Real life MMD: Should I keep the train voucher?

Options

Comments

• Cimscate
    Cimscate Posts: 145 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Another lightweight problem, this is such a no brainer I can;t understand why it's even here!
  • hauxtongill
    Options
    You have ascertained that there's no way of giving these vouchers to the company and you were the one who spent extra time on the train. I don't suppose the company compensated you for this. So I think you can legitimately use the tickets
  • Pellyman
    Pellyman Posts: 53 Forumite
    Options
    Was ANYONE inconvenienced?

If the delay occurred on your outward journey (as you imply) yet you managed to complete your task, without extending your own scheduled working time, then neither your employer nor you were inconvenienced. The MORAL dilemma (if any), in that situation, is whether you should have claimed in the first place ?

If the delay occurred on the return journey; then either you got home late and the 'compo' is rightfully yours, or you got back into work late in which case your employer lost an hour of your labour. Either way, £70 an hour is not a bad rate rate of pay (unless you're a banker!).

Personally, I would regard the £70 credit (it's not cash) from the railways as being a 'penalty' for their failure to meet the terms of their agreement with you, as YOU were the passenger. Enjoy the vouchers and sleep easily.
  • time4change
    Options
    Seems straightforward and simple to me. The definition of taking something without the owner's permission is theft. The money used for the journey didn't belong to you so any refund isn't your property either.
    If 'the company' (eg your line manager) says you can keep them then get it in writing and enjoy.
    If you just use them without checking you are a thief.
    If you were inconvenienced during work time and feel you should be compensated then you take that up with your line manager.
    Old debt paid off - £30,016.34
    Current Manageable Debt : £1,500 K&Co, £500 Capital One (Total -£2,000)
    Monies to be saved £10,000
    Comping: Only did once for 4 hours and won a frying pan and stuff!
  • Augustus_the_Strong
    Options
    Use the vouchers to offset against future work train journeys, instead of booking a new ticket. Enjoy your clear conscience and the fact that you have a job.
  • clarinette
    clarinette Posts: 28 Forumite
    Options
    Of course you should keep the vouchers, you were the one who was inconvenienced, and you were the one to whom the train company was apologising!
  • LBEST1
    Options
    I agree with most here....email your boss, explain the situation and keep the response. If you can keep them, happy days - you`ll be able to enjoy them with a clear conscience. If not whats 70 quid these days, be glad you have a job and don`t risk losing it!
  • Ebenezer_Screwj
    Options
    Use the vouchers, it is a personal issue between yourself and the Train Operating Company. The vouchers are compensation for your delay not a refund of the ticket price.
  • Shady2307
    Shady2307 Posts: 31 Forumite
    Options
    If your work had claimed for a refund on what they paid then they should keep the vouchers, however, they didn't. It was YOU that claimed for the voucher.

So no dilema that I can see.
  • Marco12452
    Marco12452 Posts: 178 Forumite
    Options
    Yes, keep it, you were one to receive the hassle, not the finance director.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.4K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.2K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure