Washer/dryer combi V separates

Options
Hi All,

At the moment I have a combi washer & dryer (no choice when we bought a new flat). Now we are moving and seller is taking her washing machine with her so a choice to make & hope you can help please!

Use dryer only for towels, bedding & underwear really.

Been told it is better to buy separates as efficiency is better for both washing & drying. For the amount we dry automatically is it worth it?

Do you have any recommendations for any appliances you have recently bought? Don't know where to start!!

No problems with space as separate room.

TIAFAH :)
It's great in here! :)

Comments

• Juicy_Tube
    Juicy_Tube Posts: 619 Forumite
    Options
    Does nobody have any help with this? Anybody bought new machines recently please?
  • mutley74
    mutley74 Posts: 4,022 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    we bought a new machien last year. first one was an ariston high spin machine..lost of features but a a part in the drum kept falling off...managed to change this to a hotpoint under currys replacement plan. Hot point machine is very good and seems reliable. My tips is to keep it simple i.e. do you really need all those extra options? And any machine with a spin upto about 1200 is okay. Although we have a 1400 spin, dont think there is a great difference on how 'wet' the clothes feel when taking them out. I find the simpler the betterm adn lesds likely to go wrong.
    Try house of frazer and other big department stores, as you may get an extended warranty for free. if you use a nationwide CC you get an extra years free.
  • wolvesinwales
    wolvesinwales Posts: 2,255 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    We had an Ariston combi thing years ago and we had the same trouble, clips that hold the heating element in place came free and were clanging round inside. It was an uneconomical repair due to the amount oftime to strip it down.
    WHOOOOSHHHHHHHHH……..
    Blimey what was that ?
    That was your life mate
    Oh I wasn’t quite ready can I have another go ?
    Sorry mate only one per person.
  • filigree_2
    filigree_2 Posts: 1,025 Forumite
    Options
    Which? Magazine strongly recommends not buying a combi washer/dryer.  Allegedly they do both jobs badly.

Having ignored their advice I bought a combi machine (small dirty child, no garden for drying) and regretted it.  They are more prone to breakdowns.  The drier has broken down completely and now all I have is a somewhat overpriced and inefficient washing machine.  Having gone some months without the drier I can honestly say it has made no difference as it hardly dried the clothes anyway.

My suggestion would be to get an energy efficient washing machine with a good spin speed.  Personally I wouldn't buy a tumble drier at all, but that's just my opinion.
  • Juicy_Tube
    Juicy_Tube Posts: 619 Forumite
    Options
    Thank you for your replies. I think most people I have asked have said buy separates. Just wanted your opinions as well.
    The combi we have now has been fine, no problems to report in 5 years. However, not so sure it washes and dries as efficiently as it could.
    Will go for separates. Now just need to find the right one!
    Thanks again all.

JT :)
  • Clarebear_Barton
    Options
    We have had 2 washer/dryer combis and had absolutely no complaints. First one was a whirlpool and lasted 9 years before anything went wrong. Second on is Hotpoint and is great. With 2 girls under 3, I do find having a combi one useful in winter, and we don't have space for a dryer in the house. It would have to go in the garage so would mean traipsing to the garage with wet washing!

Seems I am in the minority though in comparison with everyone else!
  • scouselass
    Options
    Hi, it case it is still worth a comment, here is what I have found when looking around.

I am just refitting my kitchen with all new appliances so I have done the rounds of the internet sites and shops etc when it comes to appliances.

Combi versus separates, I would say separates for convenience as you can be running both appliances at the same time - this will obviously depend on the wash loads that you have, but I often use both simultaneously.

When it comes to brand it seems that the germans are coming out well for quality, but their prices are higher than other brands. A good tip, is that bosch, neff and siemans are sister companies, and I have seen identical dishwashers by Bosch and Neff, but the price difference was £120!!! When you are looking at machines check out details like door fittings, soap powder draws, the inside of the machine etc......when these are identical, you wonder what else is?

As for the drier, I have gone for a 'gas drier' by White Knight, a British Company. they are much cheaper to run that electricity. check out a company called TDA who have a website, they supply the driers and are doing a very good prices on these.

If you want to push out the boat, well Miele and Siemans seems to be at the top of the tree, they also offer guarantees that range from 2 - 10 years depending on what spend, but it also conveys the confidence they have in their appliances.

Finally Suppliers, at the moment Boots and Sainsburys are both pushing appliances, at discounted prices, compared to the shops. With Boots you have to pay delivery of £20 per item, but their points are generous. At S'B it is £20 irrespective of how many appliances are ordered. I can't comment though on their quality of customer service, or getting the delivery right etc etc

I decided to run off a list from the internet and took it to a local company near where I live Whilst they couldn't match the low prices from the internet, they did give me a really good discount, and I know they won't mess up my order and I am safe with this, and delivery is key, so that it doesn't hinder the kitchen fitters.

Even if you don't buy from Boots or SB, their sites are very good for going through all the different brands and their prices. You can then make a list and go off to the shops to actually 'see the appliance', or do it the other way round. Good Luck with your search.
  • wage_slave_3
    Options
    after weeks and weeks of lurking, I registered, not as easy as it looks..........
    To answer your question, buy seperates if you have the space and depending on your budget buy Zanussi or Bosch. I'd go for Zanussi. Dont touch anything owned by Merloni, which includes Ariston, Indesit, Creda or Hotpoint ( Merloni have recently taken over the Hotpoint/Creda brand)
    Buy a decent washing machine( you really do get more for your money) and the cheapest tumble dryer you can get. I sell electrical goods for a living. Does this make me a bad person?
    A shadowy flight into the dangerous world of a man who does not exist.

A young loner on a crusade to champion the cause of the innocent,
    the helpless, the powerless, in a world of criminals who operate above the law.
  • cattie
    cattie Posts: 8,841 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    I have a Whirlpool washer/dryer which I've had for over 8yrs now without any problems whatsoever. I've been well happy with it's performance. :D
    The bigger the bargain, the better I feel.

I should mention that there's only one of me, don't confuse me with others of the same name.
  • wage_slave_3
    Options
    people assume, what they always had will always work, it isnt so, what made a decent washers 5 years ago doesnt possibly make them now, youve changed so have they
    A shadowy flight into the dangerous world of a man who does not exist.

A young loner on a crusade to champion the cause of the innocent,
    the helpless, the powerless, in a world of criminals who operate above the law.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.7K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure