Dogs yearly booster

Options
Hi everyone just a quick question...

I knew my dogs booster was due about now so rang the vets because haven't recieved a reminder letter, they said for some reason one wasn't sent out and it was due beginning of feb...

So now apparently he needs a full dose of vacs but they will only charge me for the booster as it was their error not sending out the reminder.

Is a full dose necessary? and how much does it normally cost for a booster? I can't remember paying £46 last time :eek:

Comments

• cjmumto2
    cjmumto2 Posts: 276 Forumite
    Options
    Thats sounds bizarre what does a full dose mean, it really doesnt matter if the booster is given sooner or later infact you could skip a year if you wanted too as no proof has been found as to how long the vaccinations actually last.
  • pulliptears
    pulliptears Posts: 14,575 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Photogenic
    Options
    I was under the impression that you could go for 18 months between boosters without the need to start again from puppy dose? I could be wrong though!
  • birduk
    birduk Posts: 466 Forumite
    Options
    It just cost me over £100 for two cats boosters and a quick wormer each. Ouch! One was a couple of months late (as they are a nightmare to get to the vets I waited until they were both due). No harm done and they both had the same jabs. I did make the vet aware that it was late and he had no problem with that.
  • Byatt
    Byatt Posts: 3,496 Forumite
    Options
    My vet told me on Friday I had about 6 months, (Due in Feb) and I'm pretty certain another vet told me the same. I think I went about 8 months late as I couldn't afford it, but no talk of a "full dose" as surely that's what they get anyway? Unless they are including kennel cough?
  • david39
    david39 Posts: 1,968 Forumite
    Options
    There was another thread on this forum some months ago that examined the question as to whether booster jabs were necessary at all (other than to get your dog into a boarding kennel or to line the vets' pockets).

Several extracts from American vetrinary magazines were quoted, suggesting that once the intial doses had been given, the antibodies stayed in the dog's system for 6-9 years before a top-up was required. Some suggested that the annual booster was actually detrimental to the dog's long-term health.

We have to put our dog into kennels for our annual holidays so have to get him vaccinated - the cost for this, kennel cough vaccine, worming tablets and anti-flea dose plus a general checkover with a stethoscope - about £49 at our local vets.
  • nikki702
    nikki702 Posts: 1,098 Forumite
    Options
    Well I am going to talk to the vet about it, the same thing happened last year I was a bit late and he had to have two injections then two more 2 weeks later, listed in his book as primary vaccinations.

If I agree to this "full dose" it will mean its the 3rd time he is having these and he aint even 3 until August
  • spendingmad
    spendingmad Posts: 488 Forumite
    Options
    I would speak to the vet again and question how long between vaccinations he gives. Surely the vaccination doesn't 'disappear' 365days after the first dose?? My vets say 12 months but will along 2 months either way for convienance to pet owner. If your pet does not have any other medical history why not ring around some other surgeries and see what they say. You might be able to get it abit cheaper as well.

FYI - I pay about £33 for vacs and checkup.
  • janninew
    janninew Posts: 3,781 Forumite
    Options
    I was 2 months late getting my dog his booster and we in effect had to start again! Cost me twice as much! I wouldn't get my dogs done, but its a requirement of my insurance policy.
    :heart2: Newborn Thread Member :heart2:

'Children reinvent the world for you.' - Susan Sarandan
  • Paradigm
    Paradigm Posts: 3,613 Forumite
    Name Dropper Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    janninew wrote: »
    I wouldn't get my dogs done, but its a requirement of my insurance policy.

An unfair requirement that can be challenged!

For example: How does not being vaccinated affect any claim for a road accident involving broken bones etc? It doesn't!

Just because an insurance co puts clauses into a policy doesn't make them right or reasonable.
    Always try to be at least half the person your dog thinks you are!
  • polly453
    polly453 Posts: 480 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post Photogenic First Anniversary
    Options
    I understood that the vaccinations can lapse by 3 months max before beginning another program.
    Vets for pets have a great offer on at the moment, all vacinations are £10 or you can pay £100 to cover the pet for its life time of vaccinations, which could be a huge saving, these were the prices I was quoted two weeks ago so a phone call to your local surgery might be a good idea.
    Always shop around for pet treatment, I called two different vets this week for quotes for one of my dogs and they quoted a difference of £50, guess which vet will get my dog visiting soon!!!!!
    http://www.vets4pets.com/
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.7K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport