MSE News: Bank of England promises more £5 notes in ATMs

edited 30 November -1 at 1:00AM in Budgeting & Bank Accounts
14 replies 2.2K views
MSE_GuyMSE_Guy MSE Staff
1.7K posts
I've been Money Tipped! Newshound! Chutzpah Haggler
edited 30 November -1 at 1:00AM in Budgeting & Bank Accounts
This is the discussion thread for the following MSE News Story:

"The Bank expects there to be £4 billion fivers in circulation next year, compared to £2 billion last year ..."

Replies

• LokoloLokolo Forumite
    20.8K posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I already get brand new crisp £5 notes at my uni campus.

I like the way the serials are all in order, bit sad of me, but nevermind ha.
  • "The largest ATM operators have agreed to ensure that at least 1.2% of their total dispense is in £5s. This means that typically, around 10-15% of such operators' ATMs will be re-configured to dispense £5s.

Errr Big Wow!!!
    The Daleks Reign Supreme, All Hail The Daleks!
  • jrawlejrawle Forumite
    243 posts
    Part of the Furniture 100 Posts
    ✭✭
    I haven't seen fivers come out of a cash machine for about 10 years (when I was at university). And even that particular machine stopped dispensing them.

Reading the BBC discussion thread, who are all these people who take out £100 or more a time? Why does anyone use such a quantity of cash in this day and age?

I use very little cash, and when I do so, it's for small purchases, ofter under £5, and certainly under £10. I hate £20 notes, and without fail, shop assistants always say "Thank you" in a particularly disapproving way when I hand them one. I usually withdraw £20 at a time, and my heart sinks when it gives me a £20 note. They don't even fit in my wallet properly!

Roll on contactless payments. Then I will rarely have to use cash at all!
  • vinh1000vinh1000 Forumite
    1K posts
    thank god as £5 is often needed if i need to
    fair bit of atms which dispense £5 currently but need more

contactless ftw :)
  • On the flip side, that will half the total amount in the machine, making it more likely to run out at peak periods..
  • DaveF327DaveF327 Forumite
    1.2K posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Combo Breaker
    ✭✭✭
    I've read promises of more fivers in cash machines for years now. It never happened.
  • edited 21 March 2011 at 9:02PM
    [Deleted User][Deleted User]
    0 posts
    MoneySaving Newbie
    edited 21 March 2011 at 9:02PM
    I really can't get excited about £5 notes. I always withdraw in my bank £200+. Whether I get it in 5, 10 or 20'ies doesn't make much of a difference. I do have a debit card, but use it mainly for internet shopping and the odd purchase in high street shops/supermarkets.

Basically, using your debit/credit card in public increases the risk of somebody getting your pin. I just can't understand why people use cards for small transactions. It just slows down things for everybody else.
  • DaveF327 wrote: »
    I've read promises of more fivers in cash machines for years now. It never happened.
    yeah this has been in the news quite a few times already before
  • Lokolo wrote: »
    I already get brand new crisp £5 notes at my uni campus.

I like the way the serials are all in order, bit sad of me, but nevermind ha.

That's handy for you. My fivers all have the same serial number.
  • brianmmbrianmm Forumite
    1 posts
    I think one of the biggest problems is that supermarkets and other major retailers almost never give out £5 notes in change. I saw a notice for checkout operators in Sainsbury's recently which said that they were no longer going to issue bundles of £5 notes to the checkouts and that therefore the operators should hang on to any £5 notes they received and not send them "up the tube". If supermarkets routinely obtained £5 notes in bulk from their banks and issued them to their checkout operators, there would soon be lots of clean new notes in circulation.
This discussion has been closed.

Quick links

Essential Money | Who & Where are you? | Work & Benefits | Household and travel | Shopping & Freebies | About MSE | The MoneySavers Arms | Covid-19 & Coronavirus Support