Noticed some changes? You can read all about the improvements we've made on the Forum in our latest announcement. We also have a new set of Forum rules so please take the time to give them a read and familiarise yourself.

MSE News: Bank of England promises more £5 notes in ATMs

edited 30 November -1 at 1:00AM in Budgeting & Bank Accounts
14 replies 2.1K views
MSE_GuyMSE_Guy MSE Staff
1.7K Posts
I've been Money Tipped! Newshound! Chutzpah Haggler
edited 30 November -1 at 1:00AM in Budgeting & Bank Accounts
This is the discussion thread for the following MSE News Story:

"The Bank expects there to be £4 billion fivers in circulation next year, compared to £2 billion last year ..."

Replies

• LokoloLokolo Forumite
    20.9K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I already get brand new crisp £5 notes at my uni campus.

I like the way the serials are all in order, bit sad of me, but nevermind ha.
  • "The largest ATM operators have agreed to ensure that at least 1.2% of their total dispense is in £5s. This means that typically, around 10-15% of such operators' ATMs will be re-configured to dispense £5s.

Errr Big Wow!!!
    The Daleks Reign Supreme, All Hail The Daleks!
  • jrawlejrawle Forumite
    243 Posts
    Part of the Furniture 100 Posts
    ✭✭
    I haven't seen fivers come out of a cash machine for about 10 years (when I was at university). And even that particular machine stopped dispensing them.

Reading the BBC discussion thread, who are all these people who take out £100 or more a time? Why does anyone use such a quantity of cash in this day and age?

I use very little cash, and when I do so, it's for small purchases, ofter under £5, and certainly under £10. I hate £20 notes, and without fail, shop assistants always say "Thank you" in a particularly disapproving way when I hand them one. I usually withdraw £20 at a time, and my heart sinks when it gives me a £20 note. They don't even fit in my wallet properly!

Roll on contactless payments. Then I will rarely have to use cash at all!
  • vinh1000vinh1000 Forumite
    1K Posts
    thank god as £5 is often needed if i need to
    fair bit of atms which dispense £5 currently but need more

contactless ftw :)
  • nomoneytodaynomoneytoday Forumite
    4.9K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Combo Breaker
    ✭✭✭✭
    On the flip side, that will half the total amount in the machine, making it more likely to run out at peak periods..
  • DaveF327DaveF327 Forumite
    1.2K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Combo Breaker
    ✭✭✭
    I've read promises of more fivers in cash machines for years now. It never happened.
  • edited 21 March 2011 at 9:02PM
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Forumite
    0 Posts
    MoneySaving Newbie
    edited 21 March 2011 at 9:02PM
    I really can't get excited about £5 notes. I always withdraw in my bank £200+. Whether I get it in 5, 10 or 20'ies doesn't make much of a difference. I do have a debit card, but use it mainly for internet shopping and the odd purchase in high street shops/supermarkets.

Basically, using your debit/credit card in public increases the risk of somebody getting your pin. I just can't understand why people use cards for small transactions. It just slows down things for everybody else.
  • DaveF327 wrote: »
    I've read promises of more fivers in cash machines for years now. It never happened.
    yeah this has been in the news quite a few times already before
  • Lokolo wrote: »
    I already get brand new crisp £5 notes at my uni campus.

I like the way the serials are all in order, bit sad of me, but nevermind ha.

That's handy for you. My fivers all have the same serial number.
  • I think one of the biggest problems is that supermarkets and other major retailers almost never give out £5 notes in change. I saw a notice for checkout operators in Sainsbury's recently which said that they were no longer going to issue bundles of £5 notes to the checkouts and that therefore the operators should hang on to any £5 notes they received and not send them "up the tube". If supermarkets routinely obtained £5 notes in bulk from their banks and issued them to their checkout operators, there would soon be lots of clean new notes in circulation.
This discussion has been closed.