Real life MMD: Should I keep the train voucher?

Options

Comments

• tabaira
    tabaira Posts: 24 Forumite
    Options
    yes. lucky you
  • julie777
    julie777 Posts: 340 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    If you don't usually travel by train I would advertise them or put them on Ebay.:j
  • tryfive
    tryfive Posts: 82 Forumite
    Options
    It seems most people here are taking the view that "it was you who was inconvenienced, it's you who should keep the vouchers."

From a more ethical perspective, it's a bit more complex than that! It really depends on whether were you "on company time" at the time you were delayed or not.

If your employer was paying the train fare, and paying you for the time you were travelling, the vouchers should be handed over (or at least offered) to your employer. On the same basis, you should have made the claim (filled out the relevant forms, etc) during office hours as well!

If you were travelling on your own time (i.e. out of work hours, and not getting compensated for it), the it's fair enough to say that it was your time that was wasted, and you should keep the vouchers.

The real question is "who lost out as a consequence of the train being late" - the answer to this should tell you who the vouchers should go to.
  • tgroom57
    tgroom57 Posts: 1,431 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    This is a no-brainer. You were the one who experienced the delay: You use the vouchers - it gives the train company a chance to get in your good books.
    For that reason, I would NOT sell them on ebay.
  • cuba2008
    cuba2008 Posts: 40 Forumite
    Options
    I've read what Menshavik has said and think he is wrong. Collecting Air Miles and using them for personal use is obviously wrong, unless your employer has specifically given you permission to do so. Air Miles could be used by the Company to send another employee on a business trip. However, with regard to the vouchers you received for the train delay, I agree with others in that it was you who was inconvenienced - not your employer. Payment of vouchers is not a refund/partial refund of the fare paid. It is payment for being delayed. Same applies if your plane is delayed and the airline passes out food vouchers/puts you up in a hotel. You wouldn't go without food and give your employer the vouchers would you? And you certainly wouldn't turn down the chance of a night at a hotel and sleep at the airport as, doing that wouldn't enable your company to claim a free night at a hotel further down the line. Rail companies and airlines have to by law pay compensation when there are delays to their services - that is compensation not refund so the vouchers are yours to keep.
  • JoannaS_3
    JoannaS_3 Posts: 103 Forumite
    Options
    I can't believe you even feel like this is a 'moral dilemma'!!!!!

1. You were the one who was inconvenienced not your company

2. They gave you vouchers for rail travel not cash

3. Stop wasting our time and let someone with a real dilemma get some advice

4. Enjoy using your rail vouchers! :-)
    Debt owed £4000, Saved (to pay back) £300, only £3,700 to go!!

My best money saving tip: Good manners cost NOTHING! So please be nice to each other! :happylove
  • curriej99
    curriej99 Posts: 107 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker Home Insurance Hacker!
    Options
    I'd give the vouchers to my boss. But then I usually donate my salary to the company I work for, as I love them so much. They have given me a written warning however for turning up in a mess, as I can't afford a shower and am sleeping in a cardboard box under the Marylebone flyover.
  • hairypitz
    hairypitz Posts: 78 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Yes. You suffered.
    It's always right to complain about bad train service and take the compensation. It's the only hope that they may one day improve.
  • TheFaqqer
    TheFaqqer Posts: 96 Forumite
    Options
    You were inconvenienced, you were the one that asked for compensation, you were the one that was compensated.

Some years back, I had a hotel bump me out because they were full. They put me up somewhere else for free, but I said that that wasn't compensation enough because it made no difference to me - the company was paying, so they needed to make something up to me personally as well. Result - free weekend in any Hilton of my choice for myself and my wife :D
  • mrcrazy04
    mrcrazy04 Posts: 70 Forumite
    edited 16 March 2011 at 2:31PM
    Options
    I seem to recall that if the refund is over about £40, they should send a cheque, and can be asked to swap the vouchers for a cheque.

I'd probably ask my employer if they wanted it, hoping they'd say no, and if I was allowed to keep it I'd try and swap it for a cheque.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.4K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.2K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure