PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

Slow Cooker Meat Question

Options
Hi,
This may seem a really stupid question but I have defrosted some chicken to make into a curry in my slow cooker, but I have never used it for meat before.
Do I need to cook the meat first or can I just throw all the ingredients in together raw?
It will be cooking all day - about 9 hours.
Thanks, and sorry for being a bit thick!:o
:smileyhea
Rachel xx

Comments

• TNG
    TNG Posts: 6,930 Forumite
    Options
    maybe worth browning in a pan, but you don't need to cook it through

If it was me, I'd just chuck it all in.........

mmMMMmmm slow cooked curry. Now where did I put that MegaIndex......:D
    :dance:There's a real buzz about the neighbourhood :dance:
  • rebl43
    rebl43 Posts: 670 Forumite
    Options
    Thanks for that! My husband phoned me an hour ago to tell me that 6 mates were coming round tonight for a poker night.... oh and could I do a curry?!!!!
    MEN!
    Rachel xx
  • squeaky
    squeaky Posts: 14,129 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    Actually it me who left it laying around the place, here:-

http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.html?t=235198

But the bit you really want is this bit:-

The Complete Slow Cooker Collection

:)
    Hi, I'm a Board Guide on the Old Style and the Consumer Rights boards which means I'm a volunteer to help the boards run smoothly and can move and merge posts there. Board guides are not moderators and don't read every post. If you spot an inappropriate or illegal post then please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. It is not part of my role to deal with reportable posts. Any views are mine and are not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.
    Never ascribe to malice that which is adequately explained by incompetence.
    DTFAC: Y.T.D = £5.20 Apr £0.50
  • rebl43
    rebl43 Posts: 670 Forumite
    Options
    OMG I didn't know this list existed!
    There is a whole new slow cooker world out there waiting to be discovered!
    Rachel xx
  • TNG
    TNG Posts: 6,930 Forumite
    Options
    rebl43 wrote:
    OMG I didn't know this list existed!
    There is a whole new slow cooker world out there waiting to be discovered!

:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D
    :dance:There's a real buzz about the neighbourhood :dance:
  • Capt_Slog
    Options
    rebl43 wrote:
    Hi,
    This may seem a really stupid question but I have defrosted some chicken to make into a curry in my slow cooker, but I have never used it for meat before.
    Do I need to cook the meat first or can I just throw all the ingredients in together raw?
    It will be cooking all day - about 9 hours.
    Thanks, and sorry for being a bit thick!:o

Although you might not need to 'cook' it, I would certainly make sure that it was very hot (yes, I know its a curry:rolleyes: ) before it went into the cooker.

Otherwise you are slowly warming it to cooking temperature, and depending upon your slow-cooker, this might take hours!

Something that I regularly do, if I can't be bothered to get the slow-cooker out from under the sink......

Cook whatever on the hob on a low light for an hour, then put the pan on a good thick oven glove and cover it with a tea-towel. I then add as many tea-towels as I have around, followed by folded up hand towels to make a good thick covering. Then I go to bed. 7-8 hours later when I get up, the pan is just warm, which means that it probably went on cooking for another two hours or so. IT REALLY DOES WORK.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure