice & I am paying significantly more for it than my choice to smoke will cost anyone else.[/QUOTE]


    Your choice to smoke obviously has a large cost to others with passive smoking, litter, costs to NHS.

    I would prefer that the NHS had to be scaled back due to lack of smokers however realistically that would not be the case.

    Smoking is a lifestyle choice as is obesity.

    Lets tax it to oblivion.
  • StorckStorck Forumite
    1.9K Posts
    Tenth Anniversary Combo Breaker
    ✭✭✭
    If everyone stopped smoking today then an extra £10 billion would have to be found each year to replace the tax revenue, if not more.

    There would be no savings on the NHS for a number of years due to people already been smoking.

    So where would you find the extra £10 billion from, more cuts or putting up tax on things like booze and fuel?
    If you find you are drinking too much give this number a call. 0845 769 7555
This discussion has been closed.
Latest MSE News and Guides

Students - apply for uni funding NOW

If you plan to get a place via 'clearing'

MSE News

A guide to council tax bands

Lower your band & save £1,000s

MSE Guides