Halfords Complaint - compensation?

Options
Hi all,

Just wondering if anyone can offer some advice on what I can expect by way of compensation for poor service.

On Saturday my boyfriend ordered a new car stereo on the Halfords website, he was advised that it was available at our local branch and that he could pick it up Sunday morning at 10am.

We went into the shop (30 mile round trip) and were advised that the only stereo available was the ex-demo model but they said they would fit this free of charge. We agreed but they then said they couldn't fit it until later this week. In the end my boyfriend just paid and we brought the stereo home.

The stereo itself is in perfect condition but they didn't include the radio keys or aerial adaptor which should have been in the box, so he has had to make the 30 mile round trip again today to collect these from the store.

I was less than impressed with this as I thought we should have got discount for having to take an ex-demo model, especially when they said they had reserved one for us, and then to have to make the trip twice (with the price of petrol these days!!).

Last night I sent an email to Halfords explaining I wasn't very impressed and saying I felt we should be given compensation for the inconvenience etc. I have just received a response apologising but basically just fobbing me off saying that sometimes there are technical glitches that mean things aren't available when they say they are online. They have said that they will pass my email onto the area manager also.

I have responded and asked for the email address of the area manager.

I just wondered if anyone could offer me any advice on whether I have a leg to stand on with this?

Sorry for the lengthy message!

Polly.

Comments

• bap98189
    bap98189 Posts: 3,801 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    You don't have a leg to stand on if you are looking for compensation. If you wanted a discount for taking an ex-demo model you should have asked for it at the time, and would probably have got it - most stores will give something off for selling an ex-demo model. But instead you agreed to purchase it at full price, albeit with free fitting thrown in, which you then declined.

That they didn't give you the accessories is an unfortunate mistake, and Halfords may send you a voucher or something by way of an apology, but that's entirely up to them.
  • The_Unready
    The_Unready Posts: 603 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Hi,

No real comment on your problem, but just to let you know that I had similar issues with the Halfords on-line stock check system.

I reserved a battery charger on their web-site, went to pick it up at the local store that same evening but it was nowhere to be seen. The assistant didn't know whether or not there was actually one in stock, whether or not one was due for delivery later in the week, or even whether there was one on the lorry that had just arrived.

I was a little annoyed as I'd gone out of my way to get to the store, but Halfords then had the gall to send me a customer satisfaction survey by e-mail a few days later.

I, of course, highlighted the problems with their phantom stock in the strongest terms, but I've no idea if they acted on my comments as I never heard anything back.

I now give Halfords a wide berth. I've never had a problem with the Argos on-line reservations though, so I'm sure it can't be rocket science to get it right.

The Unready
  • legopony
    legopony Posts: 28 Forumite
    Options
    Thankyou guys, I thought that was probably the case but am going to keep hassling them and see if I get anywhere. I'm nothing if not persistent! x
  • Flyboy152
    Flyboy152 Posts: 17,118 Forumite
    Options
    What a totally uncalled for comment. No chance of adding anything useful to a thread, so you insult the OP instead, well done. I hope you feel content and warm inside and that you can sleep well.
    The greater danger, for most of us, lies not in setting our aim too high and falling short; but in setting our aim too low and achieving our mark
  • Empty_pockets
    Empty_pockets Posts: 1,068 Forumite
    Options
    Had poor experince with my local Halfords on three occasions. I only use them when I have to....and know what to expect. I make sure all questions are given in triplicate, and they still get it wrong. !!!!ing plebs.
  • Equaliser123
    Equaliser123 Posts: 3,404 Forumite
    Options
    bap98189 wrote: »
    You don't have a leg to stand on if you are looking for compensation.

That they didn't give you the accessories is an unfortunate mistake, and Halfords may send you a voucher or something by way of an apology, but that's entirely up to them.

Incorrect. As a matter of law, the stereo didn't comply with the requirements of the Sale of Goods Act. The OP is entitled to be compensated for the costs incurred (i.e. mileage).
  • halibut2209
    halibut2209 Posts: 4,249 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Exactly what I was going to say, Equaliser :)
    One important thing to remember is that when you get to the end of this sentence, you'll realise it's just my sig.
  • fluffnutter
    fluffnutter Posts: 23,179 Forumite
    Options
    Incorrect. As a matter of law, the stereo didn't comply with the requirements of the Sale of Goods Act. The OP is entitled to be compensated for the costs incurred (i.e. mileage).

But only, I should imagine, for the second trip.
    "Growth for growth's sake is the ideology of the cancer cell" - Edward Abbey.
  • hartcjhart
    hartcjhart Posts: 9,463 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    but will nobody think about the children
    I :love: MOJACAR
  • moonrakerz
    moonrakerz Posts: 8,650 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options

Where does SoGA say that ?
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport